botched quests and dead NPC's

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by soviet, Apr 4, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. soviet

soviet New Member

on previous playthrough, I've botched the "missing wizard" quest in Stillwater, because the wizard "encountered" the infamous ogre in the cave while I was looting the baubles. I've actually resurrected the wizard after dispatching the ogre, and the wizard left the cave alive and unharmed, nonetheless botching the quest.
    I assume that there are more quests that will be botched once a NPC dies (the elven hunter in the Bedokaan village, the female halfling in the firearms mastery quest, Lady Whatshername in the melee/dodge mastery quest). so here is a question for the knowledgeable veterans and maybe the modders:
    is it possible, within reasonable efforts, to modify quests / quest scripts so that quests will be botched only if the player reports the death of the involved NPC to the quest-giver?
    seeing that corpses last some time, fetching a resurrect scroll from the nearest seller should be a viable quest solution.
    there could be an item, maybe a techno and magick item pair that would work like the "dead water" from fairy tales - turning a skeleton into a corpse which then can be resurrected. (magick item is obviously dragon blood, tech item would be a large barrel of organic compounds)

as there are NPC's with "no resurrect" flag here and there, setting some quest NPC's with said flag (let's say the ogre kills and devours the wizard on the spot) would also solve the problem, tho against the player.

edit: I'm going to try modding the quest someday ;)

Our Host!