ArcanumAlive Project [UP 28.11.2008]

Discussion in 'Vault of Folly' started by Crypton, Nov 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you want new Arcanum client ? Read description in below...

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It is not needed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Sounds hawt. What country're you in? It should be pretty cheap to get off like Amazon.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I notice in Australia the entire Balduar's Gate boxset goes for about $20. That however is in some EB games and predominately 2nd hand stores.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I appreciate the gesture Xiao, really, but it's more of a lack of free time than anything right now. Maybe when fall rolls around where I am I'll be done moving/new jobbing/whatevering enough to mayhaps contact you again.

DF, if it were possible I'd make that entire thread you linked my signature.

5. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Maybe you should think things through a bit before you start trying to recruit. The number of interested readers who are able to help is more important than the number of readers.

Anyway, I'm moving it to the modding forum.

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

7. Crypton

Crypton Member

Philes:
    I wish I knew english more, so I could describe everything in way I want... but unfotunatelly I dont know english well, so its hard for me to describe anything, especially technical stuff...

I hoped that people will understand to my thread, since there is picture of what I've done so far (it was a months ago) but then I was really disapointed that almost nobody were interested in this project, so I stopped working on that, because it will take me years to finish it without any help... and I wanted to make real progress but it wasnt possible alone.

Now I want to continue on this project, I wrote here with hope that somebody will join or offer a help with something...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This whole affair is preposterous to say the least.

Recreating a game engine is an extremely hard work, even for professional programmers with a lot of experience. And in the case of Arcanum it is practically impossible, as it will take many years to reverse-engineer everything.

Basically, what you're doing, Crypton, is asking for somebody to do everything for you. You just started learning serious programming (C++), you have no experience, nobody will follow you, especially for a project of such scope. It's just one of those 'hey guys, I have an awesome idea' threads, nothing more. Seriously, you have nothing but ambitions, and yet you're throwing hissy fits that nobody cares about this 'project'?

Take this immature shit elsewhere.

9. Minuos

Minuos New Member

It's nice to see an attempt to improve things...but I don't understand the reasons why you'd want to do this. The time spent on merely scratching the surface of it could have been better used finding ways to improve what's already there, and what people are already used to modifying...besides, if anyone's played Oblivion or Fallout 3 with mods they'll know that probably a kind estimate of 1 in 50 do any good, or are necessary at all. The rest ruin what's actually enjoyable in a game.

The last thing I'd want to see in Arcanum is unimaginative player content and badly written dialogue. What you're doing is essentially the same as taking a classic painting, trying to make prints of it in an overly complicated way, and claiming it'd be an improvement.

10. Crypton

Crypton Member

Thats your opinion, I did a lot of research without you, I managed in 2 weeks to make a skeleton app and partially convert tdf and sec files, so I made game with tiles drawing only, but it was done only in 2 weeks...

Nevermind, I wont ask here for any help anymore, I see that people are skeptic here, I'll do it all by myself...

11. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I was under the impression that the project was about reverse-engineering the file formats used in arcanum and then porting the game content to an entirely new engine - which would be a whole lot of work regardless.

Having full knowledge of the file formats used in arcanum would allow for many awesome things, making a new engine to display them would only be one of them. One of the most effort-intensive ones, mind you.

12. Crypton

Crypton Member

Yes, this project is about "researching" arcanum game and its file formats, and I'm doing that at same time including engine rebuilding...

I'm pleased that at least one person is not skeptic about this project bob :)

EDIT:

Oh my gosh, thanks for moving my thread to section that has less user views... how kind it is :lol:

13. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Man, I wish you'd follow your own advice and stop this insanity.

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Can we please just lock this thread or something?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Our Host!