"Behold: a new Railroad Spike appeared" STOP IT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoon, Sep 29, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

c'mon guys it's a no brainer. You made a post with the best of intentions to make someone feel good. Ok great and perhaps you have no way of knowing that to the general board population this is annoying. Fine. Then alot of similar posts start to appear and finally someone says enough. One was a little annoying but tolerable but now its just not tolerable any more. If it's me I say hey thanks man, I really wasn't trying to be an asshole and I don't want to appear to be one. I didn't think that the thread I created would bother anyone or I wouldn't have created it, and I won't make similar ones in the future. When you start an argument about it you're basically saying "Hey I got every right to be annoying" which leads to the appearance that you intended to be annoying in the first place. I mean don't be so thin skinned it doesn't make you a bad person to do something with good intentions that turns out bad. Criticism is a good thing if you're mature enough to handle it and use it to make future offerings more appropriate.

Certainly if I create a topic and it's out of line I would appreciate very much somebody having the courtesy to point it out so I won't end up looking like an ass over and over again

2. Ct0fDiscord

Ct0fDiscord New Member

I'm just waiting for the day when some new member will create a new topic and say "I have a long dagger!" or "I have a crappy mace!" (not the cool one you get right before 100 posts). That day will be a sad day.

I've had the bow for a long time now, and I have just enough of a life to not go "YES! OH YEA! I'M A HAMMER! TAKE THAT YOU SONSOFBITCHES!!!! BOOYA!"

Yes... just enough.

3. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Another idea of mine is too lock those 4 word stories. I can understand one. Ok two are acceptable but we have 4 or 5 right now each of them popping up every so often and clouding other threads is annoying.

Still I must admit that this day seemed a little bit more peaceful than what's been happening since last Tuesday/Wednesday.

4. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I don't think we should go borrowing trouble, as the saying goes. There are only two of those stories at the moment and they are easy to ignore. A lot of people seem to like them, so locking them wouldn't really achieve much. If they ever proliferate, maybe we could reconsider.

The spam is dying down a bit now, so I'm going to try to get on with things as before. Jinxed is doing a good job, if you ask me. Both he and Calis have always restrained themselves from stepping in until it's really required, and it seems to have worked for us.

Has Jinxed been a mod for a year, yet?

5. xento

xento New Member

If Jinxed hasn't been a mod for the entire life span of the House of Lords, who was mod before him, how long has Calis been around, and who is the "REAL" administrator?

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Dragoon, sorry for posting that little quip of mine - I was just pulling your leg, and I didn't mean anything by it. I really didn't intend to put more wood on an already dangerous fire.

As for me not being around much, I tend to spend most of my time at the Temple of Aozos seeing as I'm a mod there, and one of the 'elders', as it were.

However, I still pop in now and again, but currently, most of the threads are either just repeats of old threads made by newer members, or mindless spam and/or flaming sessions and I don't find that sort of thing worth my time to post in.

OK. I've been posting a bit in the 4-word stories, but even those are just degrading into spam and flaming threads.

7. xento

xento New Member

Yes, there are more people at the House of Lords then ever, but they need something new to talk about. We are getting more and more senceless stuff said around here (myself included) because we want a high rank, but there is nothing big of common intrest (such as a new game forum or two).

8. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

That is a very good point. Feast or famine, it would seem that most would rather famine :(

9. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

That music thread was fun, and stayed on topic a lot; why doesn't someone dig that one back up?

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Because I would get ANGRY!!!

Nah, I liked that thread. I wouldn't get angry, providing no one dug it up in a week or two. Then I would be :).

Now that the kind of desperation I like to hear about :D.

Do you want to do us all a favour and try and hammer that point home to Khat? I don't think he understands the difference between constructive criticism and criticism (okay, okay, insults...).

11. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Sheriff as for the spam dying a bit I also thought so but when I checked post counts today it seems that both Eatalis and Khat had 30-40 interesting posts to write since yesterday (that's the number for each of them). I have to admit that when I looked at few of their answers they weren't totally senseless spamming/flaming like before but I checked only a few.

Still I'm not all that much for spammers getting away with mere hand (or rather word in this case) slapping. After all I could just start a topic, post less then 50 useless spam one after another in order to get Safeguard of the Wild avatar, stop spamming and post like nothing has happened. Now that wouldn't really be fair compared to other users imo.

I therefore think that (not permanently) as a kind of "punishment" both Etalis and Khat should get SpamCans. Time period depends on their behaviour afterwards (I doubt it would be necessary to keep that up for more than a month at most). We must not forget that the same happned to Ioo and Quethim (btw imo his spamcan avatar "punishment" should be lifted - can't really say he spammed [or even posted for that matter] a lot after he reappeared).

Such is my stance in this matter.

Calis is the real administrator and the only owner of T-A I know of. Jinxed has been a mod for a very long time now and he's the only person to have ever really moderated T-A that I know of. Calis has always been very tolerant (that's how Al got away with his SPAM). There's also Oyarsa in RPG forum.

I don't mind you posted it here. Really I don't, those were sincere congrats.

Even in ancient Rome people knew that it's better to sacrifice freedom to tyranny for a period of time to fight the enemy onslaught. But then they didn't know you. [​IMG]

12. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

The 'REAL' Admin is .. *drumroll* ... Calis ! :roll:

13. Sheriff Fatman

Yes, I noticed it last night as well. It was hard to find any other the threads with any decent content in. It's getting silly.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Rest assured - as I write another page is loading up that will allow me to start a new topic. It shall feature BOOKS as it subject, as it will be a thread on book reviews and whatnot. So there'll be at least one more thread worth visiting.

15. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Just be sure to apply anti-spam/derailing/flaming protection.

Since books were already mentioned (and I don't want to derail Jar's thread the moment it appears) how about your "books among other things" Sheriff? In which phase of creation is it?

16. xento

xento New Member

Did anyone consider movies/pcgames/videogames?

17. Sheriff Fatman

Do you mean my BorrowedWorlds website? If so, it is still in the "trying to persuade myself and my wife to develop websites in our private life as well as professionally" stage. I hope it'll move on, but it requires a run up.

I'll contribute to Jar's thread later, when I can give it the time it deserves.

18. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Dragoon, I think it's safe to say the Age of Spam has concluded. We're now in the age of Whining Incessantly About Spam, apparently, which is fine by me; but the phrase "I don't think more than a month or so would be necessary" galls me.
    Perhaps this is because I don't think it's necessary at all; for one thing, Khat hasn't done very much spam at all, it's been mostly flaming between him and Jarinor. And I stopped as soon as I realized I was doing it. If anything, you should give him a flame avatar and me a big Idiot one.
    But I digress. Can we, perhaps, maybe, please, stop whining now? Every point has been stated and restated, all the stances have been made known; further discussion won't get us anywhere (as Slagger said, "The 'REAL' Admin is... *drumroll* ...Calis !"), but it will serve as an avenue for further flaming and, much more annoying than flaming, whining.

19. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

Amen to that.....
    And I think I have a right to post in agreement with whom
    wish even if it takes up less then a line :p (hmmm a flame av that sounds Nicety :cool:_ )

20. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I wouldn't call it whining actually. And I still stand on the ground you guys shouldn't get away so easily. After all you did spam a lot and now you say it's ok because you said it's over. It's absolutely unfair compared to other users. Most users want a better avatar but only very few spam to get it. After all I could just spam the forum to get Safeguard of the wild avatar. And what I got bored with it after 50 posts? Perhaps I should spam another 150? Then I would say it's ok, spam era ended and in no way do I deserve a spam can. Another reason is that it should become apparent for everyone that if they spam nothing good will come out of this for them. You would be surprised how quickly Ioo (and many others) got banned at V13. And when they logged on under different nick they spammed no more.

Our Host!