Buying from GOG.com???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wastelandhero, Sep 10, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Been awhile since I have played Arcanum, (and been on this site, good to see it's still up and running), and no longer have my game.. :( . I am looking for an un-biased opinion on GOG.com as far as downloading goes. Do they host their own downloads or do they refer you to another site? Are they reliable in the content offered?

Thanks...

2. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Unbiased opinion, you say?
    Uh, well, I for one think GOG is a terrific site. They host their own downloads (and they offer a "downloader program" for larger files, but I haven't used it myself). I've bought Fallout 1&2, Planescape, Unreal Tournament, Broken Sword and, of course, Arcanum there and I've never had any problems with any of them. Their releases are fully patched and often include manuals (and I know that their version of Arcanum includes one), soundtrack (unfortunately not included in Arcanum, but hey, you can find that here) and other nice little things.

Best of all though, is that you can save the games that you've downloaded, so that in case of GOG having to close up shop you will still not lose your games.

Bless GOG the almighty!
    Praise Be!

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Besides your other alternative is illegal and frowned upon here.

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

There is really no reason to be apprehensive about dealing with gog.com that I can imagine.

5. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I bought Icewind Dale II from them, as far as I can remember they do host their own games too instead of directing you to another site. It worked perfectly fine and there weren't any issues with downloading, so I say go for it.

6. werozzi

werozzi Member

It's very easy to use, and they tend to give you a lot of free goodies, I got Fallout 1 for free with them.
    Their downloads system also makes easier to chabge computer.
    Plus, they have a buncha good titles.

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I purchased a cardboard box copy of Arcanum back in 2002 (at age 10!), so I pirate the game whenever I damn well please.

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    When I was a kid, a cardboard box was a game in itself.

9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Re:

It's facts like this I gradually learn that despite my initial assumptions many members here are mid-twenty somethings like myself. When I first joined the forum I was under the impression that most people here were in their late 30's, approaching the 40's with a deep and ugly cynicism which made them pour scorn onto others. I feel both somewhat relieved that most people (that I'm aware of) aren't around the 40 mark, but also slightly worried as well. In some ways, it seems like it was a good thing to be a latecomer.

10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I suspect that by the time they're in their thirties, most people have more important things to do than post on this forum. Such as looking after tiny squealing humans.

You'll see.

11. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Re:

My brother is playing a pirated version of the game at present. I fussed at him, but dropped that matter almost at once when I realized he'd just be playing my boxed copy anyway.

Our Host!