A new level of World Ed screwups!!!

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by PoEHeavyBlade, Mar 25, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you think I'm crazy?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Up Yours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PoEHeavyBlade

PoEHeavyBlade New Member

It really is something. I have a mod - currently with 4 maps including Shop Map. Now on the starting map (5002 Illuminiara), I have 5 special females. They each have their own internal identification, unknown and known description. This works. You can also talk to them. This doesn't work for shit. Each has a script attached to their dialog attachment point, starting from 00100 and going up.

Why? because before I started at 00001 and went up and got a shocking result: 00001 went off at certain points when crossing the map (and right when you start) dispite only being attached to the dialog point for an NPC. I have concluded 00001 is the source of all evil.

Each script is pitifully simple and goes as follows:

00100ScriptNameHere:
    dialog 00100
    return and SKIP default

that is the script.
    it is accompanied by a long and repeatedly checked over dialog (more then 42 lines full of working conditions and script calls - I removed these to try and get the damn thing to work but with no avail).

The mod will compile.
    Hell the mod will even run.
    But it gives me the following loving signs everytime I try to test it:
    black screen with the Loading... message on it.
    At first I thought this was strange. It wasn't still loading because I have color vibrance on - and I could clearly make out all the GUI panels of the main game. I moved the mouse. The cursor moved. I changed the brightness. I saw the most puke-inducing of sights, a seizure filled plythora of grass tiles like you usually see in clipping errors.

I started a new module and moved the dialog (more then 40 lines for each person!) and scripts across. Now it loaded.

I tried to talk to the NPC.
    The god damn game crashed.

I made a new NPC with a new script calling the same tried and true (it was definitely working before) dialog file.

I tried to talk to the NPC.
    The NPC said nothing and the game provided me with a dialog choice.
    The choices were:
    nothing, nothing, or nothing.
    None of these were selectable.

By the time I was screaming in fury and worrying if the bulging vein in my forehead was actually going to burst, I realized that, er... well... fuck it. I haven't realized anything yet. That's why I'm coming to this forum to ask for help.

Thanks for your time,
    I hope you enjoyed my life's story (lol)
    -PoEHeavyBlade

2. darkllama

darkllama New Member

well, MR. PoEHeavyBlade, i have thouroughly enjoyed the story of your life (or absence thereof) and now i feel compassion for you and i need to more deeply understand your problem.

1. did you check what number you put under 'dialog' when you edited the character?

2. Did it actually say 'nothing' or was it blank?

3. Are all of your files properly named?

4. Do you use notepad or an editor?

5. This is crucial, but annoying: do you have every single beacket in it's rightful place and everything?

with this information, i might be able to help you.

good luck andhave a nice day.

3. Shadowbird

Shadowbird New Member

Hmm... I don't know about the rest, but this cought my eye:

00100ScriptNameHere:
    dialog 00100
    return and SKIP default

Well, if 00100 is an integer, then it shouldn't mean anything, but have you tried to put "dialog 100" instead? if the script editor actually shows up the 00100 like that, it could be a string or other type of variable, not integer (number). check the script and make sure that the number you put after "dialog" is really a "number" (from the drop-down list in the SockMonkey).

4. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

I think Shadowbird might be onto something there because most of the dialog commands that I have seen in a lot of rooting through the original scripts and dialogs have never had leading zeros. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a dialog that wasn't simply numbered 1, 2, 3, ... or 1, 10, 20, ..., etc.

As for how you are editing your dialogs and scripts, if you aren't using Zammy's Dialog Editor and DJ_Unique's Script Editor, then IMO you are doing a lot of extra work, expecially with dialogs. Both of these utilities save you all of the headaches of housekeeping chores like keeping track of brackets and let you concentrate on writing the dialog or script itself. And both can be downloaded right here at TA in the Mooding Tools section. http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/dloa ... &cat_id=13
    Zammy's Dialog Editor even has a function that will let you renumber the lines in your dialog, so you can quickly test that to see if it is the root of the problem you are having. :)

Our Host!