Ashbury

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Frigo, Oct 13, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

My destroy-all-life character was heartbroken that he couldn't slaughter the animals at Falcon's Ache, no matter what he did. They were among the only being left alive in that game.

He did permanently statis them, though, so that they at least would not have any joy from their lives, but such a solution still left a bad taste of dissatisfaction.

If only the game continued after the game's end, so he could go there, kill them all and die in peace, aware of the perfection of his work... Sadly, that wasn't A:WIP.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Finally, after all these years, I managed to dominate a character with willpower 20. The trick is, of course, to use the mental inhibitor schematic from the second level of the BMC mines.

[​IMG]

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

One of those things only a technomage will ever accomplish, seeing how 20 Willpower characters are immune to Drain Will, the mage's equivalent of the Mental Inhibitor. A shame, really, makes the spell virtually useless.

Funny, that. King Praetor was the one I always wanted to dominate and force to do silly things myself.

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I'm going to play around with Dweomer Shield + Disperse Magick on those goddamn bunnies. I play an elven god of infinite power who have little tolerance for agents and holy places of other gods.

On a side note, I have cast Reflection Shield both on my character and one of my followers and then some arbitrary spell on either. The spells I have tried on the PC have normal or absolutely no effect, while the spells cast on the follower fail to take effect, instead the game displays a "You lose your concentration" text.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. I like your roleplay idea and I'm ruminating on ideas to get around the curse too.

The holy grail would be to achieve a permanent reflection shield but, as you say, "you lose your concentration".

PS - Well, I've tried everything I can think of. Once you break the peace of falcon's ache, whether from control animal, nightmare, poison, dynamite or even introducing a rogue monster into the mix, you and anyone in your party will have quench life knocking on your door every five seconds for ever. If you give a follower resurrect scrolls and tell him/her to wait, they can resurrect you... in time for the next quench life. I'm all out of ideas. If I were you I'd roleplay my way out of the determination to fuck with the curse of Falcon's Ache.

6. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I always cast Dweomer shield on myself before I start killing people in Falcons Ache. If you do, the curse won't affect you.

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The curse repeats itself every 10 seconds, so it will reach you eventually. Once set in motion, it's unavoidable.

8. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Was it so in Vanilla? Because I remember getting out of there just fine after having butchered the humans.

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

As I see it, Frigo, if you're truly determined to kill the protected species, the only way is to wait until you are just about to be banished, put up a reflection shield and Leave It On until the end of the game, then smite the critters and go to the void.

It's actually pretty cool having the threat of death hanging over your head and the Russian Men's Choir singing "Laa!" every ten seconds. Ominous.

By the way, is the Quench Life curse of Bessie Toon (when you steal the deed) also unstoppable? What about the curse of Stringy Pete when you smite the Williamsons?

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I tried to protect myself with the Dwoemer Shield in 1.0.7.0 while butchering the animals of Falcon's Ache. I found myself doomed, because indeed the curse repeated itself every 10 seconds, no matter how far I teleported from the place.

A good one, sir.

I never experienced nor heard about a Bessie Toon-related Quench Life curse, nor do I see the possibility of steeling the deed.

You can only get the deed from Stanton via dialogue (by buying it from him or by talking him into it) or by collecting it from his dead body, but since it doesn't appear in his inventory unless he is killed, it cannot be stolen from him.

Also, if given to either Percival or Sarah, the deed disappears from the game so it's impossible to steal it from him/her, even if you kill the new owner.

That's a curse I heard about, but I wouldn't know about if it weren't for the Internet, even though I told the Williamson's that instead of giving them the treasure, I'll kill them and keep it and done just that. Tried telling Pete about the affair, but there were no such dialogue options.

Seeing how this doesn't qualify, what does one have to do to have this curse cast upon himself, exactly?

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Once, and only once, I stole the deed from Stanton and took a few steps before my life was quenched. Didn't try that again! I think that was pure vanilla and I'm pretty sure I picked his pocket and found it there.

Only ever read about the curse of Stringy Pete. I guess it doesn't exist.

By the way, treating this thread as the current meta-abuse journal, yet another neat trick:

When a follower summons a critter (eg Zan Alurin summons an earth elemental, but presumably scrolls work just as well) then cast Reflection Shield on that summoned critter. Without cancelling the reflection shield, advance time one hour. The follower now has a permanent follower! Cool, eh?

PS - Muro, to answer to your question from the other thread, I play 1.0.7 with the level cap remover. Drog's patch 'fixes' all my favourite bugs, probably including the lack of PE penalty on Nature's Wrath. This alone I could live with, but it also bugged up the altar in Voorindal making the god quest impossible, and I do the god quest with every character. Does anyone know if this is still the case in the latest version?

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Do you mean the altar in Vooriden or the altar of Moorindal?

I finished the Pagan Gods Quest in Arcanum 1.0.7.4 + UAP v081229 without encountering any problems. If you'll tell me the nature of the bug you experienced, I will be able to check if it's present in UAP v081004 (the one included in A:WIP) and UAP v091225 (the latest one).

13. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Haha, dur. I meant Vooriden. Having replaced the altar stone, no offerings were accepted. Simple as that. I tried it both before and as part of Stringy Pete's quest and nothing worked. Thanks.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Checked. The problem you described appears neither in v081004 nor v091225.

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

What.

EDIT:

16. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Bumped cause it's an awesome thread. Not sure why did it associate it with your post.

17. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

18. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

This *was* an enjoyable thread, I'll give you that. Is the ability to do this without actually posting a bump post a new thing with the forum software upgrade of last year?

Our Host!