Arcanum: Japan

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by jfkoski, Sep 4, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I was thinking of what kind of game could continue along the format of Arcanum tech v. magic and this idea came to me: Arcanum - Japan or Samurai Arcanum or Arcanum: Far East.

At the start you'd have limited tech, say gunpowder and such. Later in the game the advanced techs would be available like steam engines.

Characters other than Samurai (or Ronin) would be Warrior Monks or such as well as Mage-Priests and Sorcerers.

One of your skills would be horseback riding to increase your ability to travel by and fight on horseback. For instance you could equip your followers with horses if they have this skill.

What you'd do is explore a town or region, gather followers, equip them and level up as well as go on quests, like Seven Samurai. Meanwhile the backstory has to do with Warlords and battles of armies. So imagine it's "time" for a big battle. Much like it was "time" for Don Throgg's protest, "time" for Willoughsby to show up, and "time" for the kidnapping near the Firearms Master.

You go to the general or shogun or daimyo and offer your services as mercenaries (joining the army would be boring as an adventure). Then you're asked if you and your followers split up according to type: mage, archer, footsoldier, calvary, gunner, explosives expert, (captain?) or stay together as a special forces - type group. I like the idea of a captain either training his group of troops so they do a little better in the battle or advising the general.

When the battle comes the program computes based on skill level, dispersement, quests, and equipment whether you win the battle and if you and your followers survive. You see a cinematic. If you win and survive then another area of the world map is opened up for you to explore. If not, then reload and do something different, like give a follower that died better armor.

2. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Hmmm... A mainly magickal Japan is flooded with evil technological products from Europe :)

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Sounds good and sounds possible - except for this:

Troika didn't bother adding horses, much less riders to Arcanum.

All the same though:
    If you're up to the challenge of learning how to mod, then there's a few dozen people around here who would be singing your praises for such an endevour. Me, for one!

4. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I thought this forum was talking about sequels not mods?

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Since Troika went down, the only realistic hope we have for a sequel of sorts is if someone makes a truly epic mod.

Which is why I'm counting on you, rroyo!

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

In that case, I hope you have the patience of a saint.
    I've still got a long, long way to go before I'd be ready to try something like that.

Hey jfkoski - check back here in - oh, say 2020 - I might be ready by then. (grin)

7. mathboy

mathboy New Member

I'd say it's more probable that we'll get Arcanum 2 as a "real" game, not necessarily made by Troika, long before we get a mod.

All the reasonably intelligent modders seem to be working on mods that make small changes to the main module (that's what I understand at least, rroyo and TONGSyaBASS, correct me if I'm wrong) , or small modules like lord halifax does (did?).

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Can one infinity be greater than another?

Our Host!