Brand new GTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrnobodie, Jun 14, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

I liked GTA2 better, The graphics weren't too bad, and the gameplay was good. I'm not much for the 3d system, I enjoy above view games. Like Baldurs gate2 and arcanum.

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

2d graphics are much better. 3d tends to give me a headache... that, and i get confused because prerendered backgrounds just look like grey or brown mush...

3. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

How can you say that GTA1 or GTA2 is in any way better than III or Vice City? Not only are the graphics insanely better, but the gameplay itself is far deeper and more rich, as are the missions and cinematics. Okay, so the guy in GTAIII isn't specifically named, he bears an uncanny resembelance to Tommy Vercetti, both in physical appearance and mannerisms. In addition, I believe Phil the arms dealer also appears in GTAIII and already knows the character, which would make sense if he was Tommy.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Because they liked those games better?

Put me on that list too. I don't know why, but I've always regarded the original GTA as the best part. :)

5. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

Graphics aren't everything ;).

And yes, I like the original GTA more.

6. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Certainly not, but better graphics almost always enhances the gameplay experience. How can it not? If what you are looking at is more attractive, it makes the game more enjoyable. For example, compare Mortal Kombat 4 and Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. Both games are similar in gameplay terms, but the Deadly Alliance graphics are infinitely superior. Thus, Deadly Alliance is more enjoyable to play.

7. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Better graphics alone do not necessarily make a better game. Simplistic graphics are often better, they aren't as distracting, and the emphasis goes to gameplay.
    GTA and GTAIII are two very different games. The entire style and feel of the game is different. Therefore it is very possible to like 1 more than 3.
    Graphics are, in fact, the least significant of a long list of differences.
    I don't know about two, I haven't really played it, and GTA3 and Vice City are really the same game.

8. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

That is only true if you have 2 games with equally entertaining gameplay, comparable story, genre and only then will better graphics make one of them more attractive. Other than that your statement is crap. Example? Compare Deus Ex 1 and 2.

Yep, only that VC has higher system requirements. Beats me why. Other than due to programmers' lazyness of course.

9. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Absolutely. That was exactly my point.

The addition of improved voice acting, more graphical eye candy, better, less-linear missions, more weapons, helicopters, boats, and most of all, motorcycles, didn't have any effect on the game?

10. DEATH AT THE DOOR

I cannot deny that graphics improve the game. However it's never my reason to like or not a game. BTW, what do you think is more important in a game graphicwise: textures or models?
    In my opinion, bad textures can fuck-up a perfect model whereas an average model with good textures would still look bearable.

I never noticed any improvements over GTA3 in VC. As for eye candy, what was added? Choppers were, no-doubt, fun to fly but not for long.
    The main difference between GTA3 and VC was the radio.
    I think it was the only of the GTAs where I stayed in the car just to finish listening to Megadeth's "Skin Of My Teeth", for example.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I actually ripped one of the songs from the original GTA and it's now in my regular playlist. No idea what it's called or who it's by though :). First song on track 7 if anyone's interested, and has the GTA CD...

12. DEATH AT THE DOOR

I only remember a song which starts like a conversation. It was a long time ago but I still remember the "Gonna fight you" line. :D

13. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

Stop pulling facts out of your ass, Siggy. The main character in GTA3 is unnamed, so most people refer to him as Fido. Also, Phil the one-armed, illegal-weapons salesman tells Fido (more or less) after you complete the quest where the Colombians try to waste him: "If you had been at Honduras (or some other central american country, I don't remember exactly) with me, I would still have my arm". Seeing how Phil blew up his arm while drinking boomshine and playing with explosives in GTA Vice City, Fido would know that he is bullshitting him. But he doesn't give any sign of that.
    Also tommy was 30-40 something in Vice City which was set in the 80s and Fido looks as if he is in his 20s.

14. Chunky944

Chunky944 New Member

One thing that makes me like GTA2 better that GTA3 & VC is that worse graphics dissallows graphic violence, which VC has in abundance.

15. Sea Dog

Sea Dog New Member

Are you kidding or are you just a pussy?
    Graphic voilence in an un-real context has infinite enjoyment. In GTA3 I used to sit on roof tops popping peoples heads off and watching the blood pump out

16. Settler

Settler Member

He's right - so, SO right...I'm really squeamish in real life, I find a lot of things 'sick' and disturbing...but let me loose in Hitman 2, and I'll redecorate with a nice coat of blood red :) . Sweet, sweet escapism...

I believe Sea Dog also knows the delight of Soldier of Fortune 2: we were playing at a friend of ours, and SD was happily occupied for a good five minutes crouching over corpses, slashing their wrists...

17. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Exactly.

Let's see... Bye head *BOOM!*. One leg less... *BOOM!*. Another leg away *BOOM!*. Farewell, wrist *BOOM!*. See you, arm *BOOM!*. And decorate the rest with a knife.

18. Nervestaple

Nervestaple New Member

There's some info on that one (and the rest of the songs offcourse) at sprayshops lyrics page if you're interested. And you know, that song is so good, I reckon you'll play it again.

http://sprayshop.gouranga.com/lyrics/lyrics8.htm

19. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

20. DEATH AT THE DOOR

Our Host!