Arcanum Overlooked

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, Jun 24, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

For lack of something better to do, GameSpy have taken a look <a href="http://www.gamespy.com/articles/525/525439p1.html?fromint=1">at games they thought were over-looked</a>. One of the four games they look at is Arcanum:
    <blockquote><B>What It's About: </B>What would Victorian-era England be like if magic existed in the world, and didn't get along real well with technology? Arcanum uses this premise to build one of the most interesting settings in recent RPG history.

<B>What They Did Right: </B>Arcanum features arguably the best (and certainly most in-depth) character-creation system ever. This combines with an original setting and a ridiculous amount of quests, from small "Fedex" item-retrieval quests, to a huge and all-encompassing story. The wide variety of character skills means that you can approach these quests in vastly different ways. The game also allows you to pick between nearly a dozen potential party members as you work your way through it.

<B>What They Screwed Up: </B>Arcanum suffers from "Quake Syndrome"... which is to say that while it's not really accurate, the overwhelming impression people have of the game is that it's grey and brown. The settings, while complex and well-designed, don't have the distinctive look of Fallout or the colors of Baldur's Gate. The all-violin soundtrack, while musically impressive, grates on the nerves after a relatively short period of time.

<B>Why You Should Grab It: </B>This game will give you hours and hours of entertainment (just turn off the music). If you're into character creation and picking different sets of skills in order to alter your gameplay, it's hard to do better than Arcanum. The game is prettier than people remember it being, and there's nothing cooler than crafting a badass battle-axe that lights things on fire when you hit them with it. </blockquote>
    Go on over and <a href="http://www.gamespy.com/articles/525/525439p1.html?fromint=1">have a read</a>.

Spotted @ the <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com">Codex</a>

2. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

I never did play Wheel of Time. Is it any good?

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I agree to most of it but... Quake syndrome? Repetitive music? Nothing I've really felt with this game. Then again, I'm a hopless Arcanum fanboi, so...

4. DEATH AT THE DOOR

DEATH AT THE DOOR New Member

It's basically Quake with spells instead of weapons. I found it rather repetitive but some levels were creative. The graphics were good for that time and the sound was rather realistic. The high point of the game was multiplayer: when you start, you could build traps, walls, summon help etc... Each character had it's abilities and such... Was unpopular, though, so few people played it.

Quake Syndrome? True, but it didn't bother me, same for music. Too many gamers put graphics before gameplay. That killed Arcanum.

5. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Quake Syndrome is an odd name for it, but he has a point, that the fairly bland colors sure didn't attract gamers.
    And although the Arcanum music is very well done, it might be nice to have had some instrument variation, and a couple of sections of music got really annoying.

But the most important point is: more people should buy arcanum.

6. DEATH AT THE DOOR

... So any good mention of it is a good thing.

True, Icairus.

7. xento

xento New Member

What is he talking about?

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    The Pyrotechnic Axe I'd guess, but it doesn't really set things on fire does it?

9. Baal

Baal New Member

Not that I know of.

DU what the hell axe where you talking about.

10. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I'm not talking about any axe. I'm quoting Gamespot.

11. Locue

Locue New Member

I wonder where they got that one from. Some kind of mod?

12. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I than playing it again and it a petty good game. My mouse is greezeing up once awhile. I might get abetter computer in the future.

13. xento

xento New Member

Charles, I know that everyone else seems oddly attracted to you , but I personally consider your posts a headache to read. Some oould probably say the same about me, but at least I don't type like a third-grader. Oh, and my boobs are bigger than yours, too. Eat shit and die.

14. Kenny-fan

Kenny-fan New Member

Arcanum is the best game ever! I really love it! And I think that I'll be a good friend with Virgil! :D
    Sorry for mistakes but I'm from Poland :D
    Errare humanum est! ;)

15. DEATH AT THE DOOR

16. Krystian

Krystian New Member

yeah i love arcanum too, it's such an in-depth game and there's so much you can do from character creation, backgrounds, followers and also such history it leaves you craving for more

hmmm not many people like the multiplayer but i think it's great i love making something into a base lol like building traps around houses i'm hiding in and surprise attacks and even forming parties with other people ;)

17. Krystian

Krystian New Member

oh and sorry for the double post but who is charles? not to be offensive but where are you from you don't type very well and why are those two arguing over who has bigger "boobs" as they would call it?

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    Surprisingly enough, in this forum, if a thread has been inactive long enough we tend to fucking let it stay dead.

19. Krystian

Krystian New Member

hey stop swearing at me ya fucking imbocile i didn't look at when it was posted you retard besides my comp says it was posted 30/7/05

20. floyd

floyd New Member

If I were a moderator, this is where I would write: B&!

Our Host!