Arcanum 2 : the fallout in Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Darkform, Dec 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I'm sure this has been brought up both on Arcanum AND Fallout fan-sights BUT.

I would like to see ether a Arcanum where there was a mage war causing a Fallout-like condition with magick and gothic steampunk in pace of 1600s future-tech style.

one possible time storyline could be that some Vendigroth-ians hid in shelters when Vendigroth was destroyed. coming out MANY years later, or just sending the player out.

another possible time storyline could be that some time after Arcanum 1 the mages kept getting more and more bitter over tech gaining more and more influence, causing a few hotheads to trigger the Fallout setting.

(both of those possibility need the player to start in a shelter that the race he chose would have had access to. unless the player started in a shelter that would have accepted all races.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Its called the Vendigroth Wastes.

3. Darkform

Darkform New Member

LOL very close to what I was talking about. but to make it be Fallout-ish the bare minimum that should be modded is to have the player start in the underground ruins themselves, but to balance the game when making that the starting point the lvls of NPCs/Monsters/Critters would need to be changed all over the map. if this is done it is no longer Arcanum 1, but ether a MOD or Arcanum 2.

4. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Vendigroth-ians (who hid in shelters when Vendigroth was destroyed.) came out and took revenge by engaging World War III with their opposites, and creating a Fallout-like world. Through this war there are four camps, Mages, Technologists, Normal people, and because of the outburst of magical and technology Mutants as well.

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I don't see it being something that could be done with any real class.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I don't know about real class, but Arthgon's idea is interesting.

7. Darkform

Darkform New Member

the main quest could be to Sucre a prosperous future for Arcanum with 6+ possible winning endings to the main quest alone:

good tech: tech thrives by finding and convincing the highest tech people to build and tech at a newly constructed school for tech (since there are less points required for all tech skills compared to magick, some added people will need to be convinced that are skilled in tech not considered as things points are put into in game terms, like the knowledge to make component items and the steam engine itself)
    evil tech:
    good magick: Magick thrives by finding and convincing a master mage of each collage to rebuild and teach at "New Tulla"
    evil magick:
    good balanced: both tech and magick thrive
    evil balanced:

(of course trying to convince them will take a combination of persuasion and magick/tech rating of the player. mostly if the rating is 0 but the player has 20 persuasion and mastery he can pull off both, but the higher the players tech the easier to convince the techies and harder to convince mages and vice versa)

(Firefox spell check is pissing me off. this time it didn't know versa was a word and I had to look it up on goggle by typing "define versa" just to find out I spelled it correctly)

(OMG Firefox didn't know spelt was a word. I still decided to change it to spelled, because it's just slang for spelled, where the non-slang spelt is a old word that has a similar definition to split [Websters dictionary])

edit: (spelt is also a noun: a wheat used to feed livestock)

8. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Would be 5 sides then: mages, technologists/vendigrothians, normal people, mutants and inhabitants of the Void - I am pretty sure mages would resort to their help in case of an all-out war.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    For there to be a true Fallout conversion you'd need factions like the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave methinks.

10. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I think if a Dwarf of Arcanum that played Fallout 1 and 2 (via someone sending him a PC and copy of Fallout 1 and 2 thru dimensional travel) would wonder why the Brotherhood wasn't a clan of Dwarves and why Gilbert Bates wasn't the head of the human run Enclave.

(OKAY Firefox spell checker is officially pissing me off. now it's saying Dwarves isn't a word)

(you may have noticed I use "thru" allot but even tho it is not a word in itself it's a widely accepted abbreviation of "Through", even tho Firefox doesn't recognize it as a word I do understand that not all the places Firefox reaches would think it's a word so I never add it to Firefox's spell check dictionary)

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The Brotherhood of Steel:

Background: A dwarven clan dedicated to gathering and advancing technology, trusting science more than their muscles, which is why they were always considered strange and untrustworthy by the other clans, leading to the Brotherhood keeping to itself.

Could be a new to the Arcanum universe, never mention clan (since other dwarves didn't even consider then true dwarves, which is why they didn't fancy talking or even thinking about them), or depending on when would the "Fallout in Arcanum" take place, they could be the Iron Clan, or possibly the new Iron Clan, rebuild by king Magnus Shalefist and his successors.

Gear: Electro Armors and Machined Plates are a must. Same goes for Tesla Guns and Flamethrowers. Mechanised Guns for the elite paladins.

The Enclave:

Background: Descendants of a fraction of Vendigrothians who build an underground shelter for many years just in case, and hid in it when the tension between Vendigroth and that insane elven mage were becoming more and more worrisome.

After the magical destruction of Vendigroth they didn't want to leave in fear of a strong magical field covering the upper part. When it was safe to check the surface, the Vendigrothians discovered there there is nothing but an hostile desert there, with the occasional twisted monsters with appearances twisted by those evil magics. Seeing how the shelter was self-sufficient, the Vendirgothians decided to stay in it, lock themselves and ignore the outside world.

This situation lasted for centuries with following generations raised in the spirit of superiority over the inhabitants of the outside world. With time that, which was initially education about history and the nature of magic and technology, changed to "magic is evil" propaganda. They also believed that everyone outside is stained by magic, even the dvarves (supernatural evolution, after all), therefore it was only a matter of time before from a 'disgust yet tolerance' point of view this evolved into thinking, that all of the outsiders should be wiped of Arcanum's surface and Vendigroth and Vendigroth only is worthy to rebuild and repopulate Arcanum.

At this point they gathered all of their already advanced military technology, multiplied it worked on it until they fell prepared for the upcoming invasion, cleansing the world of the magically mutated scum and returning the rule of Arcanum to the rightful ancient order.

Gear: Vendigrothian Machined Plates + possibly some energy variations (Vendigrothian equivalents of Electro Armors). While the "Brotherhood of Steel" focuses on heavy and dirtying tech weaponry, the "Enclave" prefers smaller yet more advanced, clean and elegant (after all, they lived in a sterile shelter for all of their lives, they are all oversensitive pedants) gear. Therefore: Droch's Warbringers, Bronwyck's Guns, some powerful Vendigrothian electro pistols.

12. Darkform

Darkform New Member

where Mechanical Plate is similar to Power Armor, the Meca Suit I made and Rroyo placed in AWIP (all that needs done is change it's visible name, if even that) (don't ask me where he put it or the schematic to make it because I won't tell) is similar to the Advanced Power Armor.

if someone worked on making the mod "Arcanum: the Fallout of Arcanum", I would offer my ability to create Protos (just don't rush me, because like everyone else that can alter/create protos without anything other than a good hex editor, I am a little touchy. I'm not saying I'm as good as the others but I can alter/create the same Proto even if it takes me more time to get it done)

please! unless I offer to alter/create a proto for you or your mod DON'T come asking for me to alter/create a proto for you. (that said this post is a official offer to anyone making a mod based on the topic of this thread)

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

[derail mode]
    Everyone is used to the name now. No need to change it.

[/derail mode]

14. Darkform

Darkform New Member

well the Mecha Suit was a compromise between what I wanted to do and how much time I was willing to invest into doing it.

the actual way I wanted the Mecha Suit would make it only be suitable for a limited range of mods. (probably would fit in well with CArcanum) but if I ever do revisit the Mecha Suit to make it the way I intended I will probably just give it a different name, since the Meca Suit is already know as is and is a good steeping stone to what I would have made. (the completed version would actually have game breaking abilitys and equally crippling disadvantages, including removal of some basic player functions when equipped [like being able to talk]. basically it's use is so limited that I haven't really considered making that version, considering all the other more useful stuff I'm working on.) (to get a idea, the original vision inspired by Robotech but like I said it wouldn't be good to place in most mods.)

Our Host!