Bought TA off GoG, played start to finish, then installed WIP...uninstalled it five minutes later.

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Aestu, Jul 23, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Aestu

Aestu New Member

I saw the character history of the "Female Warrior" disadvantaged by "discovering her unpopular opinions." "Unpopular"? Hmm...

Then I went to the SH City Hall and clicked through the long, overwrought, one-sided dialogue by the "austere, no-nonsense, genuine smiling" Miss Wonderful Librarian (who sits on the U of T Lexicon Board and quotes her Tarent University Dictionary's prescriptive definition of "what Feminism is").

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the NPC's insipid, MarySue dialogue had no line breaks. I mean, back in 2001, by only hiring programmers and fantasy gamers, Troika created a lousy, eye-rolling, off-putting fantasy game. Arcanum Vanilla might not have sucked if more professional Feminists and SJWs who lack programming or copywriting skills had the opportunity to introduce their content. Clearly.

I'm curious, is the Feminist who made these really lame contributions the same one who posted that GameFAQ about Technologist skills that consists entirely of transcribing the text from the game and runs parallel to another GameFAQ that includes not only the technologist information from the game but useful tips?

Since the former makes weird Femglish phrasing choices (e.g., "concern" in place of "confuse", claiming her boyfriend "lets me use his computer", "flames and insults will be deleted on arrival" [How ruthless! I'm shaking in my flip-flops]), I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same individual. Again - I am actually genuinely curious. The same hackjob or just another of the species?

But yeah, tbqh, I was looking for a good, immersive fantasy experience, not intrusions of real-life extremist political ideology. It's a shame because the patch looked substantively good, but I'm not interested in stomaching a SJW patch any more than I'm interested in playing Gaza Defender.

To be clear, I'm just offering my honest feedback on the game content. I might have liked playing it, but political advertising is a turnoff regardless of affiliation. That's my $0.02.

EDIT: My default avatar is my gender? Roflmao. Why not my race, religion, nationality or sexual orientation? Imo next update should make my default avatar a Star of David!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. Aestu

Aestu New Member

Why does an incoherent opinion bother you so much? Or is that not the issue?

3. Aestu

Aestu New Member

I think you may have missed that I was being sarcastic.

What you say is exactly the point: vanilla Arcanum was (mostly) apolitical and not the worse for it, and what could have been a good mod was marred by gross intrusions of real-world radical ideology by non-devs who should never have been on the team in the first place.

4. Aestu

Aestu New Member

What's your definition of a "common person"? Or an "uncommon person", for that matter?

If you are taking an arbitrary group of people and insisting that they are "common", aren't you effectively trying to impose your normative standards on the rest of the seven billion people on the planet?

Knowing is as knowing does. If you know that person X does Y, then you know at least that much about the person. If you know the person aggressively proselytizes a radical political ideology within a fantasy game, and also lacks the technical skills to dev the content they create competently, you know at least those two things about the person.

My avatar is sufficient to prove this is not the case. Group identity and pressure to conform often define individuals much more than their own individuality - particularly those who are attracted to rigid ideologies of whatever persuasion, be they political, religious, radical, reactionary, etc.

Not at all. Some people care enough about others and the world at large to try to effect change. Our world has changed from what it was in the past, and will continue to change to be something different in the future. If you are so jaded that you believe that change is undesirable and/or impossible, I can only pity you.

The anonymity of the Internet is actually a much better gauge of a person's true character than what they say when under pressure from society and peers.

It sounds to me like you are a very cynical individual who feels threatened by others' opinions and is confused about the relationship between the individual and society.

Cynicism and a confused personal identity are often what draw people to radical ideologies of whatever persuasion. From your disingenuous remarks it is clear that you are a confused person who identifies with the fembot who wrote the lousy political material. I can only hope one day you find the insight to resolve your confusion.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
Our Host!