Adding items

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Tekkus McDwarf, Oct 26, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

Ok, I found out how to add Schreck's Pistol and the levered machine gun to the game simply by adding them too invensource.mes. Along with the pre-existing schematic that DOES work for schreck's I've dumped the Acid Gun code so it now makes a levered machine gun using an elephant gun and a schreck's pistol. Further, I finally remembered how to complie the weapon editor in ant and get it to run, and edited both gun proto's as follows:

Levered Machine Gun -
    6-16 HT/1-3 FT/ hit bonus is -30 / speed is now 50.

Schrecks is -
    3-9 HT / 1-4 FT/ hit bonus is -35 / speed is now 65

stats for both guns otherwise stayed the same. The reasoning behind this is for turn based AND full action play. The volume of fire and the hit rate are key. You use up about the same amount of ammo as you would with a mechanized gun doing the same amount of damage. Misses have been factored into this, as you can gather by the negative to hit bonuses. these are both spray and pray weaponry. I felt that the str min of 12 for the levered was perfect and left it alone. Inertia, bulk, and barrel length account for its slightly higher accuracy than the pistol, but since it is hand cranked, should be comparitively inaccurate. Range of 15 and 10 respectively were left as are. You can email me a request for those edited proto's, I hate posting files to the web.

I have thoroughly tested both updated specs on both guns and the damage per turn / damage over time effects are good and comparable to the mechanized gun. These two are more for in tight work, where the mechanized gun is more of a mechanized rifle and more accurate. I am considering raising the TA% of schreck's higher than the 60% it is currently for greater critical failure chances.

One thing I don't yet remember how to do is create spanking new schematics from scratch that aren't merely edited existing ones. So if someone could throw a suggestion my way for adding new schematics ... and what the art number is for the levered machine gun is, I'd appreciate it. I'm currently just using the mechanized gun art for the schematic. Also, I'd love to be able to make a schematic for the charged axe that Sebastian uses, I've edited it in the weapon editor to match the specs of the Pyro Axe, except its ED instead of FD.

2. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Why not just upgrade Schreck’s multi-barrelled pistol so it's better than its component, the hand cannon?

I'd like to investigate prototypes to "fix" the broken schematics, so after you make them and throw them they open to what they're supposed to be. Unfortunately, from the threads I've read it seems rather difficult.

I think the Maxim gun fix did something with prototypes to modify the inventory codes from dialog so you could give him the three items. I'd like to do that with Lloyd Gurloes, the Shrouded Hills smithy so you give him a fine dagger and dwarf gauntlets and he makes you machined gauntlets. However, even though there's inventory codes for fine daggers and dwarf gauntlet, they must not be generic like pure ore because they wouldn't work in the dialog.

3. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

the way I've got it set now, it dishes out slightly more damage than the hand cannon per turn, and in real time. It just uses about 6x-8x the ammo. It's a hand held autorotating Gatling gun. It burps lead. Occasionally it hits stuff, with the - TH bonus, its fun watching Sebastian chew his own arm off with critical failures at times. I have noticed that characters will choose the weapon with the biggest single punch, regardless of the total damage it will do in one "turn" as compared to the bigger single puncher. He'd rather carry a fine revolver.

Further, Schreck's is an experimental prototype in the game and discovered as such. Naturally, it has some problems. Using it is literally watching money burn, in bullet form. After level 20, getting money is easier. If you have the Mol Hand and Orc Bandit Hacks... money get rediculously easy. This, and the same concept for the levered machine gun help realistically eat away at it. These should not be the best weapons in the game ALL game, but for a limited time, yes. Otherwise, why go gunsmith at all and build a ton of stuff you experiment with once and permanently shelve.... like so many acid guns.

Another thing, I wish someone would tone down the Mol Hand and Bandit hacks a bit... I've seen 3-8x arcane plate drop from a single dark individual, and the dangerous looking man has dropped bellyfulls of steam engines and poison arachnids. The orc bandit leader should be scripted to USE some of the grenades, his followers should be closer to his level, and the loot from the leader should mostly be low end grenades (molotov, flash, stun) and parts for high end grenades. Any of you modders out there thinking of just tacking on these mods to your own... seriously give them some attention. Script the enemy party to mirror the PC's party in numbers and levels by intital combatants or summons. Not just one leader at some ratio to the PC's level with a bunch of lvl 5 followers and 25 summoned post mortem avengers. When the boss is dead, the fight is over. Why would the boss summ on a boatload of crap more powerful than himself on dying? Also, if you kill Bates and have Bounty Hunters chasing you... intially, 1's and 2's should come. But they should learn from getting their butts kicked and start coming in numbers and gear to get the job done.

4. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

If I were making a random Molochean Hand/ Orc Bandit / Animal enhancer, I'd have it based on the number in your group. That way if there are 5 of you, 1-3 guys wouldn't show up and say they're going to kill you. They'd only come when they had overwhelming force, so as a result you'd be attacked less often when with a large group. I haven't used animal scent - supposedly it reduces your chance of being attacked by animals. CarArcanum uses more creatures but I can't stand the fact they come back as super-undead, tougher than they were when living!

Why they stop to chat anyway is beyond me. It should be travel-travel-travel - BANG, you've been ambushed! I guess that's to give you a chance to show that you're half-orc or to persuade the hands to go away.

Our Host!