Alesande's Awakening

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by RPjunkie, Dec 7, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

[ooc] Sorry about the extreme inactivity this past week, but I having been dealing with a family trauma. My grandfather had a severe heartattack, and is not doing well.

Okay, I have procrastinated enough!!! We shall start this thing proper and get to the adventure. [/ooc]

Suddenly without any kind of warning or introduction. T he figure next to her fatherstepped forward and began to hand the reins of a horse to each of the gathered questors. He said not a word to explain his actions, and he answered questions with only a grunt. When he had finished he nodded to Aryth's father who then kissed his daughter, turned and walked into the immense structure that shadowed the Training Yard. Aryth was bowled over from shock! She fell as her legs turned to liquid. She tried to scream after her father, but her throat was dry and the words would not come! She did not realize that someone was either holding her, or she was on top of them-rather fallen onto.

As soon as Aryth was back on her feet the robed man that had held the horses immediately opened a satchel at his waist and began to pull rolled sheeves of parchment from it. He handed a scroll to each induvidual holding a set of reins. They differed only in the color of the wax seal. Upon opening the scroll each found the same words, explaining the deed for which they volunteered. Also inside was another scroll with the same color wax, but the symbol on this seal was different from scroll to scroll. At the bottom of the outer message the last line read: The scroll contained within is for thine eyes only, as well as the information contained on it. You will know when to open it and how to use the power it gives you.

Now Aryth could only think of the power of words written on the inner scroll. Was it a spell? Was there some sort of code or password needed to get them someplace? Or was it simply a ruse? The man then spoke in a voice that seemed weighed down by many years and immeasurable worries. He told the group before him: they should befriend gossip, and let those that talk, talk. To trust each other with thier whole being. To never doubt each other. And that he hoped to see them all again someday. He then pointed towards the southwest exit of the Training Yard, turned and walked to where Aryth's father had dissappeared.

Looking around at the faces of the figures around her Aryth saw puzzlement, curiousity, and perhaps anger as well. Aryth figured that this was the direction they were to start. She grabbed the reins of her horse, and started across the yard to where the man had pointed. All the while she was lost deep in thought, and blankly stared at nothing in front of her.

Thus begins our story........

[ooc] Lets go with that and see how all of you fair this episode. This shall be the beginning of our adventure. If someone's character wishes to make it known we are heading on a course towards the border of Orihalcyon, and probably the its capital city of Tfark.[/ooc]

2. Wolf

Wolf New Member

Jace walked beside Aryth, cheery and making conversation.
    "So, seeing as we're moving toward the border of Orihalycon, I assume we're going to Tfark?"

3. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

As the human that had first arrived in the Training Yard sauntered up to her, Ayrth could only imagine what line this one would come up with as an opening line. 'Jace' - Ayrth told herself to quickly learn his name! Growing up as she did in palaces and grand mansions, she very accustomed to being hit on.

The shock was visibly noticable on her face when he asked where they were heading. Was he not just paying attention? And why was she the one that he deferred to? Who had pointed her out as the leader? Aryth secretly wished, no screamed, in her head that she was not going to be the point man. How could she lead a group like this on a quest this important? Aryth told herself that there was no way that this could compare to persuading lords and ladies to do as she wished. Could it? She simply looked staight ahead and mumbled under her breath, "Um-mm."

4. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

[occ] WAIT WAIT, you can't leave without your bear! [/occ]

Name: J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op Regthnynut'lon (translates to) Walks the Paths of Gods, he'll let the first "foresty" person he meets pick an easier name

Race: Well, a polar bear. Of the Unglathy'rdegytar (Protectors) Tribe

Personality: Very proud, driven. Protective, kind of like the rest of his tribe.

Appearance: Approximately 8 1/2 and bren long, 8 bren tall when standing. Almost 3 bren wide, and about 200 weights. Covered in thick, coarse white hair. The Protectors were 'chosen' by the forest to defend the land, and imbued by the forest with magical powers. They have opposable thumbs, and the intelligence to use magic and simple tools. This one has a ceremonial battle axe that he rarely uses. Around his neck is an odd brownish amulet. Despite it's dull color, it glows with a strange aura.

Skills: The powers the forest imbued to this clan grant them a great grasp for magic. J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op has developed his abilities in the Nature college, like most of his kind. His training in melee weapons began in his youth, and he is proficient in most clubs, axes, and greatswords, although he prefers to fight with his claws. He has also studied all 4 of the elemental spell colleges. He also has an amulet that allows him to transmit his thoughts to others, even if he cannot speak to them.

History: The largest male in the current chief's first litter, he was immediately chosen to be his father's successor when the time came. His father began his training at an early age, and he was tutored in magic by the tribe's head shaman. The Shaman knew that whatever his task would be in this post-War world, he would need to be able to speak with these 'humans'. They were not like the elven rangers who came to them on occasion, most humans did not know their language. So he made this amulet, and on the day of J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op's 18th birthday, J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op was sent with his father's axe and the shaman's amulet to find out what the humans would need to rebuild the world. His only clue was a thin piece of bark that a ranger had given him, and the word Koss.

For several days he wandered around the small outlying farms. He had tried talking to the farmers, but most ran fled on site, or worse, called out others and tried to attack him. These were no serious threats, but didn't lift his hopes for this race's salvation. He knew something was wrong, something serious. The flow of magic was being disrupted by this...things...absence. He had to find whatever Koss was and get some answers.

Answers did come, in the form of a very helpful badger. In return for promising not to eat him (like he would anyway, badger meat is the food of dogs, not a Protector!) and getting him some of the higher fruits, the little fellow blessed him with knowledge about Koss.

Apparently Koss was a "city." It's almost like a forest, except made by men. J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op could hardly believe this, but made his way following the badger's directions until he saw a large group of stones rising out of the ground. Looking closer he could see people living INSIDE these rocks! Amazing! Making his way around the perimeter he saw how large the stones really were, and how many of them were there. He stood captivated for a second, then saw a group of ants departing of in the distance. He raced towards where they had left from, and as he got closer realized they weren't ants. He slowed his run and began to walk towards one in particular, a tall female.

He didn't know why he singled her out, she just had an aire. Of course, that fact didn't lessen their shock at having a rather large white bear in their midst. J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op could taste the tension. Um, hello?

[occ]Jesus Christ, someone foresty rename him quick! I'm tired of spelling out J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op! Ahhhhh![/occ]

5. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Alayna looked at the large bear. During her travels she had once come upon a bear tribe, far to the north. They had been very suspicious of her at first, but when she cured their chief of a poisoned wound with her medicines, they opened up. She stayed with the bears for six months, until she had been ready to travel back to warmer lands, and had learnt some of their customs and had a meager grasp of their language, though she understood it a lot better than she spoke it.
    She was as surprised as anyone else to see one here, so far from its home, but seeing that nobody else was used to meeting bears, she gathered herself and discreetly walked towards him.
    "Hello, stranger" she said in the bear's own language, trying to gain his trust. "Who are you?"

6. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

You speak Ursalurn?!? The shock of this unexpected revalation left him speechless for a second. But after the initial surprise, he quickly regained his composure. Do others of your kind know our language too? Nevermind, I have been sent by a ranger who had a strange pice of bark. He spoke of danger and of me finding my answers 'in Koss'. Do you know of these things?

As he spoke he eyed the others warily. There was a sturdy looking dwarf. He was very unfamiliar with the race, all he really knew was they lived under mountains. This one didn't do much to make him welcomed, but at the same time, he didn't feel to put off by his cool demeanor. Other warriors have their ways too, he reminded himself.

He looked at the rest of the warriors carefully. He decided this group of travelers were all in all good natured, some better than others, for he immediately snesed a connection with a rather dioriented young elven girl, and at the same time one male struck him with a vague sense of suspicion. He shook off these initial reactions. Father has said, you must know someone before you can know them. Throughout the first meeting he repeated this to himself.

7. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Jenya quickly regained her energy as a strange man walked up to her and gently poured some liquid into her mouth. The liquid ran down her throat smoothly, but her throat was dry that the liquid started to burn her, and it felt like she was choking. But the choking didn't last long and she quickly felt like her energy had recovered.

"Here, now you'll be fine," he had said, while helping her sit up. She then quickly placed her hands upon the cold ground and pushed herself off the ground, standing herself up.

"Tha...thank you kind sir," she had said to the kind man and she then began looking around again, interested in all of the strange people that were standing near and around her.

After a while, things began to slow down and people stopped coming. A horse was placed in front of Jenya and she was also given a strange scroll, having no clue what the scroll was, she decided to just place it in one of her pouches. Jenya did not know exactly what was going on, but she then quickly saw a bear walking towards them. She then saw some of the figures jump onto their horses and ride off, but she decided to walk over and greet the bear.

"What is a bear doing in an area like this..." she asked, not knowing if the bear would respond.

[OOC] Ok, didn't put much in here....but I'm a nature person so I had to greet the bear :p Oh, and blinky...Sigard is using green....[/ooc]

8. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

[ooc]Dammit, what other colors are there[/occ]

9. Silvara

Silvara New Member

[OOC]Yellow, orange and brown are available, I think.[/OOC]
    After her initial shock, Alayna had regarded the bear in more detail. He was a rather large specimen, and he carried a strange amulet around his neck - which was queer, because bears weren't used to wearing any kind of jewelry."Few humans speak Ursalurn, I'm afraid." Alayna answered. "I don't know anything about that piece of bark. But this is the city of Koss, and the group of adventurers you see gathered here have answered a call; it said that people were needed for a quest, whose ultimate purpose was to make the world whole again. It also spoke of danger and strife. Maybe this was what you sought." she continued, somewhat solemnly. She paused, and then she seemed to relax a bit. "And you still haven't told me who are you, stranger" she said with a smile. "I'm Alayna Kethalin."
    She had taken the scroll and stored it carefully, deciding to open it later when she had more time. She refused the horse as she had her own, a fine swift black stallion, whom she'd called Moonshadow. Then she had listened carefully to the old man's words, and watched everyone move towards the exit. Looking at the bear, she said, "But you won't have any answers if you linger here. Follow the rest of us. And you too, madam" she added, seeing the elven woman. Then she took her horse by the reins and guided it outside.

10. Flink

Flink New Member

[OOC]
    I have returned! Now lets get this thing moving!
    [/OOC]

Morvin broke the wax seal with his war axe which he still held in his right hand. Quickly, he opened it and eyed it with surprising speed. He was, after all one eye short.
    As the dwarf read his lone eye suddenly spotted a large figure moving in to view. Morvin slowly looked up, sniffing the air as he put the scroll in his leather belt pouch. "Bear..." he thought to himself, gripping the handle of his war axe harder.

It was not uncommon for the dwarves in the great peaks to hunt black and grizzly bear. Dwarves, do after all enjoy meat before most other forms of sustenance and bear meat while tough, was praised by many of the men of the FrostCleaver Clan as the most rich and tastefull meat there was. Morvin had himself killed several bears in his day, though nothing like this great beast. Before Morvin could even consider doing anything two of the nature-loving females of the group had already swarmed around the creature, speaking to it in strange tongues... "Very well..." Morvin tought. "Let them befriend this creature and keep it as their pet. Its a walking food store as far as I'm concerned... When we run out of supplies, I'll cleave its skull while it sleeps. Until then, I'll just keep my distance..."

As the party finally moved outside the city gates the dwarven berserker gathered the attention of his fellow adventurers and pointed towards the great mountains.

"Right now, listen up!" He made a short pause as he eyed one of the nature-loving fair folk which had her attention distracted by the newly arrived, and somewhat odd bear. "If yer done cuddlin' that oversized mongrel I suggest we be getting moving with all haste. I came here through the great Pass of Wotan, a route we must take if we wish ta' get near Orihalcyon before the next moon cycle. I know from experience that the great pass will soon freeze over with the comming winter. If we don't reach it in a fortnight the chance will be lost and we'll be havin' ta' take another way, one which I guarantee will take twice as long and will be at least twice as hard. I suggest the lot ready yerselves, The pass is at least 30 lenghts away..."

11. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Alayna sighed. "We'll have to be ready for combat then. Bandits love to ambush travellers in there, and they'll be desperate now that winter is near. Be wary, everyone."

12. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

Aryth could not help but think how all these happenings parallelled the life of nobility she had led. So much like that of a warrior too-quick, surprising, and ever changing. Events flew by so fast that she almost got lost in keeping things straight. She allowed herself to breath an audible sigh of relief when the dwarf spoke up and bellowed about moving swiftly towards the mountains. She only hoped that others would step forward to leadership, rather than the deferance that she had first received from them.

Although she could not understand the the bear and the two females talking to it, she had no doubts about prophecy's choice in adventurers. When the white hulking form turned towards the mountains, and set out at the same time as the the other two, she knew that this beast would be a formidable ally to them all. An ally providing that they could keep the dwarf in check Her schooling had taught her about the major sentient beings, and some of the magical ones as well, so she knew that dwarves held bear meat very highly.

Aryth simply rode along in silence. She made no attempts to start conversation with anyone. She simply listened, and prodded her horse onward. She was still contemplating the meaning of everything, but mostly the scroll and this late comer to the group. I hope everyone comes back she thought, and then added alive!

[ooc]BTW, are we forgetting the no sigs thing. No prob, just try to remember, PLEASE[/ooc]

13. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Oh, I am sorry. My name in J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op. It is good to meet you Alayna. And the same to you young elf. I would appreciate coming...along He stopped as he noticed a stout dwarf eyeing him. The dwarf readjusted his gaze, but not quickly enough. J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op had seen that look many times in the forest. The dwarf started yelling things, things his amulet told him to take offense at, and the party slowly drew away from the 'city', with J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op in tow.

14. Flink

Flink New Member

[OOC]
    As things seem to have stalled, I figured I'd try to jump start the thread with a slight action sequence. I hope thats ok with you RPJunike, Being that this is your thread...
    [/OOC]

The patchwork militia slowly moved away from the great city towards the high mountain peaks.
    As they left the rural farmlands surrounding the capitol many of the less seasoned adventurers looked back towards the city's familiar spires. For many this was the furthest they had ever been away from its comforting walls and protective turrents. Most wondered secretly if they had made a wise decision in joining this quest. Who knew which dangers lurk in the unknown lands which now stretched before them.

The farmland now made way for the roots of the great mountains. The rugged hills covered with dense forest which only gave way for huge rock formations that occationally erupted from beneath the thick undergroth. It was getting chillier now...

As the party came across a clearing in the otherwise seemingly unending walls of pine, they saw a man lying on the ground. Around him where traces of battle. Broken weapons, bits of cloth and even the occational body part lay in the clearing, a testiment as to what had come to pass only moments before. There was blood everywhere...

Morvin was about to see if there was anything of value among the debris when the man regained consciousness. With his last breath the man screamed at the top of his lungs:

"No! Leave now! It's a trap!" Before he could continue a huge two-handed sword came down upon his rib-cage, effectively cleaving him in two. Out from the bushes had lunged a grim looking Half-Ogre. But, he was not alone. Within seconds the party became surrounded by all manner of bickering goblinoids. There where orcs, goblins and even the occational kite. There was a second of silence, then the horrid group attacked with a unified battle-cry!

[OOC]
    I hope this is ok with everyone. I thought a little battle might spice things up a bit.
    [/OOC]

15. RPjunkie

RPjunkie New Member

[ooc] No prob with the action bit. Sorry about the stalemate; I was focusing on family for a few days. I did have something in mind, but this shall due! Perhaps.....[/ooc]

Aryth had thought about approaching the bear before entering the mountians and asking to be taught his language, one which she had never heard before. Aryth enjoyed learning a new language as she never knew when it may come to her aid. Having the priviledge of wealth, she had spent years focusing on the myriad languages spoken on Mysteria; and was now proud to say that could speak (and write) eight verbal and two non-verbal languages. As well as comprehend or read a dozen more.

What a thrill it would be to speak to this creature in its own tongue! she mused to herself. She decided that this clearing would be as good as any to further her education. As she fell behind the men and drew near the bear and women she heard a man scream something about a trap-a shout that ended in a gurgling sputter. She had never seen combat such the likes of this. But she was not prepared to let fail prophecy just yet!

She drew her bow and strung it in one fluid motion-gaining an approving nod from a few in the group. As she prepared to nock her first arrow, she froze with awe as the their bear-friend rose to his full height. Standing on his hind legs he stood nearly an impressive span! Twice the height of any in the group! He should be an advantageous ally in any battle. Aryth thought, and then shouted, "Let's hope you can fight bear!"

Aryth then closed her mind to anything but the battlefield, and chose her first target. As if on cue to make things worse; huge snowflakes filled the sky around them....................

16. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Alayna entered the clearing last. She had some suspicions - this was the ideal place for an ambush. She discreetly drew her bow and readied an arrow, trying not to startle the rest. Suddenly a large band of orcs and goblins rushed the party. Alayna, looking grim, began to shoot arrows at them, killing some, making use of the snow to conceal her actions.

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op smiled. Finally something vaguely familiar. His new companions were strange, but ogres and goblins, he was VERY familiar with them. And kites too, although they tasted so bitter that he didn't indulge in them too much.

The half-ogre took a double take at him, the beast obviously hadn't expected to be eye level with something. Then it steadied itself and, although the untrained eye would have overlooked it's subtle movements, set itself for a charge. J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op reached over his should and drew his rune encrusted axe. He felt pin pricks entering his shoulder as the ogre lunged. J'rtluhgfralt'uynar'op parried it's slash with his axe and shoved him off balance. Turning to see his other assailants, a trio of goblin archers, he wispered a few words and sent a coil of flame licking over the head of his axe to leap of into the snipers. Crispy style. I'll have to have a snack later

18. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Shedding his haversack, Dran threw himself into the midst of combat. An Orc lunged at him with a rusted sword. Dran parried the thrust with a knife-hand strike to the flat of the blade. He followed the parry with a thrusting side-kick to the orc's throat, collapsing the trachea. The Orc stumbled backwards, gasping. A flying kick to the chest, and he was finished. Dran turned as his senses detected a heavy axe blade hissing through the air. He dodged to the left just in time to see the blade blur past his face. Striking like a snake, he removed one of the goblin's eyes. Screaming, the goblin turned to flee, but Dran siezed his head in both hands and twisted hard, up and to the right, being rewarded by a satisfying crack. A slight hum caused Dran to tense up. He knew that he was about to be struck, and didn't have time to dodge. A tenth of a second later, burning pain lanced through his lower back as an arrow passed straight through and exited to the right of his belly button. The monk spun into a crouch, focusing his mind to shut out the agony. A kite stood about seven feet away, nocking another arrow. Dran knew he wouldn't be able to cover the distance before the kite fired, so he stepped to the right and watched the arrow leave the bow. With blurring speed, his struck the shaft from the air, snapping it in two. He had practiced that move for hours at the monestary, and failed nine times out of ten. Thank the gods he had suceeded when it counted. Before the kite could nock another shaft, Dran siezed his right arm, straigtened it out, and broke it with a hammer strike to the tensed elbow. The goblin screamed, and the monk grabbed his head and yanked it downward. With great force, he brought his right knee up into the goblin's descending face, caving it in with a wet crunch, spurting blood all over. As Dran turned to seek a new opponent, he felt the adrenaline rushing through his battle, the killing high he loved so much...

19. Quethim

Quethim New Member

Jenya kept trying to keep herself on the horse, for she had never before rode a creature like this. She managed to keep herself up when a shout was heard very close. She was taking the rear of the party, so she wasn't able to see where the voice came from or who it was who shouted it.

"No! Leave now! It's a trap!" is the words that came from the voice, the voice was then cut off and Jenya looked around as most of the party dismounted their horses and rushed towards some strange creatures. Jenya decided to follow them, and since all of them pulled out weapons, she decided to grasp her spear tightly into her hands and she quickly followed them. When she got closer, she saw that a battle has started. She decided to run into battle and fight off some of the creatures.

I remember these creatures, they once attacked our village, I've not seen the large one, but the smaller ones, I've fought them before! Jenya had said to herself and thrusted her spear into one of the small goblins, throwing it to the ground, in a pile of blood.

After killing once of the creatures, Jenya decided to stand back a ways from the battle and she searched for the largest enemy. Words began forming from her lips and vines began to form from the ground under the largest opponent, trapping him in an entanglement spell.

"There, that should slow him down," she had said out loud.

[ooc]I don't know if you killed the half-ogre or not....couldn't quite understand...so if not, then he's entangled :p [/ooc]

20. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Alayna was looking around for another unwary foe when she saw the entangled half-ogre. Puzzled, but not wanting to miss the chance, she nooked an arrow and aimed. In that moment, a dying goblin fell hitting her horse. She shook a bit, and the arrow hit the half-ogre's arm instead of the heart, where she had aimed. Cursing, Alayna readied another arrow, but a kite run up to her waving a sword and she used the arrow to dispatch it. Then goblins with daggers followed, and she was swept away in the tides of the battle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!