arcanum thoughts and impressions of TORN (yawn)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oogey Boogey, May 15, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Oogey Boogey

Oogey Boogey New Member

hi

Im a newbie to these boards...been to the others frequently, but I just finished the arcanum demo and have some impressions. I would also like to know what you all think.

1 the interface is too friggen big. Holy shit...it takes up half the screen and it also doesnt allow for me to move my characters very far or very fast (hmm..maybe that is how the extended gameplay)

2the art is Diablo (1998?) and fallout 1998?....way to shitty compared to 2d games coming out or recently out. Just look at Commandos 2 and you will see what I mean. the Icewind Dales looked damn good too.

3I had a great time with character generation and some of the inventory items are fantastic...some look like shite hehe

4it had a lot of bugs...as many as fallout2 and while I know it is a demo, isnt it supposed to be finished and on shelves already? hmmm...

5It was immersive...I think it will be good when it comes out. I have to get over the graphics and enjoy its gameplay and dialogues and story which seem very good...very good

6Ill buy the game regardless of my gripes as it is really fun. I would even say it is addictive.

TORN...since you all talked about it so much and mr fancy pants from bis showed up too.........................................

torn looks boring.

torn has nice surfaces...it looks like real rocks and stuff.

the lighting looks cool...much better than some previous 3d games.

torn doesn look like it has any content...no dialogue...no stuff in the areas...just hallways and shitty spell effects. It looks to me like the artists making the surfaces area doing a great job. the writers coming up with the ideas suck. what the hell is the chick with the pink tail? whose idea was the donkey eared guys? OTHER THAN THAT IT LOOKS TOO CLICHE!! what it looks like is that bis is trying to make AB&B instead of AD&D..haha

yawn.

I do look forward to the special system again.

but I did like bauldurs gate...I also liked torment and Icewind Dale a lot...I hope BIS gets their shit together and makes something good. until then...I cant wait for arcanum and fallout 3.

til then...ill go back and haunt the other boards.

oogey boogey

2. gridflay

gridflay New Member

Dammit, where'd this guy come from?

I actually agree with vitually everything he said.

Clearly, he's been drinking.

Or reading my mind....

3. Wojit

Wojit New Member

I'd post here about how I disagree, but I didn't really read the whole thing.

4. gridflay

gridflay New Member

Wojit, you wacky spammer! :wink:

Damn, you must sleep less than I do.

Didn't think that was possible.

5. Calis

Calis Member

No they don't. The team has many of the people who worked on Planescape: Torment.

That in itself gives me hope it'll turn out OK.

6. Whipporowill

Whipporowill New Member

I agree that those writers _should_ come up with good ideas, Calis. But what about them donkey-eared halflings? Not very creative in my mind...

7. Calis

Calis Member

Donkey-eared halflings do not make or break a game for me.

8. Skorpios

Skorpios New Member

Maybe I'm being a little cynical, but I think the ears on the character models in TORN are pretty much for identification purposes - you'll notice that the races with big ears all have them at different angles - so hopefully, when your party is all kitted up in armour etc, you can still pick the sidhe from the halfling by the ears...

9. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

Planescape was the best of the infinity engine games, I agree.. But it wasn't that good when compared to something that Tim Cain has touched.

10. Whipporowill

Whipporowill New Member

Torment was a great game, much due to it's story and characters. More like a play than an actual game... there where choices but wasn't it rather linear?

11. Killian

Killian New Member

Ok, the management steering the team in the direction they're going suck.

12. Beelzebub

Beelzebub New Member

I cant help but think Torn will be like a numbed down version of 'Rune'.

13. Calis

Calis Member

And I can't help but think you guys have very little faith in the design ability of the TORN team.

I'll start bashing it when it turns out to be something to bash, but right now I'm going to stick to being mildly optimistic.

14. skwerly

skwerly New Member

A chick with a tail?? Where?? Annah's sister, maybe?

<skwerly scampers off to Torn website>

15. Spook

Spook New Member

Give them large eyes, and you´ll see that it´s manga style. :razz:

16. gustavef

gustavef New Member

17. Aldin

Aldin New Member

Thus begging the question, what does make or break a game for you, Scorpion-tailed Half-Elves? :smile:

18. Calis

Calis Member

Aldin, in an RPG, I want a gripping story and kick-ass gameplay where I can make decisions that actually affect the way the story turns out. I must confess, after playing the first Arcanum beta, I had my doubts about Arcanum's story. It seemed interesting enough, but not as interesting as, say, Planescape: Torment. The second beta cured me of that, though.

As for TORN, I trust the designers will be able to pull off something interesting and cool.

19. Whipporowill

Whipporowill New Member

I have to admit that Torn's concept art looks a lot better than the current 3d sketches of the races. What I don't understand why one has to mess up the races to be creative? Why not just create new ones, huh? Nah... that'd make people not want to buy the game, or what? Can't follow their reasoning.

20. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

Exactly how I feel Calis, and after the demo, I think That Arcanum is gonna be a blast, who knows, I mean I like playing it boht turn based and real time, I like the fact that you can do so much stuff in the game and do it differently each time.

Our Host!