Advice on how to spend CP anyone?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Solaris, Dec 21, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I'm playing a dwarf gunslinger with miracle operation background, and not going to learn gunsmithy. That leaves me a certain ammount of saved character points even after I reach the maximum in perception and dexterity and a decent level of strength. So far I only spent 2 on learning to biuld devices (both electricity, for the charged rings). I'm getting eye gear from Magnus, so making a goggled helmet would be spending 4 points to get +3 perception, not really worth it. Any ideas about what else would be worth learning?

2. Canis

Canis New Member

Hmm.

My gunslinger put one point in explosives: those Molotov cocktails are fun to use when the enemies get too close, and they don't take any action points. Throwing is optional, since I'm hardly ever trying to toss them more than one or two squares.

Does Magnus ever learn that damned helmet of vision? (Or whatever it's called.... the one that you can combine with the eye gear to make the goggled helmet.) Bloody useless runt.

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

No he doesn't. He only learns 4 devices in each discipline and the helmet is the fifth. I'm so not amused.
    Molotov is a good secondary weapon, but lately I began to think about using corrosive acid as a weapon. I tried it on an ailing wolf and it worked. Got to check its effect on bigger creatures.
    I'm still thinking what to research. Is being expert in haggle worth it?

4. Canis

Canis New Member

Honestly, I've never found a use for haggle at all. It might have some limited use in the beginning when cash is actually scarce, but after a while.... Of course, if you find it amusing and enjoy it, go for it. Hell, if you've already got a pretty good character, you can't exactly screw things up just by picking a useless skill.

Damned Magnus! I've been schlepping around with him for ages, hoping he'd learn the helmet of vision. Well that means he's even more useless than I thought! Bah! :x

Is there a helmet of vision available elsewhere in the game world? I'd like to try the goggled helmet, but I really don't want to go into that discipline for it. Maybe I'll make my next game a designated "cheat game" and turn the full fury of the character editor on Magnus. God knows he deserves it.

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

If there is a helmet of vision somewhere else... don't know, never found it. Don't be so mad at Magnus, he's not that bad since he does give you eye gear. You don't really need helmet for armor if you're a gunslinger, and if you're a melee fighter you don't need perception that much, and you can learn smithy yourself for the elite platemail.
    I still need ideas though, I want 100% tech aptitude and I don't think I can have it just from lock picking and firearms. Is anaesthesizer worth researching? If you use it on someone does it put that someone asleep and does this somene remember who did it?

6. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Go for Chem & build the Tranquilizer Gun. Or Electricity for the Tesla Gun. The Healing Jacket is good armor for a gunslinger as well.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Tranquilizer gun needs an elephant gun doesn't it? And again, what does it do, puts them to sleep? Do they remember who shot them or can I still be friends with the guys I shot?

8. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

There are two Elephant Guns in the game, & someone once said three.

It knocks them out & lets them live.

I have yet to build one. But if someone is shot from prowl, they can't know who did it, can they?

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Where exactly are those two guns? Oh and do the gunsmith shops ever sell elephant guns?

10. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

One is on the poacher in the poachers camp near the villige with the lizard people

11. Canis

Canis New Member

And another is owned by Franklin Payne.

12. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

13. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

i strongly recommend the tesla gun. it requires all of electricity and the looking glass rifle (also very good). the looking glass rifle can be found on a person in the game or built for 5 points in gunsmith. i strongly recommend building it as it has great th and range. if you are unpatched you will always do excellent damage and fatigue to your enemies.

14. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I like the Tesla gun myself, its especially good against people in plate armor. The problem is it takes four charges a shot and I find charges quite difficult to get compared to bullets.

15. The_Malus_Monkey

The_Malus_Monkey New Member

Hmmmm, so I could get that gun without spending a point!

Get the looking glass rifle, then get schematics and then I got a neato thingy YAY!

16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

you do still need to max electrics for the tesla rod, but you dont need points in gunsmithy. just buy tech manuals

17. The_Malus_Monkey

The_Malus_Monkey New Member

18. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

i have never come across one. the other things you can build from the electrics tree are good too. the chapeau of magnetic inversion, healing jacket, and flow spectrometer are good. chapeau of magnetic increases you DR, flow spectrometer increases your AC, and healing jacket heals you in exchange for charges.

19. Canis

Canis New Member

The chapeau you can get as a quest reward, the healing jacket you can strip from Sebastian, and as for the flow spectrometer.... Well it's just a matter of opinion of course, but my gunslinger looks like an idiot holding a hand cannon and a shield. I refuse to use anything that makes me look like an idiot. It's all about fashion, dah-link.

The charged rings are nice, though. Sebastian can make them for you if you ask politely.

20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

i find charges quite easily. 2 points in chemistry lets you make 50 and inventors usually carry 110.

Our Host!