Arcanum 2 Total Conversion?

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Gforce4999, Aug 21, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Don't you worry. I can't ban you, and I certainly don't possess the influence to make the admins ban you either.

2. xfewagainstmanyx

xfewagainstmanyx New Member

3. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    No, but she can *points to Xiao_Caity*
    She's got Rum Cake.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Maybe. But I don't want him banned. He's too much fun. Especially when he gets angry :)

5. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Read through this damn forum, there's been a bunch of notable attempts to get something going in this direction. Pay attention to what eventually became of them.

It so happens that usually, we only get one person at a time who's seriously interested in making Arcanum 2 or a huge mod. You're one of them this time. That being said, many people here have at least exchanged ideas about a sequel, often coming up with quite elaborate plans.

I'd hesitate to say we've all been where you're now, but certianly you're not the only one who's had great ambitions and lots of motivation to share. The problem is, these aren't nearly enough, you can't wish Arcanum 2 into existence - and belive me, many have tried.

As I've stated some time ago in this thread, you'd have to come up with something to get others interested. Make some decisions, get some skills and use them to build a base for this project. Once you'll be able to offer people something more then vague invitations to work with you on something that has to do with Arcanum, maybe anyone will treat you seriously.

You've mentioned a website - go ahead and plan some content for it - come up with some sensible project guidelines, some story outline, some ideas as to how you intend to get from scratch to an awesome new mod. If you can get as far as that, without getting discouraged, bored or simply writing bullshit, I'll help you put that together into a project website of some sort.

6. xfewagainstmanyx

That I did.

Yes that is what I intended to do. I think next year I'll get Oblivion or the addons and start learning how to mod and apply new textures on pre-existing models or even on new models.

7. captin_black

captin_black New Member

howsa bout steam its got a massive community and would be excellent launch platform..
    as for getting people together to actually make this happen i think you'd need someone with money, facilities and influence get this of the ground...
    thwen again theres loads of succesful mods for half life platform so why cant we pull together?

8. xfewagainstmanyx

As far as I am concerned (but I don't want to bore anyone with my personnal opinions, or I'll be deemed pretentions, apparently), I thought of Battlefield 2, and they have quite a lot of mods, and thus when you look at all these mods, you've got the feeling that modding is not an impossible thing.

captin_black, the Steam engine has been mentionned in this thread but apparently it has difficulties processing vast areas.

...or we could simply PM the dudes of this forum!^^

9. Saturday

Saturday New Member

10. Saturday

Saturday New Member

So how about that ?
    I've got rough ideas for the main storyline already. If there's interest I'll post 'em.

What happened to all the guys saying we should make a plan blablabla ? :D

Now we've got an outline. Let us start filling it. Eventually we'd need our own forum/wiki to set it all into motion. After a rough sketch of the outcome (let us call it the Project) I'll give it a polish and then we can actually present the Project to a modding community.

- Sat.

11. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Just putting up a webpage isn't enough, you'll have to fill it with some interesting content to get anyone started there.

I've seen many too many one man initiatives like this to just hop in and start posting away on an otherwise empty webspace.

Keep going though, persistence is what you need now. This won't just click in and start an avalanche of people offering to contribute.

12. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

I believe that I have earned the right to be the mastermind appearing at the end of the game, with all the comments posted on this forum relating my ideals with Kerrigan's.

"GarmGarf, the Diviner", a character proficient in the Magical colleges of divination and necromancy.

But unlike Kerrigan, GarmGarf doesn't ask the player if he/she wishes to join him, but rather, GarmGarf asks the player if he/she will do the deed for him. Rejection of course causes GarmGarf to seek another individual who will be the "last boss" if that case arises. Instead of GarmGarf's goal being the storming the world killing/destroying everything, GarmGarf sends the player on a mission to get some artifact or whatever which can terminate the life force of everything instantly, ignorantly and painlessly. The other alternative is to just convince GarmGarf that life is interesting with the good and the bad, and that suffering isn't necessarily a thing to be negated, which requires high persuasion and a decent amount of intellect.

Sound good?

13. xfewagainstmanyx

Awesome dudes.
    Heartening. I shall dig it more thoroughtly tomorrow morning, got a bad hangover right now.

14. xfewagainstmanyx

Well guys, when I mentionned Battlefield 2, it was not for the engine (I don't think it is compatible with vast different maps), I just alluded to the fact that it has a big modding community, and I don't think applying new textures and stuff is a big deal. Coding must be quite the opposite I own.

15. Saturday

Saturday New Member

Hello again.

Well. I did write an introduction of sorts to the blog now.

Everybody and anybody interested in the least should check it out. If there's enough people interested we'll start a more sophisticated discussion.

Oh and do vote for the poll - I went for the Source engine. I personally love the engine in play and I saw some room for modding - namely the Hull Breach caught my attention. It's a pity it got shelved - it had some awesome progress and great artwork ready.

- Sat

16. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Thanks for making the website Saturday! I'll go over it later tonight (as doing uni work atm), I'm glad someone got the ball rolling as you put it. Just as a suggestion; put Farcry 2 (I think it was) up on the list of engines (pretty sure that was the one with some large section of africa in it - plenty of room to move).

Update: 15th November

I recently tried to access the link again recently and it didn't work...

Our Host!