Any suggestions for this mage?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Phadech, Mar 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Phadech

Phadech New Member

My Best Mage Ever:

Race: Elf (Ideal race for any mage)
    Background: Debuntane (Penalty to useless combat skills, bonus to Be and Ch)

Stats:
    WP: 18 (For learning all spells, of course)
    CON: 17 (Maximum Fatique recovery, 6)
    STR: Base, which is 5, I think
    IN: Adjust for activating 4 spells, which is enough considering this mage will not use summoned creatures. High IN will also enable some quests and such.
    DEX: Maxed, for maximum action points.
    CH: Base, which is 11 for this race and background. Can raise to 12 with the Toussade quest, persuasion expertise allows 4 followers, which is fine.
    BE: Base. Arbalah quest increases the reaction modifier, also buy the Elegant Dress in the very beginning, and wear it in cities, especially while shopping.

Skills:
    Persuasion: 3 (Many fate points and easier quests)

Spells:
    Conveyance: Maxed (Teleportation rocks, Unlocking Cantrip and Disarm are also useful)
    Force: Maxed (Disintegrate is awesome for ignorant Ore Golems and such, Jolt is also useful when you are surrounded)
    Necromantic Black: Harm, Conjure Spirit (Harm is fine for almost every target, Conjure spirit uncovers useful information, the other three spells are useless, especially Quench life is a big SP and fatique waste)
    Temporal: Maxed (Tempus Fugit is great)

Followers (Good):
    Virgil (Ideal combination of healing and offense)
    Sogg Mead Mugg (Melee god, no useless Tech affinity, can be equipped with best magical stuff)
    Chukka (Like Sogg, great melee fighter and no tech affinity)
    Raven (Another healer for the Ogre guys and the dog)
    Worthless Mutt: He is free and useful.

Followers (Evil):
    Virgil (Healing and offense)
    Geoffrey (Plenty of damage, useful spells)
    (The Dark Elf in Tsen Ang, forgot her name) (Even more useful spells)
    Vollinger (Actually you can have him with any alignment but evils can rip the Firearms master and arm Vollinger with the amazing Looking Glass rifle)
    Worthless Mutt: Useful melee fighter.

I have developed two different Mages (good and evil) and both rocked.
    As I said, suggestions and comments are welcome ;)

2. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Well, take advantage of the charisma to get followers to supply your lack of combat skills. It's good to have Sogg as you want, he's neutral. For an extra healer you can get Dante, plus he's free; also there's Perriman Smythe.

I suggest that if you're evil (good choice btw) you get Torian Kel, he'll really suply your lack in combat skills. He's a pure melee fighter, so you can give him anything because he's neutral. Geoffrey is an excellent follower too. And maybe you can get Tollo.

Well for your evil mage I have some suggestions... you can start by getting the awesome Dark Helm! You can get one in the basement of Malachi Rench's castle after killing a Lord of the Damned (good experience), or just buy it from the gypsy women.

There's also the Bangellian Scourge, that would be perfect for any character (any one), but you don't have melee... so just give it to some Good character (not to Torian or Geoffrey because that will make them less tolerable to your "goodness", I hope you understand what I mean). The Scourge is in 1180W, 289S. Just pass through Hardin's Pass and go to the Bangellian Deeps.

The ring and amulet that are in the secret lab in the Stonecutter clan could be useful for a mage too, I don't know, they raise your Magic resistance a lot, and the amulet raises your IN +1.

Well, if you need anything else, just ask. :)

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Jewel of Hebe, Ring of Influence for charisma boost. Dante as a follower for good version (a better combination of offense and healing than Virgil, he starts with ST 12 and can go up to 20, plus he has combat spells). Loghaire is great .Vollinger is a tech so healing him might be a bit of a trouble for a magick based party. He is also incredibly slow with LGR. Suggested guns: Bronwyck's gun (probably the best for him- fast enough, good fire damage, low ST requirements), Hand Cannon (can be stolen from Sammy White or gotten from Pollock during a quest), Sharpshooter's pistol, Mechanized gun (can be stolen from a guard during the factory riot quest or made by Maxim in Caladon). MG demands higher ST than Vollinger has, but he still makes some 5-6 shots per turn.
    Suggested follower for both good and evil: Waromon the lizard if you can do the Bedokaan quest by dialogs alone. Give him a decent bow and he's lovely to have around.

Our Host!