Archers again.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Shadygrove, Jun 27, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

I have stated before that archers are overpowered in this game. A case in point.

I just took a 9th level archer through the bow Master quest on Stun, a short bow, speed, & a few other potions & spells. Kept the Bludgoners Stunned the whole time. DX 9, bow 3 1/4 Expert, PE 8.

Went in on a potion of IN, Haste, & Fatigue Slower. 2 AoF & SoE. Stunned the undead archers. One dead archer fell on each of my turns. Stayed in TBC except for looting bodies to make the potions last.

Stunned the Bludgoners. Tried switching to the long bow I had just acquired. Did no more damage than the much faster short bow to those heavily armored monsters. Switched back. 2 Stuns & a whole lot of arrows each combat round. They never got a chance to swing. Seeing as I had just hit level 10, this is not only part of the plan, it is a very good thing.

Bought SoP, lit it, turned the SoE off, & ran the arrow gauntlet. Used 5 small blue potions the whole time.

The game designers made archers strong, but I don't think they really thought it through.

2. Myrdyr

Myrdyr New Member

Definitely for early-to-mid game. The only problem with archers is there aren't many really great bows to use for late game.

One bit of help for archers: The first time you enter Tarant, the smith (dwarven) sells a compound bow. Of course, the Elven Hunter's Bow has a high probability of being for sale by the magick smith every day.

3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Ellemun's Bow. Speed 25. Best bow in the game. So good even techies use it. :)

4. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

Now I know why I stock piled all those arrows from those kites!

Raven and that bow go through quite a few. My solution is to moderately load her down so she shoots only like 20 a second!

Trouble is I don't think shes hitting anything, my big guys up front with one whack are takin out the baddies.

Hey just thought of something, I guess I can have her long range attack someone so I don't have to!

Parmanian

5. Myrdyr

Myrdyr New Member

Minor problem with archers: you have to pack along arrows.
    Major problem with archers: too much clicking in turn-based, or take your chances in real-time.

The missing solution: A bow that has low speed but very high damage. The pyrotechnic bow comes close, but I'd thinking more on the lines of explosive projectiles (perhaps no radius damage).

6. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

I want ALL those arrows that Green Lantern had in my youth. Or maybe duct tape so I can tape grenades to the shaft.

With the Helm of Yacazar's Cost, PE + 4, bow + 2/4, some -s, Raven gets Much Better. Keep her loaded with 200 - 400 arrows, & have Sog carry about 1,000. If you want to slow her down, take the Guantlets of DX & speed boots away from her. Or let her cary Magnus' spare Dwarven Chainmail. Or let her wear chainmail. Not Mythril, it weighs 100 stone for her.

7. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

you talkin the elven chainmail?

Parmanian

8. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

No, that weigh 350. The Mythryl Chain's weight goes down with higher MA. Payne wears he regular size, & threr is a small set in the Drenholm Pits. Rarely for sale in both sizes at the Magic armorer's in Tarant. I have never seen it in Caladon or Qintarra.

9. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I was thinking that because raven was raven she was special and so was the armour if she wore it.

Parmanian

10. Vulpii

Vulpii New Member

You do realize that you don't even have to fight the bludgoners? Your supposed to shoot out the light globes in the room and they disappear. It's an archery quest after all.

Have to agree tho about them being too powerfull, i'm playing a halfling archer thief/mage now with 22 dex, haste, and the mithril bow from quintara. its rediculously easy. in TBC he can clear out 3 or 4 lvl 35 monsters in one round. and then prowl and start a new round without ever getting attacked.

but then again, none of the other classes i have built were difficult to play at all.

maybe the game is just too easy in general.

vulpii

Our Host!