Alone in the Dark...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flink, May 30, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Flink

Flink New Member

I recently got my old Pentium working again and desided I was going to try some older games that I hadn't been able to play in a very long time. I installed DOS and got out my old Alone in the Dark CDs. The game is just amazing! Its more then 12 years old, and yet its still not that bad looking. Had they just given an option to allow higher resolution it would probably be sellabe today. (For those of you who've never heard of it, Alone in the Dark is the great grandfather of games like Resident Evil and the like. I personally think its far superior.)

Its one of the first games to utilize 3D in this way, if not THE first. Think about it, its older then Monkey Island 1, older then Warcraft 1 older then Wolfenstien3D! The first game is still the greatest in my opinion. Its H. P. Lovecraft elements really make it a lot scarier then the two sequels. Had I not finished it so many times I'd probably still find it scary.

Anyway, thats all. I'd recomend that you try it if you haven't. But its pretty hard to get working on newer machines tho.

2. backstabber

backstabber New Member

3. Flink

Flink New Member

Not quite, The first Alone in the Dark game came in 1991. I think Wasteland came about sometime in the mid-eighties. Still not that much time between them. I captured some screenshots as I played it today. (Note: These are from Alone in the Dark 2 as for some reason I was unable to capture screenshots in the first game. Never the less, Its the same engine and both games look pretty much the alike.)

Also note that the only webhosting I could get at such short notice was crappy geocities. As a results, the links only work if you copy and then paste them in to the adress field. Otherwise geocities would'nt be able to spam banners at ya! :p

http://www.geocities.com/jarlus4jarl/Alone1.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/jarlus4jarl/Alone2.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/jarlus4jarl/Alone3.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/jarlus4jarl/Alone4.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/jarlus4jarl/Alone5.jpg

True'lly a game ahead of its time don't you think?

4. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Those screenshots are almost as impressive-looking as my screenshots of King's Quest 1!

[​IMG]
    *Not actually my screenshot

5. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I rather enjoyed the King's Quest games (and the Laura Bow ones too)....

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Flink, those screenies ain't workin'.

I don't think it was made before Monkey Island. Before part 2 yes.

I didn't play part 1 all that much, but yeah, I agree to all what flink wrote about it's gameplay, it kicked ass. But that part about it's graphics looking good today? Umm, for someone using a 14 inch monitor? Yeah, probably. Alone 1 was the best, part two was still playable, but part three and that UGH part four totally sucked. Alone 4 was a total waste of time. Comparing it to games like Nocture it looked and played like total shovelware.

Resident Evil revived the series which had been put to death by Alone 3 and Ecstatica. RE didn't have woderful graphics at the time, the actors giving voice were total newbies. However, the excellent music composed by Masami Ueda and scary mansion scenario was a total bull's eye. Part two ditched the mansion stuff, but brought it something that I have never seen done again... You had 4 games in one. There were two main characters acting at the same time, divided into scenario A and B. So you could play both scenarions with different characters, if you choose character 1 you would play scenario A then B. Then choose character 2 and play scenario A then B. This created a really good intensity, integrity and sense of importance of what you do in the game. What you did and how many items you took effected the other character doing the other path.

I bought the PS2 for the RE series, only to be backstabbed by Capcom.

7. Flink

Flink New Member

Alright, so "looking good" might not be the right words. Looking acceptable today is probably better. I'm a bit biased as I've always considered these games (at least the first one) to be a work of genious.

Jinxed:
    Are you sure about those links? I got them to work here...

8. EvilEyesBan

EvilEyesBan New Member

I played part four they came out with recently on Playstation. It's a cool game, then again I'm a sucker for the horror genre. Silent Hill is perhaps the best series ever, that's the only game I actually had to stop playing I was so creeped out.

Our Host!