Arcanum as free MMORGP ?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Crypton, May 23, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you want Arcanum as free mmorpg ?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

Hi everybody.

I was thinking about if its possible to convert to mmorpg...

Of course its not possible till developers will remade it,but as you know Troika games is not anymore,so somebody (probably any big game company ? Interplay ? Vivendy ?) own that source codes and license to that game.

Do you think that somebody who owns that source codes will release them as open source (as free) if there will be petition ? If not,do you think that they will sell them ? or how much it will probably costs ?

Also with source codes,"we" can add new features to game and so on...

I'm able to found webpage to ask people to donate for this project (to buy source codes and remake them to online only as mmorpg).

So What do You think about this ideas ?

2. mathboy

mathboy New Member

3. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I suddenly have this uncontrollable urge to kill.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Multiple sessions of rape in the ass, then go for the kill!

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

6. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

I don't get why everyone is so angry :/

7. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Then you haven't got the spirit of Nasrudin flowing in your veigns, after all.

8. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

Um I'd have to say no. MMORPG players aren't exactly the brightest. Case in point, WoW. Paying 15 dollars a month to take you to some ded. servers where you play a game with no storyline at all (literally) and you just go on random quests and spend hours to get one experience point. Doesn't sound appealing...

9. Darkform

Darkform New Member

part of why I like Arcanum is I can make undead or Automatons/Arachnids till I have a lvl of lag I would be willing to play with. if it was MMORPG and more than 1 person that plays like me is on server each player would have less minions or there would be so much lag other people wouldn't want to play on the sever with me or other 20+ party player. see a Necro in Diablo II that has max minions (almost everyone bitches and says "unsummon your minions they are laging me"). Arcanum and D2 are the top 2 games I like because you can actually have a army of minions.

10. team a

team a New Member

there's no way a game company would take up a renewed interest in Arcanum. If only someone could get ahold of what used to be hosted on the servers and host it privately, though, I think you'd have almost every person in here join up.

Arcanum's multiplayer (as far as I can tell) isn't supposed to be played with a lot of people, and I'm sure there's some way to limit who's in your game. I bet most people on t-a would want to play with people they already know from here, as long as they know they aren't playing with idiots. And, since Arcanum has a limited fanbase, i doubt that people would start pouring in and lagging your automaton armies to hell.

11. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I'm against MMORPG Arcanum.
    I'm for finding new host for Multiplayer Arcanum (that is not MMORPG).

12. Crypton

Crypton Member

As I said... when you have source codes then you can do anything... almost everything with them,add new features make a bugfixed and so on...
    Also increasing slot limit for multiplayer it possible,because master server (sierra) may hold more players (max count of players is coded in exe,so it may be not hard to change it to 32).

Also with source codes you can create a expansion pack,if you know there is not official MOD SDK,and when you have source codes you may create a lot of apps because you know structures of all used files in game,no reversing will be needed...

I think that optimizing Arcanum for more players wont be hard... after I'll finish a dedicated server and respatch then I'll look much is possible to optimize Arcanum for online play,but I think it will be easy because if you'll capture all packets (with Ethereal for example) which are sent by Arcanum,then you might see that mm_won.dll is sending a lot of packets to flipside.com and so on... so by disabling them in mm_won.dll,game may run without lags.

13. hellriot

hellriot New Member

This would be a bad idea, people who play Arcanum can edit their character stats. So people would be lvl 50 with max stats and all spells. So you would have high lvl losers attacking you and calling you a noob like they do in all the other MMORPG's.

14. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Back when Arcanum multiplayer worked, I think I saw at most two other people online at the same time (on the server, not in one game).

There's a reason for this. Arcanum multiplayer sucks.

15. hellriot

hellriot New Member

I disagree with you on that. I think its more fun to play Arcanum with friends than to just play alone. The Arcanum story line is just way too awesome to be played alone. I think the Arcanum module should be compatible with multiplayer.

16. Crypton

Crypton Member

Hey :p Why do you think that Arcanum as mmorpg must be same as Arcanum ? I'm thinking about something new... of course the main features may stay untouched,every file structure may be changed,game speed may be increased and so on...

Nevermind,if people wont want it I would do nothing for it... but I doubt that nobody will play it when it will be released :p

17. Darkform

Darkform New Member

oh just realized the FREE part of FREE MMORPG well if you have FREE client download also you will get 1,000-10,000+ players playing it. you can make a MMORPG that sucks and get 1,000 kids to play it if they didn't have to get mommy and dady to buy anything. I think maybe new engine and maybe $45-$60 for the install disks and maybe $5 a month with it coming with 12 month free then you have a Idea. need to charge to keep it from being overcrowded (have you seen a not to bad FREE MMORPG? they have so many people on them it is hard to click where you want to go without clicking on another player.). at least charge for the software or $5 monthly if not both.

this is if you don't use only current Arcanum as the engine where it could be no monthly because you bought the CDs. making a new engine would take a developer and they want money so the return of $45-$60 for disks gets them that then the $5 a month pays for updates and servers.

LOL FREE even if we used old Arcanum as is and just had fans mod us a big world we would have to charge a monthly fee to buy and maintain server space (unless some fan makes and maintains a sever that can hold everyone and will NEVER get bored of keeping the server up even tho he gets no money for doing it. not even to offset the cost. it would be nice if his kids would keep up the sever after he dies also and their kids but lets be realistic.).. a fan moder will have to make a patch that sends you to that server when you tell Arcanum you want to connect to the internet host the patch on Terra Arcanum (should be easy) and make sure that it works with every possible mod or get every big mod maker to add it to there mods.

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You're so wrong it scares the shit out of me. The Arcanum OC was never intended for cooperative play. Why? Because if we let people roam the game world at their leisure, we'll inevitably run into the situation where one player is forwarding the storyline while everyone else is camping at the Ashbury Graveyard or Liam's Workshop. Sounds like great fun in a story-driven campaign doesn't it? Of course, everyone could belong to the same party of adventurers, which would be even more silly since they'd all have to remain in the same general area and had to travel wherever the designated leader wanted to, which would kinda spoil the idea of freeform gameplay. The third option is the MMORPG cliché that all the quests are individual, which is the silliest of them all, unless lining up behind the 400 other miscreants that are taking Arbalah's sacred artifact from Fahrkus is your idea of fun.

19. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

The essence of CRPGs are choice and consequence. Consequences imply a responsive, dynamic, "deformable" world that is changing according to your choices. Numerous PCs in the same world, interacting with it and each other, imply numerous choices and consequences all affecting each other, creating a chatoic and extremely complex world, that is well above the possibilities of present day designers to make, or computers to calculate. Instead, designers of virtually all MMORPGs choose a completely static world with extremely limited interaction between players, effectively rendering CRPGs into the soulless, dull powerlevelling waste of time we're all so aware of.

20. team a

team a New Member

Why don't you try to get multiplayer working on a server, and take it from there? I mean, I'm not saying that it's doable, but if you have the interest and time, and bandwidth, I would definitely play and I think others would too.

Arcanum.dat can't be a real multiplayer mod, and definitely not a MMORPG-type world. Even for a cooperative party of you and a few friends, the game will always treat all PCs as the same person, because it doesn't use PC flags or PC variables (like Vormantown). However, I still think it would be fun. It wouldn't be at all like the single player experience, but you would be able to play with people you know from the community who you might never have interacted with outside this site. The cost of doing this would be suspension of a great deal of reality, but I'm sure there will be interest. And if you go through the work to do this, I'm sure you'd want to be in the same places as those players, since the game can't actually logically progress for multiple players in this mod.

I would definitely be willing to do up some Vormantown, even though I know not everyone is a fan of it. It's definitely a model of how to make a multiplayer mod (using PC flags, having dialog that reflects multiple players completing quests, etc), even if it isn't perfect. If that were available right now, that's what I'd be doing.

There is a limited availability of really multiplayer mods (is v-town the only one?) but simple ones wouldn't be too hard to make for some of the more experienced modders here.

Our Host!