Accents - Hot or Not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milo, Sep 7, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Milo

Milo New Member

What accents do you find attractive? On the other side of the coin, which ones do you find unattractive? How about languages - even those you don't understand?

For women, I think English accents are sexy. On the flip side, Aussie accents are not.

For guys, Scottish and Irish accents sound cool. Scottish just because of the Sean Connery, gay for, factor. Irish because it has this nice sounding lyrical quality to it.

I also like the sound of spoken Japanese, even though I don't understand it. Toshiro Mifune growling out commands to his soldiers in those old Kurosawa movies just sounds rad to me.

2. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I think german and yugoslavian are definate turn offs. I took french, so that kind of ruined that language for me. It stops being sexy when you remember the conjugates of the verbs, and how you only pronounce half the letters, etc.

I have to agree with the english thing though, British chicks have got it going on man! Spanish accents are nice too, much love to my latina friends.

3. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Depends, really. If it's some gorgeous guy with a hot accent, everything is great. Although, hot guys with no accents is great too. (-cough-C.J.-cough-) Irish and Scottish accents are cool. Some British accents are good on guys. (Anyone here watch Red Cap? Gay for Roper.... no wait, I guess that makes me straight.)

On the flipside, the Muryland accent is obnoxious, along with the Boston one. I'm not big into ebonics or ganstaing or whatever. Hmm... that's all I can think of now. I think it depends on the person... having a cute accent can make you cuter. Having an obnoxious accent can make you less cute. Then again, some guys would be less cute with any sort of accent... hmmm.....

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Milo, when have you heard a genuine Aussie accent? Unless, of course, you watch Aussie TV shows, in which case, okay.

I'm turned off by American accents from the South i.e. Texas and all them places. I don't like that drawl at all. Also don't like Russian or Italian ones, male or female.

I find Kiwi and South African accents funny. British chicks (non-cockney) accents are also pretty cool. Scottish and Irish are also good, don't know how much I like them on a woman though - haven't heard enough wimmin with one talking to establish an opinion.

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

What do people think of New York accents?

6. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Latin girls are hot, so are their accents. I could listen to that chick on the introductory Directv spanish channel, Directv Para Todos all day long. All day long.

I don't really think that British accents on women are sexy. I mean, I think British women are sexy, but I am dead neutral as to their accent. It neither turns me on nor off.

As for men, the coolest accents have to be Australian and Scottish. No wait, and Irish too. Much for the same reasons as Milo. The reason I listed Aussie accents is cause of the "coolest freakin' guy in the world"™, aka Mick "Crocodile" Dundee. I like Scottish accents because of how they put an upward emphasis on the end of their sentences. Scottish and Irish accents make me want to listen to bagpipes and go running thru beautiful, bounding, green covered hills. Not at all unlike Julie Andrews ala The Sound of Music.

Also, Pierce Brosnan is a sexy muther fucker with that accent. "Bond, James Bond" Makes my penis wave at the screen.

Asian accents are a turn off, both women and men.

French accents are cool, if she doesn't smoke, shaves and has curves. (All of which few French chicks have)

Retard out.

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Thanks for the mental image of you waving your penis at Pierce Brosnan Retard :-? :???: :puke:

I have to go shower now. :/ :???:

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

personally i think the southern accent thing depends on the accent, i mean, i oculd understand how someone who'd never been there, or had only been there briefly could think it sounds silly, but on the right girl it sounds pretty cute. i dont really have any experience with aussie chicks, but english and irish, and scottish sounds cool, as for Wales, Wales is to the UK as The Deep South is to th U.S. sounds ok on some, but with other people it sounds like their from another planet.

and i think we can all agree a nice japanese girl can be really hot, but in California a lot of asians i met turned out to be big fucking racist snobs. a lot of their parents wont let them date non-asian guys, and a couple ass holes i me seemed to think asians are the master race. but thats just first and second generation US citizens, around the third generation it seems to clear up. i'm not trying to sound biased here though, i have a ton of asian friends, but i could never get any asian dates, ever. it sucked, and not in a good way.

does anyone think latina's are hot? i dated a couple pretty spanish girls in CA, but they didnt really have thick accents at all. i think that can be a big turn off though. especially the really ghetto-ified ones that tattoo their eyebrows on and have way to much fucking lip liner. its like kabooki theater from hell with those chicks.

9. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

hmm... I can't stand the Southern Accent, it sounds bad... and I've been told I've got a Brit accent, which I don't understand, since I'm a pure-bred American. Accents aren't something I pay much attention to when I look at someone... for say: I'm not going to shy away from a girl because she's got a strong scottish accent, but I'm not gonna go for a latina purely because of thier accent... somethings do sound better than others... but thats not the first thing on my mind when I look at a chick...

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, I for one think Irish/Scottish accents sound damn cool. This is why I regularly listen to songs like "Whiskey in the Jar" and "Sally McLennane" by the Pogues...

As for attractive accents... brittish women has already been said, but I feel I must agree on that. Finnish and danish women can sound damn hot too. And, goddamit, girls from Skåne*... they are just ultra-hot :thumbup:

The worst accent? Uhm, ever heard an american try to speak Swedish? It's torture! :dead:

*(a province in southern Sweden, duh!)

11. Silvio-Arjunza

my grandparents are Americans and they speak Swedish! though they also do a lot of world travelling... and my grandpa was raised in Norway...

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Really? So you're like 1/4 Norwegian eh? Det var dejligt å høre :)

Just for my curiosity - did your grandfather move to U.S to avoid the war? Norway was occupied by the Nazi's you know...

Oh, and I suppose me speaking english could be considered even worse torture. I'm really only good at writing english... it just sounds retarded when I try to speak it. :roll:

13. Flink

Flink New Member

Heh, Right with ya Dark Elf. One doesn't really practice speaking english during every day life. I remember when I went to Australia about 5 years ago with some friends. They knew some Australians and we all got together for dinner. Man, it was tough to find the words at least at first. After a few hours and some booze that all passed though. In the end I even started imitating their Ausse accents. :)

I think russian can be quite sexy. But it really depends on the person. If you picture some woman looking like a shaved Josef Stalin, then sure that ain't sexy. :p

Scottish or Irish on a girl can be very attractive. Kind of exotic and wild. Like Annah in Planescape: Torment. (Yes, I had to be the first person to make a game reference in this thread. I'm such a nerd.)

14. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

When I went back to college in the early '80s I fell for a professor, a few years younger than I, who had been raised in Atlanta & educated at Harvard. The fact that she was a genius & beautiful helped, but that accent was purely to die for.

Now Spanish is truly the loving tounge, and any Spanish accent is at least a tad musical, even Pureto Rican Spanish, but the oldest woman I ever got a crush on was another prof from that return to college era, who spoke perfect Castilian Spanish. Of course between the fadeing away of my Spanish & the Castilian lisp, I could barely understand one word in five but who (drool) cared?

Did I ever mention that I have a tendency to flip for brains? A friend once asked me "Why are you so set on brains? You don't fuck them between the ears." "No," I replied, "but then you don't talk to them in the morning."

15. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

wow, i HATE that castillian lisp, its so exagerated. i guess people really have varying tastes on this. i just think the castillian lisp sounds so forced and pretentious, i cant really get past that part of it...

Now french chicks are hot, and i met an Austrian chick that came over on a foreign exchange program, and she was :thumbup: HOT [/hot] :thumbup: the accent was weird but it was pretty sexy too. it was a shame she was only ther for 2 weeks.

16. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Personally I like English accenct for its musical flow of words. As for the accent which turns me off - beats me, never really heard one that truly bothered me.

17. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Not to generalizeº, but the only french 'chick' I ever knew was pretty gross. She didn't shave her armpits and she was a chain smoker. She was kinda nice though. But the hairy-armpit-having, chain-smokin', french-speakin'¹ stuff was a turn off. And I mean that in a platonic way.

º Generalization
    ¹ I don't mind the French speaking, I even took French for awhile. I just needed a third thing for her to do. All makes sense, at least in my mind.

18. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Not even latin though, South American accents! OMG what is with SA women! There are 3 Brazilian chicks at my school, and holy shit, the way they talk, and everything.

But as to the enormous vote for British accents, I would assume that the little island wins the hottest accent award.

But no one has touched on the NYC accent! Come on gals, you know you love that New york style, with our lack of works. FYI, if someone says 'jeet' to you in NY it means Did you Eat, and 'sup' means whats up.

EDIT: Happy 700 snowy

19. Silvio-Arjunza

Blinky: I hate the New York accent... it's ugly and fast, there's no art of melody to it... it makes you sound like you have to go really bad, and need to do everything FAST so you can get there and go.

Dark: I'm 1/4th Norwiegn, 1/2 Irish, and 1/4 Welsh, you know what that means? I'm good at speaking, I'm hard headed and stubborn, and I've got a sick sense of humor. which is, pretty much the perfect combo... because I'm very calm... pissing me off is hard, but once you've done it you better run... :lol: :D :lol:

20. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Aw well, but at least my rugged good looks and charm make up for it right :) 8) :D :razz:

I'm 1/4 italian, 1/8 spanish, 3/8 english, and 1/4 french. Put them together and somehow I look polish :-? :???: :-?

Our Host!