Authors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Menion Ravenlock, Nov 13, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Drugar

Drugar New Member

Well, soem of my personal favorites...

Dark Elf Series, RA Salvatore
    Nifty characters, got a lot of fans, and a lot of people who hate him. I love the lad, and anyone who enjoys some powergaming will like it too.

Death gate Cycle, Weiss and Hickman
    Long, but most certainly interesting. The first and last books are the coolest, IMHO.

The books of Vampire: The masquerade.
    For anothter view on the real world, and to discover that everything that happens, is actually a huge plan developed by the various clans.

Riftwar Sage, Raymond E Feist.
    Too bad Milamber (No, I won't call him Pug) and Tomas get less important as the books progress....but truly nifty books nonetheless.

My First Words.
    A damned classic that.

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I finished The Pillars of Creation (7th book in Sword of Truth) recently. More of a filler novel in the series. Oh, it's still a good book, but I felt that Richard could have been more involved instead of just being in the last 50 odd pages. Seeing as this book is nearly 600 pages, that's a pretty small share for the main character.

This series seems to continually add secondary characters, and not finish off their stories later. Quite a few get killed off. Although, I must admit, I did like the parts concentrating on Oba in the book. Something about delusional psychopaths gets me laughing.

3. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

My favourite author is Dr Suess (not to be confused with Dr Seuss). I'll quote you from one of my favourite books of his:

There's a waynus up my anus,
    and it's really rather famous!

There's a festicle on my testicle,
    and it's really quite a spectacle!

There's a jeenis on my penis,
    and it's absolutely heinous!

He writes all sorts of funny childish rhymes like that. Good for the kids as it teaches them to learn words.

4. Menion Ravenlock

Menion Ravenlock New Member

hahah ever here of this DU? Theirs a skeeter on my peeter? :grin:

5. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

*DU compliments himself on another thread killed*

EDIT: Damn. Too early.

6. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I just bought that book today. From the sound of it, it's going to share a lot in common with the previous book ("Faith of the Fallen").
    I hate it when good series deteriorate into How Long Can It Last contests.

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I actually enjoyed Faith of the Fallen. I thought it was a great book. Some of his plot decisions had better have a good reason for being that way other than "I couldn't think what to do with the character next so I killed him/her or made them disappear" ala Warren (sorry if I spoiled it for some people), because that really pissed me off.

Etalis, don't worry, when Richard finally shows up, he does really cool shit...or maybe it was just the relief of finally seeing him show up. Anyway, it's a good book, but the next one should be much better.

8. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

So, would you recommend the Sword of Truth books for me to read? It is one of a number of major series that I feel I should read if I ever get Borrowed Worlds off the ground (since its focused on major fictional worlds), but that I've never actually picked up out of genuine interest. Wheel of Time is another one of those.

9. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

I thought you got it from Tintin's dog :D

Anyway, I am a total Tolkien freak... I am a member on the Mordor, The Land of Shadow forums, I have read LotR, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales and Silmarillion in swedish, and I am soon finished with it in english too...

It's a part of my life, really :)

Anyway, I also like Terry Pratchet, I've read about 16 of his books...

10. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I have ordered catch22 to my local library so i guess i will have it tomorrow. A repport will be here shortly

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, it's actually a pretty good series. I wouldn't start it so I could understand the seventh book, and the fifth book is a little unsatisfying with Richard's reaction to certain events, but overall it's a really good series. Second book is probably my favourite, but that's just because I've read it so many times :).

12. Sereina

Sereina New Member

I always read fantasy.... and a little real stuff.
    I cannot stand Peirs Anthony, the man should be castrated and lynched with his own wind pipe.
    Terry Pratchett is one of my all time favorite authors (except when he writes about Vimes, those books scream TESTOSTERONE) and Gregory Maguire, as well as Ursula K. LeGuin, Tamora Pierce, Feist, Eddings is cool even though you know how his books are going to end, and Charles de Lint.

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I've only read one Vimes book, the one with the Golems and free will and all that. Forgot what it was called. Would have borrowed The Fifth Elephant from the library but I was pretty sure I'd miss out on the Vimes story...

Feist is good, but he's becoming more action-oriented than character oriented with each book. No one sticks around long enough anymore to have any interesting backstories. Eddings is predictable, but he has some good lines and scenes.

14. Sheriff Fatman

Jar, the one you read is called "Feet of Clay".

You must have read a different Feist to me. His characters seem to hang around for ever. Take Tomas and Pug (I refuse to call him, Milamber ;) ). They've been 2 full series plus some other titles.

15. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Jar you nedd to get your hands on "guards guards" and the second vimes book, The rerd elephant is not so good as the first ones, ALL the rincewind books are great though.
    I have been been reading catch 22 for about ten hours straight and now that i em finnished i must recomned it to anyone that needs a good read. Not as dark as "all silent on the western front" but still good. I think i laughed from one end to another specially when i read about why Dunbar loved it at the shooting green. The only problem was that it was so complicated when Milo was explaining how he earned money on his eggs (how did he do that?).
    SO how is the syndicate going milo?

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Okay, on my To Get list:

Rincewind books (list of titles? I know The Colour of Magic is the first one)
    Catch-22

That's it :D.

Fatman, okay, so Pug and Tomas hang around forever (apparently anyway, I've only read Riftwar Saga, and the Krondor series - Betrayal, Assassins, Tear of the Gods - and the first book in the new series Conclave of Shadows, Talon of the Silver Hawk) but most of the others are killed off pretty soon. Then again, I suppose a lot of authors do that, however I felt that Pug and Tomas become secondary characters after Magician. Not many authors kill off the main characters and keep secondary ones.

17. Sheriff Fatman

I'm not sure how you'll feel about "The Last Continent". It's a great Rincewind book, but ... well ... Aussies come out of it looking a bit ... um ... strange.

About Feist - don't over look Jimmy and Locklear. They go on forever, as does Martin. The twin princes get backgrounded pretty quick, but not actually killed off. Arutha hangs around to a ripe old age, so does Nicky.

Serpentwar introduced some new characters that turn up in the Krondor series, too. Rupert is a big one of those, but there are others, too. Let's not overlook our good friend, Calis, either ;)

All in all, Feist has a large body of characters he's spent long time developing. Fortunately, he isn't too afraid of killing people off. There are several fatalities along the way, but he's got so many to start with, that still leaves a lot of survivers. I think killing people off is to his credit. Knowing characters are expendable adds an edge to the plot. James Barclay does a similar thing, only more so, in his "Chronicles of the Raven", which is series I'm pretty sure you would like, Jar.

18. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Okay starting with book book number one
    1: The color of magic
    2: The light fantastic
    3: Sourcery
    4: Eric
    5: Interesting times
    6:The last continent
    Men at arms are the (in my humble opinion) The best of the vimes books, allmost died reading it.
    Some other great books, hogfather ,soul music and Lords and ladies. You should read all books that has a lot of riddiuly in them.

19. Sheriff Fatman

Reading Hogfather at Christmas is great. Kind of like reading A Christmas Carol at Christmas, but with fewer poverty-stricken youths and more teeth.

20. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I never cared for Vimes, personally. I think the best ones from that series are the ones where he goes somewhere else; he's not a terribly interesting character, but books like "Jingo" and "The Fifth Elephant" are full of humor that really has more to do with the region he's visiting.
    :grin:

Our Host!