Arcanum Multiplayer Improvements...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by ICERSX, Jan 4, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ICERSX

ICERSX New Member

Hi all :)

Having originaly got and completed arcanum several times back in 2002, I recently decided to give this great game another go and stumbled across these great forums. :D

Anyways... I too (like everyone else) am disapointed in Arcanum multiplayer but was wondering if there is anything we (as players) can do about it?

I mean... I can list about a dozen other games where players have taken it upon themselves to improve a game that the original developers have given up on (through a community made patch/mod etc)...Is a similar thing possible with this classic game?

Even to this day I still play Diablo 2 purely because of its decent (if rather dated) online play...

If a way can be found to improve Arcanum, i'm sure myself and many others (especialy in my Diablo 2 clan) would love to give it a try.

Anyways...Just a thought :/

Thanks for reading.

2. ICERSX

ICERSX New Member

Well I just gotten out of a game of arcanum online (i died lol)...Surprisingly I found 3 others in the lobby who were also trying to get a game going...turned out to be pretty fun.

Anyways... I decided to write down a few of the main things Arcanium multiplayer needs. I realize this may just be a dream but it can't hurt to simply discuss them. Feel free to add your own gripes/complaints about A:Multiplayer to the list. :p

1: Dedicated server support - This could open the door to semi-persistant world servers (like on never winter nights), where the server remains up 24/7 and players are free to login/out at will.

2: Lag issue resolved

3: Option to save character files on the server rather than client machine - Again this is a big step to allow persistant world servers & would also make it alot harder for players to 'cheat' or use edited characters to gain an unfair advantage.

4: Additional "Dungeon master" commands for the host - Things such as #move #teleport #invis etc to allow the "dungeon master" to run the server more efficiently.

I would imagine that those four things are going to require that the network code be re-written into something a little less primitive and more efficient...

Our Host!