Can you make an icon?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DarkUnderlord, Apr 10, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Some of you have probably seen little icons associated with websites (depending on what browser you're using). For an example check out http://www.rpgcodex.com/ and look for a little icon associated with the page either in the top of your browser, next to a bookmark of the page (when you bookmark it) or in the location bar of your browser. This only works in IE5 and up and in some versions of Mozilla / Netscape.

We'd like one of those little icons for Terra-Arcanum but unfortunately my graphic skills are somewhat lacking. So, we'd like someone else to have a shot at it. If you're interested in helping us out, the icon must be exactly 16 pixels by 16 pixels and have no more than 16 colors.

If you do decide to have a shot at it, you can e-mail your icon it to me at darkunderlord@terra-arcanum.com or upload it to a website and link to it in this thread. If we decide to use your icon, in return you can have:
    • Kudos
    • Custom Avatar (if you want one)
    • Custom Title (if you want one)
    We have no ideas for the icon. So what you decide to do is up to you. The only requirement is that it is relevant to our website. Relevance defined as being something Arcanum / ToEE / Bloodlines / Troika / "World of Troika Games" related.

You can read more about these icons here.

I would make this a competition and mention it in the news, but I have nothing for you to win and that didn't work last time. :(

2. Icairus

Icairus New Member

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Not that I want to complain or anything but...

4. DarkUnderlord

I can see the icons (You have to type the URL into a new browser window, rather than linking to it). I never thought of using the Arcanum icon. I like it though. Wanna spruce it up (ta-try3.ico looks the best out of those two), give it a see-through background (instead of the black) and show me again?

We also have the possibility of using multiple icons (IE: An Arcanum one, ToEE's icon and Bloodlines). So we could change the icon depending on what front page style you choose (that's another system I still have to implement). THat's if you or anyone else feels like making one or two more... :)

EDIT: All righty, it should work now. Also, for the two people who sent icons, renaming a bitmap .ico doesn't make it an icon file. You actually need to use a program that can save things as .ico. Anyway, I edited Icairus ta-try3, added some transparency and put it up. Tell me what you think.

5. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

[​IMG]

There's mine. I'd be willing to redo it or make some adjustments if you want. ;)

6. xento

xento New Member

It looks nice, DU!
    I was trying to make one myself, but then found out that I couldn't save the files as .ico, so I'll just let someone else take the cake. :p

7. DarkUnderlord

Uhh... what is it?

Xento: You can make it as a small .bmp if you want. I've got a bunch of icon programs that I can use to convert it. Well, either that or you just google for some yourself.

8. mathboy

mathboy New Member

The icon isn't working for me. I'm using Mozilla Firefox. :cry:

9. xento

xento New Member

The problem with saving it as a bitmap is that bitmaps don't support transparency, so all the transparent areas will be in white, and it's difficult to set it back to being transparent again. But I suppose I could give it a try.

By the way, could you recommend any good programs that can let me convert images to icon files?

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Not that I want to pick on you or anything, but it's all on the site DU posted. :)

It's called Irfanview. You can get it from here.

11. Canis

Canis New Member

While we're on the topic, for some reason Firefox always assigns a random icon to Terra Arcanum. Last week it used DeviantArt's icon, and this week I'm getting Yahoo's.

Keeps things interesting anyway.

12. xento

xento New Member

D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out. :)

EDIT: Here it is. I admit that it doesn't look very fancy, and it really isn't very fancy (not when it's 16x16, anyway; the image I made and then shrank look a helluva lot better), but I figure that it fits the theme fairly well. And yes, it does have a transparent background.
    [​IMG]

13. DarkUnderlord

14. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Making images that are 16x16 isn't much fun, because it's hard to put much detail into such a small space. I mean, making my signature was fun, because I actually get to put a little detail in the stinker.

15. xento

xento New Member

Agreed.

Mine is a gear with TA in front of it.

16. DarkUnderlord

So you're saying you lack the artistic ability to make small, meaningful images yet can make overly large meanningless images which you slash with colour? Okay. Nothing wrong with that.

17. xento

xento New Member

Are you going to stick with Icairus' icon, then?

18. DarkUnderlord

I think so for now, yes. Mathboy's Tim Cain icon was funny though.

19. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Now the icon is working for me in Firefox too :)

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    Can't you make a larger picture and then shrink it down in Irfanview?

Our Host!