"Behold: a new Railroad Spike appeared" STOP IT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoon, Sep 29, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Calis

Calis Member

As far as I'm concerned, the Khat is still on probation and should watch his step somewhat. In fact, Khat, I would not use the words "king of flaming" again even with the addition "but I retired that crown".

My responsibility in this cannot be denied. I'm generally not very involved with this forum so I am also not the kind of guy to watch for this thing. I could've given out a spam warning of some kind earlier, but I didn't. I don't believe in dishing out avatars after the fact. I said very little throughout, so it'd be a bit hypocritical of me to do so now. Though it would remind the people involved of this discussion, it wouldn't help at all in the future. If we want to keep this board spam-free, we need to start acting the part. And I, for one, can't be here regularly enough to do that. So that would mean: an extra moderator on the team, under the direct command of Jinxed. As you all know, Jinxed is the main moderator on the House of Lords (even though I am the self-proclaimed overlord of the terra-arcanum.com domain). That's why he came on board in the first place: because it was a job I didn't want anymore and didn't think I was very good at to begin with. Because his involvement here is (was) a fair bit bigger than mine I generally leave stuff to him. What I'm gonna do is this: I'm gonna discuss the issue in private with Jinxed. After that we'll decide what to do.

The way I see it we have these options:
    1. Do nothing. Let stuff slide, have a relatively spam-free board for a while and get another explosion after it builds up. We've generally done it like that in the past, and the result was a somewhat spammy board with a riot every so often.
    2. A change in policy, with more work for Jinxed.
    3. Rigorous anti-spam measures, like 2, but with a second active moderator. Candidates for this position would then be selected by Jinxed and me. Pushing yourself, or anyone else, forward, won't help a bit. (I'm talking to you here, DU. :D ). Of course you should also feel free to reject the job if we pick you in our infinite wisdom, because frankly, it's not all it's cracked up to be. :D

I should also add that both 2) and 3) might lead to Saint Proverbius coming over to me and telling me "I told you so!", especially after Dragoon's V13 example. But that's a risk I'm willing to take. :)

2. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Calis, I tentatively agree with maybe having a sort of "Spam Moderator". It would need to be somebody who would be fair about the whole "spam" thing, simply cause spam exists on so many levels, and what irritates a few, might be overlooked by the majority.

I trust you and Jinxed to appoint somebody who would be fair in deciding what is spam and what is not.

But anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

3. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

I agree. Having run several boards in the past, I know that the work can mount up quickly. Jinxed alone cannot be expected to adequately "police the spam" - I think he's done an admirable job with this board in the time I've been here, but he must surely be pulling his hair out by the roots at times (or at least, driving stakes through some guy in his sig!).

A second "spam moderator" would be a boon to this place...

4. Mael

Mael New Member

another mod would be good but who would be it?
    most of us had spammed at least once....

btw answering a spam... is it considered as a spamming?

and how about making rules regarding spamming
    the do's and dont's
    so that we can all know what types of spam (if theres any)
    and the penalties for it

5. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

You're right. All of us have spammed at least once. Even Jinxed, in his young days. Me too. Everyone has except Calis, I think. :)

About how do you decide what is and what isn't, I think you are right. It's not a simple task.

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Calis has done his share of spam at the inn. :D

I spammed a lot with al and loo before any of you here posted regularly.

But I myself got tired of it and decided that it was time to makeover The House Of Lords.
    That's why I put myself up for a moderator.

Heh, I'll weed out the spam myself for a bit.

Maybe you haven't noticed but there has been some grave diggin recently. I took care of that and I will do the same in the future.

I'm not sure yet if I need help. And I have yet to talk to Calis.

7. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Jinxed
    Total posts: 2697

Yeah, that's obvious. :p

8. xento

xento New Member

If you loved to spam so much, then why do you slam your fist down on it like you do?

9. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Au contraire, I believe that Jarinor and I were here back then. Perhaps Milo, as well.

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

He never said that. He said that he did spam. I'd also hardly say that he's slammed his fist down so far. He might have shaken it, but he hasn't slammed it.

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I don't remember you guys being actve then. Not till around my 1000th post

12. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

Ferret, superb pic! Congrats! Reminds me of rosenshyne somehow.Dragoon too. I can barely make out anything on DU's customava, but oh well, I bet it's nice.

13. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

Does anyone else find it depressing that it could be necessary to add an extra mod to control spam. I mean I've found from the legitimate posts/threads that the intelligence level of the average board member to be somewhat above norm so why would we not be able to moderate ourselves as concerns spam.

Obviously you would occasionally get someone coming here just to cause trouble and if that were the only problem Jinxed would be able to handle it with no sweat. As for those of us (most of the people I see here I would imagine) who are here because they enjoy the interaction companionship and exchange of ideas well were all smart enough to know better and even if we do overstep without realizing it someone will point it out and we could then say oops no blood no foul right? It would make a happier experience and the Moderators could concentrate on those who simply want to cause trouble.

Just my thoughts.

14. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I'm not sure if I interpret your statement correctly but if you think my current av is a custom one - it's not. You get it at 1300 posts.

15. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Uh.. Dragoon? What IS your avatar? :ponder:

16. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

I'm glad you asked that Ferret. I've been wondering the same thing, but was afraid to ask.

17. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Err, it's Safeguard of the Wild or "a home made set of armor" if you prefer. Something wrong with it?

18. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

19. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Here we go all over again. :sigh:

20. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Hey, wdygfy, why don't you go fuck yourself? (Sorry I'm two pages too late but I've been wanting to say that for so long... :D )

Oh, congrats on becoming safeguards of the wild Dragoon and Etalis! That's one of the really good avatars too! (Nothing beats the hammer though).

Oh back on topic, either: DRAGOON FOR MODERATOR! DRAGOON FOR MODERATOR!! (Sorry Calis)

or

Terra-Arcanum: Time for the Vault13 Admin Treatment (Well, Saint is an Admin over here...)

Our Host!