BMC Ore Golems

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by vesselle, May 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. vesselle

vesselle New Member

3 person team (myself, virgil and magnus)
    level 14
    on the first floor, we are slaughtered by the first ore golem we meet. :( i've never had this problem in previous playthrus. we use hammers, bows, bare-knuckle fighting... and we all die.

i've NEVER had this problem before on any playthru. did i just wait too long to come here?

thanks for all advice. other than "start over", that is. :p

2. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

3. vesselle

vesselle New Member

okay. i guess i'll go do other things for awhile.
    thanks for the advice, spiffy :)

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The BMC; possibly one of the worst examples of game design ever.

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I don't think so, and I don't see the big problem everybody seems to have with those mines. Ore golems are tough, yes, but if you're not tough enough yourself then the only thing you have to do is keep your distance. Personally, I've never had any problems with the BMC mines, even at level 12.

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    I've never liked the BMC mines, and that goes for the other dwarven dungeons as well; one of the reasons I always make persuasive characters is to skip the Dredge, seriousy. They're simply too long, too boring, containing nothing interesting at all except endless tunnels full of monsters, and in the case of the BMC mines, players usually arrive there too early to even survive in there. Just saying.

7. Wolfsbane

Noted, but I still disagree. That might very well have something to do with the fact that I really like hack-n-slash, but that's just me speculating.

8. CaptainTomosa

CaptainTomosa New Member

I always had assumed the Beelzebub's semen stain that is the Ore Golem was intentional. Kind of like the developer's putting up a road block and saying
    'If you can't clean the stains out of your sheets by now then you'll just have to go and find a girlfriend.'
    In other words I've always thought you had to reach a certain level so you didn't struggle from tat point onwards.

I believe I was level 17 when I did it first time through with Virgil, Magnus, Sogg and Garr (I believe, was awhile ago)

9. vesselle

vesselle New Member

ewww. boys are gross.

10. Wolfsbane

Some boys are gross, yess. Especially him.

11. CaptainTomosa

CaptainTomosa New Member

Ahem that was just an imaginary illusion created with wordsmithery to make a point. I get my mum to do it :thumbup:

12. Wolfsbane

You didn't get the gross part, did you?

13. TinyMage

TinyMage New Member

I usually tackle the BMC mines at level 10 or less, and I always play on HARD mode.

First thing is, why do you use hammers, bows and bareknuckle fighting?? Everyone should be using balanced swords. That is probably you're first issue.

Second you should pick up Dog, hes great against the golems.

Get a bunch of stamina potions and use them on virgil so he can keep healing without having to climb back to the surface to rest.

If you can make healing salves and fatigue restorers do so, its way cheaper.

Make sure Magnus is getting the stat bonuses from his mysterious dwarven gauntlets. If his strength / con / dex are not in green take his gauntlets then give them back, this should kick in the stat bonuses ( you should always do this when you first get him ).

If you got the cash go to the dark magic shop ( the one open at night ) and buy a scroll of familiar. Cast it and it should summon a level 15 ( or higher ) flying creature that is not a bad fighter.

Also you can buy potions of haste which practically double the usefullness of Dog.

Golems seem to like to chase your main hero, if you run around they will keep chasing you while your party members beat them up.

Turn based combat can allow your party to beat up the golem before he gets a move.

If your good aligned you might as well pick up Dante, he becomes a free follower after you dismiss him once ( a bug I assume ). Hes an awesome healer / fighter.

There are tons of cheasy tips I can give you to get make your party powerfull way early if you want me to list them just ask.

14. vesselle

vesselle New Member

at the time i asked the question, i was very low level and in penurious circumstances. i simply could not afford anything else.

again... empty pockets.

i have yet to come across Dog. i'm sure i will soon, but, again, we've not met up yet.

thank you very much for the offer, but i prefer to face adversity and work it out with what's currently available to me.

ps: we made it out alive and intact, more or less. am now seeking employment so that we might attempt a sea voyage.

:D

V***V

15. team a

team a New Member

Golems can be tough, but that's why it's usually good to have some kind of ranged weapon. You can also get close enough to have the golem chase you, then have your followers attack, while you stand still. The golem will advance, while you stay still, and your followers beat on it. it will usually continue to chase you as long as you're only about 2 squares away. This is pretty cheap, though, I admit, and you can't just keep doing this, as it only works. I only do it for the 1 or 2 golems in your path; I don't take on the ones off on side routes if I can't take them on fair and square.

How about the fact that the dredge has one of the game's best found schematics?

Personally, I have always liked the dwarven dungeons more than most of the others. True, they're long and can be disorienting on your first run through, but they're also the toughest, which is good in a game that can be hard to find challenges in after you've played it though a few times (read: more times than anyone could justifiably play though a game)

I suggest you pick him up ASAP, as the longer you wait, the further below your level he will be. Also note that traveling near him in Ashbury could lead him to die before you can have him join.

He can be found here:

go to Ashbury's east side, just north of the docks.Look just to the southeast of the inn and the situation in which he can be found will present itself.

16. TinyMage

TinyMage New Member

You don't need more then a few gold actually. You can find a bunch of steel and ore at the very first part of the game. Check the crash site + cave and then Besse Toone's mine. Then you can buy the fine hilt's from a blacksmith for 3 gold a piece. Magnus can combine the ingredients.

Easy.

Noone that has Magnus should be without plenty of balanced swords.

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

If you're trying to buy a boat to go to Thanatos, I'd recommend robbing magic shops. I currently've around 90k worth of magical trinkets just sitting around because I go to the 3 part mage shop in Tarant, and clean everything out. Literally. And then sell it, and then usually rob my gold back from the store that bought it. :p Also, the Thieve's Guild will give you a much better (usually 10-15% better, if not more) price for everything they'll buy, and they buy most all magical items. If you can get the junk-yard fellow in Tarant to love you, you can sell stuff to him for about the same amount you'd make of the thieves guild fellows.

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    ... except when you're an evil mage yourself and feel like turning Magnus into a demonic arcane beast using the Dark Helm. :)

19. vesselle

vesselle New Member

i need more information than that.
    how does one get magnus to actually make the swords? how much ore does he need? i require step by step instructions, please.

thank you for your help.

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    He needs one piece of Pure Ore and one Fine Hilt and Guard for every sword he makes. Then you simply ask him to make something for you, whereupon you'll enter the tech crafting screen.

Our Host!