Another question, hopefully easier!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Philes, Aug 25, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Since you guys were helpful last time, I figured I'd try again. Looking at some of the weapons in the game, I noticed some of them have a "TH+5" bonus or something.....and I have no idea what it means! It's on all kinds of weapons, so maybe it has something to do with throwing? I figured out the rest of them (FD is fire damage, NP was a bitch to figure out) but this one is stumping me, and it's nowhere in the manual that I can find.

Also, what is the effect of weilding a weapon above the MSR (which I'm guessing is minimum strength requirement). Virgil seems to do just fine with them...?

Thanks in advance.

2. Langolier

Langolier Member

TH is "To hit". Basically, TH is your accuracy.

Next time you're in attack mode hold your cursor over an enemy and observe the "target" symbol that appears in the status window. This will have a % on it as well as possibly a picture of an Eye, Brick Wall, or Light Bulb.

The % is how likely your shots are to land. So the higher the better.

The lightbulb signifies a lighting penalty, which lowes your TH.

The Eye a distance penalty, which does the same (for ranged weapons).

And the brick wall means there is something obstructing your view of the target, which lowers your TH. (for ranged weapons)

3. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Is it possible to make aimed shots in arcanum (more time units used slower rate of fire higher chance to hit) or is it only possible to make called shots?

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

It increases the critical failure chance, as far as I know. Wielding weapons not too far above the MSR makes little difference (I routinely give Vollinger and Sebastian Mechanized guns and a Pyro axe+shield to Jayna, which is 1ST below the MSR in both cases) and they do fine with them. But give Virgil the Sword of Baltar, and he is bound to cut his own leg off with it.

5. Langolier

Langolier Member

Only called shots.

...and to add to Solaris' explanation of MSR: I believe it lowers TH slightly too. Most of the time MSR isn't a big deal as long as you are only a point or two under the minimum.

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Yeah, after further expiramentation I noticed both the lowered TH and the critical change failure increase you and Solaris mentioned. Thanks for the info!

One more question: I started a mage char and I noticed that I have a mana pool that is greater than my normal Fatigue points. I think it might be due to the magikal staff I'm weilding because it goes away when I de-equip it (durrrrr, obvious). Is that really true? Is there any way to tell what the actual number increase is on things like that without wearing them? Can you get the extra mana points from non-weapon magikal items?

That's my big pet peeve with this game.....thinks like charged rings and Magnus's gloves and other things don't actually *say* in their tool tip what they do. It's very annoying to find out these things by trial and error.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Yes. Magickal staves and some magickal weapons (anything Arcane, for example) give you extra mana. They also recharge themselves over time after the mana has been used up.

Also, some magickal weapons have a limited number of built-in spells you can cast without using up any mana at all. There's a button on the left side of your "status bar" (or whatever you call the lower part of the screen where all the info is) which is activated if you have such an item equipped. Mage's staff has such spells (in addition to the +50 mana that it also gives), although they aren't very helpful.

The Stillwater Blade is unique in this regard- it only has ONE spell (summon beast), but you can cast it an unlimited number of times, and it drains no fatigue from you at allo, neither for casting nor for maintenance. With high intellect and an equally high magickal aptitude you can use the Stillwater Blade to a rather spectacular effect, instantly summoning up to five powerful creatures to fight by your side.

If you want to know more, make a search on "Vorpal Bunny Breeder"- a character concept I've once suggested here.

No. To both.

On the other hand, this way the game always leaves you something to discover. I've been playing Arcanum for years, yet I still stumble upon something new from time to time.

8. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the answers! You guys are a big help, I'll be sure to swing by here more often as I play more and maybe eventually learn enough to help other people with questions instead of constantly asking my own :oops:

Our Host!