And the downfall of America continues...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, Jun 26, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

2. No.9

No.9 New Member

Re:

[​IMG]

3. wayne-scales

But, like, what's the big deal? Is it just that same-sex marriage was legalized, or is there something else?

4. No.9

No.9 New Member

There were three big things that happened this week in re human rights in the States.

1. SCOTUS declared DOMA unconstitutional and with its ruling gave married same-sex couples federal rights and benefits.

2. SCOTUS did not rule on Prop 8 allowing for a lower court decision to stand which will re-institute gay marriage in California.

3. Wendy Davis, a Texas senator staged a filibuster that kept the legislation from finishing their vote until after midnight thus killing a bill that would have closed nearly every abortion clinic in the state.

So... without meaning at all to sound super snooty, loads of people care.

5. wayne-scales

6. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I guess the most important thing to note is there are about 2 Americans here so that is why we don't care.

In my country its still illegal and even being gay was illegal in some states here as recently as 1993.

7. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'm with Vorak on this one. I don't see why marriage has to be a recognized form of anything from the government. Shouldn't we just treat everyone as an individual only as far as they are concerned for taxes and the like? If you want to stand in a circle with your friends all holding lit torches and declare yourself to be married, a pony, or an ice cream sundae that's fine. Why anyone else but your group should care is beyond me.

Also, +3 Vorak. Proud member of 'Murica here.

8. No.9

No.9 New Member

Re:

Oh, the internet is so wonderful!

Hrm. I find what's going on in the world at large interesting. It all relates in the end.

It wasn't until 2003 in the states that the remaining sodomy laws were repealed and 2010 on gays in the military.

Jesus, I feel like such a pollyanna here, which is incredibly odd.

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

No, it's just wayne-scales being relatively cynical, which is normal.

10. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Well, the US is pretty backwards when it comes to gay rights but at least it's encouraging that you're going in the right direction. Can't say public opinion in Europe.

11. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

What pleases me more is that the US has divided itself into fifty of such regions that can each be ruled by a separate majority. Fifty separate social experiments can all be run at once.

Isn't that the rub, though? Some people are arbitrarily denied civil rights afforded to others?

12. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

You what? The US divided itself up? Fifty social experiments?

Error.

The US united the states. And the only experiment taking place is 'can we have our cake and eat it too?'

Either you're separating church and state and defending secular rights for the individual, or you're no different from medieval Europe and the modern Middle East.

It's a function of human nature that half of the people in any revolution just want set up their own system of us-versus-them afterwards. Lincoln would be spinning in his grave if he wasn't riding polar bears in heaven.

13. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Re:

Lincoln didn't want black people to marry white people so I'm pretty sure he would have been against same sex marriage.

14. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I was introduced to the comedian Aziz Ansari this weekend, I thought his views on marriage seemed relevant.

15. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    So would you be even more pleased if the states further divided themselves up? Each congressional district could be run independently and have its own laws. That would be even better, right?

16. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Although, the Netherlands is still pretty tolerant towards same gender marriage (or homosexuality in generally), its lower than it used to be.

17. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I take it back: Lincoln is neither spinning in his grave nor riding polar bears in heaven.

18. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  19. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hey, you can always theorize that he only said those things to placate his political opponents and get the changes he wanted pushed through.

20. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Some of the most vocal proponents of this idea I've seen have been Church of Sweden priests, believe it or not.

It makes sense though. Marriage is a legal document. If you feel that it is more than that or want religious trappings to go with it; knock yourself out, but civil unions for all seems to me the sensible secular approach.

Our Host!