California burning to the ground

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Oct 23, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I rarely follow the news, but since mayhem catches my eyes...

http://www.calfires.com/

Right, so who do we have out there? The only Californian I can think of straight off the bat is Sleek_Jeek, but he's so rarely on these days we're likely not to hear about it, though I'm sure it would be a rant on how poorly Governator does his job and how the fire wouldn't even have happened had there been a communist governor in office.

2. Madness

Madness New Member

I'm Californian, a fire actually really close to where I live. Pretty pwnsome.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Yeah, then it would turn over on how poorly a nazi governor does against the ideal communist governor, and some leftist wing-nut would start crapping his pants over how great it would be if nazis and commies would all go to hell (or start making out if they were lesbians). Eventually, it would circle back to Schwarzeneggar who what somehow grabbed a hold of the first person that had criticized him, and popped their head like a zit with his massive terminator bicep.

On the more serious side of things, those wild fires seem to be getting more frequent. Is there a string of serial arsonists on the loose in the west?

4. Langolier

Langolier Member

No, Califnoria is just dry and brittle like that. It's called the Golden State because the hills are all covered in dried up dead grass.

5. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Wildfires are becoming more frequent and intense. Why? The lefties would have you believe it is global warming and our evil, carbon-spewing SUV's. But not so. It is because the Forest Service has for many years been required by law to prevent and extinguish forest fires. As you may know, forest fires are part of the natural life-cycle of the ecosystem. When they are prevented/extinguished, there accumulates an excess amount of fuel. So what happens next? Catastrophicly huge fires that can't be put out burn down all the celebrities' homes.

So the moral of the story? Don't try to fix the envirionment, you'll just fuck it up more.

And it's time ol' Smoky the Bear paid for his meddling!

6. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

How do you explain the fact that the only times rain comes to New York anymore, it reminds me of a tropical storm?

7. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

I lived in California my whole life until very recently :/

8. Jungle Japes

I'm sorry to hear that.

9. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Heh, my parents found this "wonderful place" called Pittsburgh, PA... I miss the west coast :-(

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I hear that town's lovely when the coal clouds are eclipsing the sun.

11. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Who the hell told you Pittsburgh has coal clouds? I hate this place, but it doesn't have coal clouds :roll:

12. Jungle Japes

I'm partial to western Washington myself, with its overcast skies and constant drizzle. And big green trees. It's everything that Iraq is not.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    I like it here in the north of Sweden. Nothing quite like sitting inside with a nice big cup of tea or mulled wine when it's -35 outside. In recent years though autumns and winters have been really strange and mild (because of American Forest Service regulations I'm sure) so we're not getting as much of that as we used to, but it's still damn nice... except when you need to get out, that is.

Forest fires are incredibly important. No forest fires, no raspberries.

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I did not literally mean clouds of carbon molecules Spiffy, I was making a semi-metaphorical joke referencing where all the smog in your city comes from: A. cars, like everywhere else. B. coal mining and burning, which Pittsburg does like Boston fishes, and like San Diego spontaneously lights on fight. It's like a hometown specialty.

15. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Don't knock Pittsburgh, I'm from there. The traffic sucks and the people talk funny but....fuck it, it's Home.

16. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

in case anyone would like to worry about me, i live in Cali. most of fish's family lives in San Diego, although on the south side so they're relatively safe for now. unfortunately, his grandpa is in poor health and the smoke is really fucking him over right now. also, they've evacuated part of Camp Pendleton, the Navy base there. large chunks of military housing have been emptied and the residents are currently living in a stadium. there were 17 fires burning in the area this morning, two have now been contained, but they were the smallest, so it's not making a big difference. altogether, the remaining 15 are only 50% contained, and more of SD is being evacuated every hour. if things continue to get worse they'll start sending the Marines from here to help out. the base already donated all cots from the training facility at Camp Wilson to the Pendleton evacuees.

and the FBI just announced tonight that the biggest fire was definitely arson set Sunday night.

the smoke has started drifting over the mountains here, and is messing with Viktor, who has a cold, and got to spend a couple hours in the ER today, because he's so damn little. so we have to keep him indoors as much as possible, and prop him up to sleep, otherwise he chokes and hacks. i've had 9 hours of sleep since Sunday morning. overall, everything here is crappy.

17. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Holy shit, that sucks rosie. I didn't know you were down there. Good luck to you guys. <3

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    That fucking sucks sweaty gorilla balls.

Any friends or relatives you could crash at if things turn grim? I mean, I could put you up but I'm half the fucking planet away.

As for Victor, would it work if you had one of them tents people with asthma sometimes use? Of course, it won't help if you don't actually HAVE one, but if you get it from somewhere...

Or was that what you meant by "propping him up"?

Once the identity of the arsonist has been revealed, can't Fish just fetch an M60 and play with him at point blank range?

19. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Can't say how sorry I am for you Rosie...

And well, what DE said.

All luck to you.

20. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

thanks, guys. i'm not actually in the fire's path, i'm at a base 3 hours away, which gives you an idea of how craptastic this fire is, that the smoke is effecting us.

and by propping him up i mean he can only sleep if he's being held upright.

we're definitely worried about fish's family, though.

Our Host!