Any modules in the works? Or any listings?

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Anonymous, Oct 19, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi all

Kinda disappointed in what seems to be a general lack of modules. IMHO the Troika releases weren't anything special or anything made by that CB person. Seems the only decent modules Grey Hills and White Sands are no longer in development? Looks like the most active person these days is making his modules in French. Are there English translations available?

Is the editor that time consuming, unstable, flaky, etc.?

Also does anyone have a list of English(or translated to) modules in the works and site URL's?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If anyone want to translate my forth module (Treasure Island), there's only one dialog file !!!
    Triblonto
    http://arcanumlab.free.fr

3. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Yup. I ran out of time to mod a while ago. Now, with Arcanum pretty well, dare I say, dead, I've gone to mod Fallout.

Time consuming. I personally never found it unstable or flaky. It's just the amount of time needed to make a mod is pretty astronomical... Considering you're doing it in your spare time. Then there's the fact that not any people seem to actually PLAY the modules... That kinda sucks the inspiration out right there.

If you haven't found it already, here's my page with the list of mods:
    http://users.senet.com.au/~dbschah/modules.htm

Has everything I know of except for the latest French one.

4. lester_mckay

lester_mckay New Member

Well, I'm new to the modding community, but I have a mod in the works. Scripting is turning out to be pretty easy, since I 've have some programming experience in the past. I've been working on it a couple of weeks now and things are moving along quickly (and I have a lot of time on my hands).

The mod takes place on a 64X64 map and, though that may seem small, it should provide for some extensive play. There will be, at least, 13 cities (2 to rival Tarant) and 8 key locations. It is possible to walk the map, but because of time concerns I have created a coachline, trains and ships to get you to key locations quickly.

The name of the mod is "The Great Arcane War" and, though I don't have the history worked out completely, it is about a great kingdom that split in two. You come into play in the aftermath of the war. There will be lots of quests and I am even considering putting in a Mercenary's Guild from which you can hire followers.

It's a multiplayer mod and I have created quite a few monster generators, so the places you have cleared out (i.e. roads between towns) should generate new monsters when you use them again.

There are a few things I don't know about scripting that I could use some quick help with (or stumble through and find out for myself), so if anyone has quick answers that would be appreciated. My current issue is probably pretty simple. I am having trouble creating a doorman (such as the Ogre in Tarant at the Gentlemens Club). I can do the doorman's script and dialog, I just can't figure out how to activate it by trying to use the door he is guarding. Any pointers would be helpful.

As for the rest of the mod, I have been working on it for about 2 weeks and have two of the large cities completed and most of the quests for them done.

When I am finished with it, which shouldn't be long, I will need a place to post it.

You can e-mail me at lester_mckay@yahoo.com for any updates on the mod or to offer any suggestions to include in the mod.

My wife, who also loves playing, would consider it blasphemy for anyone to say Arcanum was dead. We have been playing for about a year now and have plans to make many mods.

I will share this one with the public to see what they think.

5. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

The problem is that since Arcanum is so wonderfully rich, expansive, and above all complicated, it takes a truely dedicated person to create a mod of any substance. :cry: I have recently undertaken (by myself) to create a mod which is, essentially, a sequel to Arcanum. :-o However this naturally is an extreamly ambitious undertaking, therefore the fruit of my labors is not likely to be seen for a least two years. It is unlikely that any truely excellent mods will arise unless someone decides to do it themself; or Troika announces that they will develope Arcanum 2. Until that happy day dawns, however I will laboor hard on my mod. If possible I will set up some beta portions of my mod online for download and review once my site goes on-line. Until then play, practice, and bombard Troika for news of Arcanum 2. :grin:

6. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

still kicking!

I, too, am working on a mod--different one than the one I was 4 months ago, but a mod nonetheless. I am striving for a compact storyline, with about a dozen optional side quests and endings to try and cater to the different varieties. If I recieve enough requests, I am leaving parts of it intentianally undone, so that a sequel could be worked in, or an "update" as it were. One complete line of sotry and a dozen side quests... seems like a lot, but not to the player, eh?

And yes, this is in english, such as it is, so no translation will be necessary. Although, reading french in good context isn't that bad, and good mods are a good excuse to review my HS french lessons! :)

ruelz

7. PoEHeavyBlade

PoEHeavyBlade New Member

I'm making a fairly ambitious mod called Twilight Shards. The main character wakes up outside a custom brothel :) in the center of the industrial sector of a city called Illuminiara with no memory of who she is. Sound fun?

-PoEHeavyBlade

8. tree1180

tree1180 New Member

re

although, all it seems like i do is get my posts in the vault, i too, am making a sequal to Arcanum, "Return From the Void". It's going prety well, and, well, for fear of this post being put in the vault, (because pretty much anything i say goes there) i will keep this short.

9. darkllama

darkllama New Member

well, tree if you actually said something intelligent and looked at dates before you posted, then you wouldn't be a vault-bidden superstar...

Our Host!