Bunch of Questions from a Newby

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glupii, Nov 25, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Glupii

Glupii New Member

OK here we go. I have been playing for a while now and the manual, while entertaining, is rather abysmal on actual dissemination of information. So I bring my questions to the real experts...You.

1. In the description of a magic Item what do the stats in Parenthesis mean? For example if something says it is AC:10(+8), what does this mean?

2. On the same lines as #1, What does Magic Power Available XX% mean?

3. I understand DR is Damage Resistance. But I have not found any definate description of what this stat means. I suspect it is an item's Resistance to being broken. Can anyone confirm this?

4. Is there anyway to fix an item that has gone red and is fully Broken? The fellow in the Armor shop said he can not repair something that is broken. (Which somehow seems odd to me, is that not what the word repair means?)

5. What does it mean when a potion will heal so many "Points of Poison"? Is there a degree to which you are poisoned? As far as I can tell you are simply poisoned for a duration at the end of which you stop losing hp's. Can someone explain better to me?

6. Potions and Essances. Is there a difference? I have an Essance of Intellect or Intelligence or something like that. Is this perm or is there a duration?

7. I have a cloak that says it is "++Prowling". In my character screen it shows no prowling skill. Do I have to have a point in it to make use of this item?

8. My unlocking cantrip has yet to successfully open ANYTHING. Doors, Chests, even Barrles remain locked after I am unconcious from loss of fatigue. What am I doing wrong?

Well that is about it for now. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Well, I'll answer what I can, and if I make any mistakes, I'm sure someone will correct me.

1. The numbers in parentheses refer to added AC due to magical aptitude. If you have 100% MA, you get all 8 of the extra AC. Less MA and you get less of the bonus.

2. This refers to power available for item spells, and to how much of the item's capability you're able to use based on your magical aptitude.

3. I think DR refers to how much physical damage from a blow the item will prevent.

4. I've heard that Maxim can fix a completely broken item.

5. You've noticed the countdown that begins when you're poisoned? Certain potions eliminate numbers from the countdown.

6. I think potions are magical and essences are tech. I haven't tried it, but I bet an essence would work on a Techie, where a potion might not.

7. I don't know.

8. I've never used that spell, but I hear it's noisy and nearly worthless.

Good luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feldon Kane on 2001-11-25 03:42 ]</font>

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You've got questions, I've got answers. This is going to take a while :smile:.

1. The item in brackets is the magick bonus that the item gives. A +4 bonus is usually charmed, +8 is magick, +12 is mystick and +16 is arcane. Those numbers can vary, but the order is the same.

2. Magick power available XX% is the percentage bonus you get from the item in brackets. The items magick-tech complexity compared to your magick-tech alignment is used to calculate the bonus received. I don't know what the formula is, but that's how it works. If you have Magick Power Available 100%, then you get whatever is in the brackets (using the above example, you'd get the full +8.) If you had 75%, you'd get a +6 bonus etc etc etc.

3. Damage resistance is your resistance to damage, not the items. If you have 68% damage resistance, and you get hit for 100 points of damage, you'd only take 32 damage. This stat is increased or decreased by your armour, natural stats (strength and willpower I believe affect this, someone correct me if I'm wrong?) and spells (Shield of Protection). The maximum resistance you can have is 95%.

4. A repair master can repair broken items. The repair master is in Caladon. I assume he could fix broken items. His name is Hieroglonyius Maxim or something like that. The guy who built the blimp and the planes that shot it down...

5. That means it has the ability to do that. The potions of health and fatigue (red and blue bottles) heal up to what they display, and that much is also based on your magick-tech alignment. A magick character will get a lot of use out of them, a tech character will get almost none. A poison potion will heal a random amount of poison damage, no matter what your alignment (at least, I think it's not affected by your magick-tech alignment, it isn't listed in blue like the other potions). Your poison damage meter shows up when you get hit by a poison attack - spider, envenomed weapon etc. It displays as a number in your health bar, and your health bar turns yellow/green.

6. I don't think there is a difference between potions and essences. If one is listed in blue writing, that means it is magickal, so I think that the bonus you get will be based on your magick-tech alignment.

7. The cloak of ++prowling doesn't do jack. I don't know what it's about, but it doesn't add to your prowling like it's supposed to. Maybe if you have prowling skills, then it will receive a bonus from the cloak, but maybe not. I've never seen it work.

8. The unlocking cantrip uses your magick alignment. If your alignment exceedes the lock's difficulty, then it will be opened. If it's less, then it doesn't do anything. If you have a magick aptitude of 100, then you'll be able to open almost any object without difficulty. If you have the spell, and you are a tech character, then it'll be useless.

Hope it helps :smile:.

4. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

5. Glupii

Glupii New Member

Thanks for the great info

That is exactly what I was looking for. depressing, but usefull. I have been maintaining a 0 balance between tech and magic which tells me the unlocking cantrip will be useless to me I spent the point on nothing. The disarm spell works but not that one.

Thanks again for the great info!

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You're maintaining a 0 balance? How are you finding the game? I go fully for either magick or technology (and I can say that I prefer technology, although magick weapons are for the most part very good...).

7. Glupii

Glupii New Member

0 Balance

Well I am having a problem with getting locked things open. I need to blow up chests more often then not if they are locked and since I no longer have dynomite, I have to use Molotov's. Takes between 5 and 10 to blow open a door and around 5 to kill a chest. For some reason when I throw a Molotov at a chest, Sogg and Virgil attack it so it takes less to open it.

Other than that, I have been concentrating on my stats and skills. At 22 I am a master melee with a 20 dex. I am holding my own in most situations.

I think I will play my next character as a Dwarven Tech just to see how that plays out.

8. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

the reason why sogg and virgil attack is because you're initiating battle, so they just wade on in and damage their weapons usually

Our Host!