A neat little catch 22

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Sep 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Right, I stole this from Glory back at Aozos, so don't come blame me for trying to take credit for digging it up myself.

Anyway, there's a little news article you'd like to read.

And this is was what Glory wrote about it, it's quite interesting really:

"Fidel Castro has offered aid to America in the form of much needed doctors and medical care. A nice offer, but what will America do?

Everybody in the world is surely aware of the bad blood between Cuba and America, which includes trade embargos. So what do the American government do?

Secnario one:- They accept the aid. But after that, how can you refuse to trade with somebody who saved the lives of millions of your citizens? Your citziens wont like that, and neither will your press.

Scenario two:- They refuse the aid. This means trade embargos can stay hwere they are. But.. how can you justify to people who need medical attention that you are refusing medical aid?

This is a catch 22. What do you think they will do?"

Yeah... what will they do?

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

They won't do, they'll just ignore it.

3. Dark Elf

Media:
    And that would be tantamount to Scenario two, wouldn't it?

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Yes, but later on they'll deny such an pffer ecer existed.

5. Canis

Canis New Member

In diplomatic terms ignoring an offer isn't the same as rejecting it. Rejecting an offer bestows a weight to the proposal and a status to the nation offering that ignoring does not.

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    Perhaps, but that still doesn't change the fact that the press would be hounding them. Denying the whole thing would cause some rather livid headlines, or so I believe.

7. Canis

Canis New Member

Nobody is going to deny the offer was ever made. This isn't 1984. We're just going to ignore Cuba like always and get on with it.

8. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Or we might just accept the aid and keep the embargos in place. That sounds like the American way to me. Oh, and I really don't think the citizens would care one way or the other. After all, we are Americans.

EDIT- fixed typo

9. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Now I've made 36 screenshots of the article to make it harder for them to deny it, I think I'll hide them all over my computer too.

10. Canis

Canis New Member

Not going to happen. We don't need it, we don't want it, and you know it was an empty and mocking offer in the first place.

Cuba is a nonissue.

11. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Heh, wow, mathboy said something funny.... How long have I been gone?

I don't believe it's a mocking offer, at least not entirely. There is some rather pretentious sentiments, Castro's quote basically saying he's in a more powerful situation than the US at the moment, which is clearly not the case. But, at the same time, there are people starving. The cold war is over, and we have relations with China, another Communist state. What's the problem?

12. Notharah

Notharah New Member

well we can safely assume that the majority of the common american citizens will be easily swayed by the means of media to alter their perception on the whole matter a short-reasonable amount of time after the american government chooses option 2 :)

those that will speak up will in return be overwhelmed by the majority of the common folks who simply stop caring over time :p

Sound stupid? it is... but it's the truth no matter what ;)

I choose the easier path yet... I already don't care in advance so I don't have to listen to the media at all anymore :p :p ( < fact)

13. Canis

Canis New Member

You can't think it was a serious offer. Castro and Hugo Chávez are laughing their asses off.

China isn't a communist state: it's a technocracy that'd like nothing more than to continue ruining the American economy with our help. Saying we should have relations with one crappy state because we already have relations with an even crappier state isn't very convincing.

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I'm just saying we have no reason to be at odds with Castro and Cuba. It serves no purpose, and I think, maybe a little naively I'll give you, that, whether or not it is entirely heartfelt or not, if the US took Cuba up on its offer it could be a path to a more diplomatic relationship.

There are many ways to accept aid without demeaning yourself, or at least forcing the other side to make it clearly known they wish you to demean yourself. If they do that then you know for certain it was all a ruse and no one can say you didn't at least entertain bettering the relationship.

15. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Cuban Doctors | Cuban Medical Equipment

They'll say thanks but no thanks with a line like "We have the required facilities and latest equipment etc.. to take care of anyone who needs aid". IE: It'll be sold as: This is America, we don't need your help. You dumb fuck.

16. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

What is also very interesting is this little thing I stole from Welsh at NMA:

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Such is the state of the world I suppose...

Our Host!