Authors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Menion Ravenlock, Nov 13, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Yes, I've read the Chronicles, Tales and Chaos War books. I read the first in the War of Souls, but have had trouble finding somewhere to buy the second.

2. Menion Ravenlock

Menion Ravenlock New Member

Yeah. Hey have you ever went to the Terry Brooks forum? Thats a okay forum thats were I came from to here. Yeah but I need some new books to read so thats why I started Dragonlance.

3. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

A Terry Brooks FORUM? Why would anyone want to spend a lot of time talking about Terry Brooks?

4. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

My sentiments exactly. I mean, Shannara was good, but it wasn't THAT good, and nothing since has been more than mediocre.

5. Clothos_Vermillion

Clothos_Vermillion New Member

I love Terry Pratchett, and recommend him to anyone who likes satire or fantasy.

I also strongly recommend Harry Turtledove, master of alternate history, Timothy Zahn, the best Star-Wars Universe author, Peter Benchley, for Jaws-type goodness, and Tom Clancy for all kinds of cool war books.

My favorite author by far though is Stephen King. His horror is awesome, but even better are his fantasy books.

The Dark Tower Series is an epic, four books so far of seven, and is alluded to in most of his other books. His writing and characters are supurb, and the story is an interesting one, of a world, kinda-post-apocalyptic, kinda fantastic, where the evil Crimson King must be stopped from destroying the "beams" which hold the universe together. Only a few people can stop him, and these are led by Roland, the last gunslinger, a kinda cowboy and defender of the law in this semi-mystical land.

The land itself is a kinda-mirror image of Earth, with many interesting carry overs from the real world. "Hey Jude" is played in the bars, and transfers between the many alternate dimensions and worlds occur frequently.

This is damned tough to explain and make it sound good, but Stephen King's writing is amazing, and this story has me addicted.

If you want to start, read The Gunslinger, the first in the series, or read The Talisman, a book involving this world, co-written by Stephen King and Peter Straub, or read The Eyes of the Dragon, his first fantasy novel, again located in his mystical world.

6. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I started reading "trough the darkness" by turtledowe. I looked forward to it since i had read a lot about second world war specially the sven hazel books. I fell asleep after about 50 pages and i have actually read hamsun and ibsen. Now it might be that i'm a pshycophat but that was the most boring book i have ever read little humor and very little blitzkrieg. It is a taste thing though, i can't imagine the sheriff reading the sven hazel books. I recomned that evryone here read "nothing new from the western front" ecpecially if you think war is cool.

7. Windmills

Windmills New Member

Do you mean "All Quiet on the Western Front" by Erich Remarque?

Or is "Nothing New..." what the Norwegian translation is called?

Over here it's "All Quiet." Decent book, but not because I think war is cool, quite the opposite, actually. Read "All Quiet" in high school. Catch 22's better as far as "war books" (or anti-war books) are concerned. ;-) I know, I know, apples and oranges.

8. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I have not read catch 22 what is the authors name?
    All quiet on the western front is probably what it is called in English. Thanks.
    Also who here has read the preacher comics.

9. Menion Ravenlock

The Terry Brooks forum was also for like pier anthony also. Plus it had its own things kinda like this forum. We just don't talk about Arcanum.

10. Milo

Milo New Member

Joseph Heller

Catch 22 is an all-time classic. I love the book so much, I got my username from one of the characters.

On the subject of great anti-war books, check out Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. This is maybe the most powerful book on the subject that I've ever read. And if there are any more gut-wrenching than this one, I'm not sure if I can handle reading it. The story consists of the fevered memories and delusions of a young all American soldier as he rots away in a hospital. His arms, legs, and face have all been blown off in the war, leaving him a living mound of flesh unable to move or communicate. Really really horrifying, but an excellent read.

Another one for you guys to check out if you haven't all ready is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. You may have seen the movie, but trust me, the book is a lot better. The narrative is what makes the difference in my mind. It's told from the perspective of Chief Broom Bromden a seemingly deaf, mute old Indian in a mental institution. Since he hasn't spoken or acknowledged being spoken to in many years, the narrative in the beginning is very ackward and stilted. As he gradually opens himself back up to the world, the narrative becomes clearer and more correct. It's not a huge part of the story that this takes place, but it's a nice touch on top of an awesome story.

11. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

Darn! I thought you liked this as much as I do.

[​IMG]

12. Menion Ravenlock

13. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Is that a pic of Milo on the tin? Wow - he's a lot more sporty than I'd imagined!

14. Milo

Milo New Member

That's not me, man. I'd never play Cricket or Soccer.

I had no idea what that stuff was. We don't have Nestle Milo here in the US, so I Googled for it and Took the Nestle Tour. I'm still not clear on what Milo is. From what I can gather at the site, it's a "delicious, crunchy, chocolatey granule." Huh?

Is this some kind of chocolate malted milk with crunchy bits floating around in it? Since the product comes from Nestle, I'm imagining a melted Nestle Crunch bar mixed into a glass of milk along with something else to cause it to be labled as an "energy drink".

Sounds like weird stuff to me.

15. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

So, Milo... you are now this forum's official delicious, crunchy, chocolatey poster. Revel in your new-found title!

16. Milo

Milo New Member

Like, totally granular, duders.

17. xento

xento New Member

:lol: Hmmm... I wonder what that Nestle Milo stuff is? I thought Nestle was an American company.

18. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

It's based in Switzerland, actually. You think every food conglomorate has to be from the US? They own Maggi, Nescafe, Purina and a whole lot of other stuff

Miloâ„¢ cornered the chocolate milk market in Malaysia before Malaysians even knew what chocolate milk was. It came waaay before Nestle Crunch. (Actually, they're selling Miloâ„¢ chocolate bars too now). Every true-blue Malaysian knows their catchphrase: Minum Miloâ„¢ anda jadi sihat dan kuat! (Drink Miloâ„¢ you become healthy and strong - actually there's a grammatical mistake in the Malay here... but oh heck)

19. xento

xento New Member

No, I have never heard of those companies. I am not much for geography, so I have no idea where stuff is made. Sorry if I offended you.
    :p Healthy stuff usually isn't that great for taste. Ever had one? What are the ingrediants/nutrition facts?

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Ahh, milo, a beloved drink most anywhere in Australia. I'm going to assume that since the can features Australian cricketers (check out the ACB logo) it originated in Australia - it's been around here for decades. My mum used to drink it when she was a kid.

Anyway, milo is great stuff. Just get milk, add a few heaped spoonfuls, stir and enjoy. Some of it dissolves into the milk, and the rest kind of floats to the top so you can eat it. It's actually delicious, and the only type of chocolate milk that I like.

nbrosz, are you deaf, dumb, blind and possibly dead? You don't know what Nescafe and Maggi are? Nescafe makes coffee, and Maggi is best known for their 2 minute noodles, as well as various cooking ingredients such as sauces and things like that, as well as frozen meals.

Our Host!