Bullshit moments of Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Wolfsbane, Feb 7, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You know those moments when you feel like the game has betrayed you? When your defeat has nothing to do with poor skill or tactics, but can be blamed on the very mechanics of the game? That's what I'm after. Write about those anticlimatic times when you called bullshit on Arcanum. Let it all out.

Here's one to start us off:

A long time ago I played this Half-Ogre fighter. I was going to Dernholm to get my master training from mr. Stout when all of a sudden a group of poisonous rats attacked me. I used to play the game i realtime back then, so battle was a bit more dangerous, but five rats or so was no biggie. The first hit knocks me down. I recover, only to get knocked down again. Third time's the charm, right? Only, I get stunned that time and get to die like a dog. Funny part is that I hadn't saved for a looong time. I call bullshit.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call that bullshit. I would call that a lesson teaching to do the smart thing and always save before exposing yourself to the dangers of the wild lands between locations. You never know when something unexpectedly bad will happen there.

The "NPC stealing stuff which rightfully belongs to the player" stories from this thread definitely fit here, though. I'm sure everyone suffered from such an event, one way or another.

3. jca

jca New Member

Just got together with Raven.. I meet a bunch of kite berserkers. As the encounter starts me and Raven are in the same tile and as she shoots her arrows, dozen of them hit me and my character automatically retaliates and kills Raven..

Don't know if it's bullshit moment exactly, since I laughed.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Man, that's golden :D I've laughed at quite a lot off bullshit in my days, so it counts.

5. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

On one of my first whacks at Arcanum I picked the Black Stone Blade from the Tarant Sewers and unwittingly turned my quick throwing elf into a permanently sluggish, 1 dexterity wimp.

6. symban

symban New Member

I was travelling on foot (thanks to my dear companion Dog, as a 100 TA tech I am not allowed on trains), was attacked by bears in a snowy area. (wanted to keep the XP for my PC so called "#back off" for my team.)

Then my PC slipped on ice (!!!) and bears feasted on my knocked off PC while my 5 trustworthy companions watched the show with popcorns. (could not ask them to attack as it was not my control yet due to being knocked off). didnt have a save file for a while... still I was awed to see there was slipping on the ice in Arcanum mechanics.

7. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

My #back off# experience greed has bitten me more than once.

8. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

When I played for the first time, I didn't expect Gore Guards to be so powerful for their level. I died quite a few times in the Ancient Mazes.

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

My only bad experiences are as gun toting players who receive a critical miss and end up blowing off their own arm.

10. Kaitol

Kaitol New Member

Spellcaster's using knives when low leveled and hamstringing themselves. Repeatedly.

11. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

You just reminded me of one of the bullshit moments, when my Sogg Mead Mug suddenly started to use all the throwing knives he could found...

Note: Those often hit me, 'cause he doesn't have any points in Throwing.

12. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

It isn't really bullshit, but it drives me nuts anyway...

I just did the quest to get the Bow of Ecclesiastes for Kietzel Pierce again. And it really annoys me that Sebastian is the only follower I've taken into that area with all the Tattered Bowmen who will try to help me out by using ranged attacks.

Life would be so much easier if Jormund or Perriman Smythe would cast Fire Flash occasionally. Instead they stand around and get in Virgil's way when he tries to run over with some bandages. At least Sebastian will draw a pistol and do what he can for me. Jormund just gets in my way if I don't watch what I'm doing right when we first materialize in that "maze" section.

I hate having to use Spatial Distortion to get away from my followers because we're all getting shot at, I can't shoot back (because there are two or three of my faithful companions in my line of fire) and they're not even trying to bum rush the bad guys with their Melee weapons.

IIRC, Waroman may actually try to help you if he can get around all the useless magi and melee guys. But I don't remember him doing all that much the last time I took him in there. Which seems weird. He should be right there beside you evening the odds a little.

Yes, getting help amounts to cheating on the test. It's still annoying to take a group in there and then have them mostly leave me to fend for myself just because it makes the quest more challenging.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Blaming them for not trying to do something that cannot be done is a bit unfair.

14. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Whatever Muro, you're just pissed that you haven't figured out cold fusion like I told you to do.

15. feliciano2040

feliciano2040 New Member

My bullshit moment

My bullshit moments pop up every once in a while when my tech gunfighter, who by the way has 20 dexterity, 20 perception and is a master firefighter, still gets critically hit....................................................by himself.

16. Eldritch Magelord

Eldritch Magelord New Member

my biggest BS moment probably came when I raised dog and he came back pissed at me for some reason and killed me and the rest of the party in the blink of an eye. Lesson learned dont let dog die nor forget to feed him.

17. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I read Hawkthorne's post as quoted. I felt the strong desire afterwards to buy coach bags though I was unsure what they were - I need them though, real bad.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Our Host!