Attacking love lights?!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Argoso, Jul 8, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Argoso

Argoso New Member

I'm not sure what happened, but when I go to Ashbury, the Love Lights (the little glowing Will O The Wisp-like things) start turning hostile and forcing me into combat mode. I think it might be because I killed a regular Will O The Wisp in the Glimmering Forest. Is this supposed to happen?

2. Notharah

Notharah New Member

hmmmmm.... what was your alignment at that point?????

3. Milo

Milo New Member

I think it might be a bug. There seems to be a few bugs in Ashbury where things go hostile on you for no reason. Another example is that crazy-ass halfling/gnome woman that attacks out of nowhere somewhere around the city limit line. All of a sudden, she comes running at you with a -1000 reaction. If you kill her, your good followers will get pissed thinking you just murdered an innocent.

I've had the psycho-love light thing happen to me also. In my case though, I was just running around the town with my followers lagging behind. All of a sudden, I notice that I'm in turn-based as though I was in a fight, but nothing was attacking me. So I scroll around looking for my followers and notice that Dog is attacking all the love lights. Oh well.

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I think it's possible for your followers to initiate combat with something. I think they run into it and get stuck, so try and kill it to get away.

5. Argoso

Argoso New Member

Around +90, so that couldn't have been the reason...
    Must be a bug :roll:.

6. BadKarma

BadKarma New Member

I had them attacking me one time too .... wasn't evil aligned either, so it's probably a bug....

7. Nakar

Nakar New Member

Magnus gets upset if you attack the Stillwater Giant, of all things too... Weird, innit?

8. Milo

Milo New Member

God, I hate that little shit.

Magnus even gets mad when he attacks "innocent" people. Mad at me! WTF?

An example of this is in Ashbury. Near the outskirts of town, the crazy halfling woman attacked my party. I ran away from her, never attacked her once. Magnus on the other hand started beating the crap out of her with his axe. As he's killing her, he tells me, "Ach! Ah cannae believe ye'd attack sooch a gud perrrson! Ah willnae be havin thus fer mooch longerrr!"

Man, the best thing about Magnus is that he can make those lightweight axes at level 12. Once he's made those, and I have a couple Pyro Axes, he's gone for good.

9. Argoso

Argoso New Member

Lol @ Milo

I know what you mean. I get to the part in the BMC mines (the floor with the plant room) and the half-ogre hiding behind the wall jumps me, which then causes Magnus to start griping about how I'm "following an evil path" and that he won't stand for it much longer :roll:.

I really like the game and I'd like to see an Arcanum II, but the AI is something they ought to fix in the next version. That and the lag/constant loading problem, which is something that doesn't to seem happen in similar games like Baldur's Gate or Diablo.

10. xento

xento New Member

That has happened to me as well, I went to Ashbury and all of the civillians in the area started to attack me. Also, I have attacked (or pre-attacked) enemies that are very strong and magnus complained too. Also, I have shared that lag problem... it once took me almost 10 minutes to shut down the game. It was at night in Ritezzie's bed room. I was about to pick-pocket his key, when LAG ATTACK. Sometimes it can drive me nuts as well... They should release a beta version for testing and wait maybe a month or so for 10 ppl to play and re-play the game to get rid of most of the bugs.... That should do it, right?

11. Milo

Milo New Member

One thing that helped me with lagging and slowed stuttering gameplay is clearing my Task Manager of everything except Systray and Explorer. Turning off my cable modem, disabling Zone Alarm and virus scanner along with all the other background stuff gave me about 90% system resources. This helped a little.

One that helped alot was grabbing a DirectX control panel thing. Using this, I was able to turn off Sound Debugging, which for some reason was left on by default. Doing this cured the "flickering stopwatch/stuttering game" problem.

12. xento

xento New Member

13. Argoso

Argoso New Member

@ Milo - Thanks for the tips 8).

Although, part of me still thinks there shouldn't be the lag problem at all...

After all, Arcanum isn't really a true 3D game. Starcraft and Warcraft, which also use an 2D overhead view, have to deal with hundreds of different sprites on a realtime basis, but they're able to do it without any real lag. Even when I'm playing much more complex 3D games (with much higher system reqs.), and running internet/various small apps/downloads at the same time, I still don't experience any measurable slowdown. I have enough RAM (256 mb worth) that lag shouldn't be a problem.

I think the big problem is, the game engine they're using is brand new, and they haven't worked all the kinks out yet. The people at Blizzard and Black Isle have had years to perfect/improve/upgrade their Warcraft/Diablo/Baldur's Gate/etc engines. With time, the lag thing is something Troika can and should fix...

14. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

The love-lights thing isnt abnormal. It happens, I killed some zombies in the cemetary and one attacked me. They get pissy if you kill anything within thier sight range.

Our Host!