a little off subject... about Planescape Torment... help ple

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kmer2495, Nov 12, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. kmer2495

kmer2495 New Member

I realize that this is a board about Arcanum (and I REALLY enjoy the game... alot), but I was having a little difficulty with an older game - Torment.

I had played this cool game a little before starting Arcanum, and am interested in getting back into it it some. Problem is, I can't get into it... LITERALLY.

I managed to get it installed again, and can even get to the Character Generation Screen, but that is about ALL I can do. I get a the following error message:

Microsoft visual C++ Runtime Error
    Runtime Error
    Program: E:Black Isle...
    abnormal program termination

What is all that about? I have tried un-installing, and then re-installing... and even went and downloaded the patch again and installed it again as well. Keep getting that goffy error.

Can someone PLEASE help. I tried to get onto a forum about Planescape Torment, but they all seem to be dated and closed. So I thought that I would try here, seeing as how I noticed that SEVERAL of you guys and girls had played the game before.

Oh, did I mention that I REALLY enjoy playing Arcanum? Fantastic game!!!!

2. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Don't worry, you're not missing anything. Torment sucks and not even worth trying. And if you need help go to Torment boards... though I'd just throw the cd away.

3. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

I dunno what's causing the error, but I have to disagree with Ioo - Torment is by far the best CRPG ever made. It's the only one that even comes close to the depth of story that you can get sitting around the table with an RPG group.

Alex

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I have to disagree with you Alexandra. I think Arcanum is the best CRPG ever made - or at least better than Planetscape Torment. Then again, I've never played Torment, but my opinion is still valid...

As to what's causing the error, I think it has to do with a problem in C++. Do you have it installed on your computer? It might be causing conflicts with the version that the game uses, if you're version is more recent. Only thing I can think of...

5. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Btw whats C in CRPG stand for? I think I knew, but I forgot... cake maybe???

I'mma disagree with both of you, fallouts are the greatest... arcanum's after them... torment has to be at the end of the list. long, long list.

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

C stands for Character I believe...could be wrong though...

7. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

C stnads for computer :razz:
    Planescape: ruled!! yes it was a masterpiece.
    I would say it was the best, like fallout but.. gets close.
    Arcanum: If not for the bugs I would actually recommend this game to people.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Why do you keep on going on about the bugs? There aren't that many!!! You all exaggerate...

9. Vovka100

Vovka100 Member

planescape is by far the greatest game ever made and the story is so damn good

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

If you would have visited the forum and read as much as I did, staring from when it was released, you would have a whole new words for something that has alot of bugs the new word is arcanum. All the posters (like al) that have been here alot know what the game is like

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hey, I've been here a lot...I just didn't get serious about posting my opinion until recently :smile:.

I will repeat myself again - there aren't as many bugs in Arcanum as you make it out to be. I've had less than 5 random crashes. No corrupted save games. That's it...

Therefore, I can only assume that the reason for all these "bugs" is the configuration and current condition of your computer. It isn't as much the games fault as it is your computer's.

That being said, I feel sorry for you that you've had such a "bug-ridden" experience of Arcanum :smile:.

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

yo, I did not have problems with arcanum untill I formated my hdd and then installed the system from scratch. now there is no better condition for the pc to be in just after the installation took place. and I also read hundreds of posts about bugs even worser than mine. REALLY.

13. Calis

Calis Member

1. Ioo is an idiot, Torment is a masterpiece.

2. This problem is sometimes fixed by uninstalling, deleting ALL leftover files in your Torment dir, and reinstalling. If you still need the saves, back them up.

Oh, and I run(ran) a Torment fansite if you need help with the game:
    http://torment.db-forge.com

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

PH34R M3 <--- what does that mean?

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

It's what's called "leet speak". Basically, letters are replaced by similar looking alpha-numeric characters...

For try-hards, wannabes and those making a mockery of others who use it only...

16. Wildfire

Wildfire New Member

If you still haven't solved the problem, try asking on the PST boards here. They should be able to solve your problem :smile:

17. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Let me clarify what I said.

I think for overall gameplay it goes: Arcanum, Fallouts, then all Black Isle's D&D games.

However, for storyline, it's clearly Torment. Torment does some phenominal things. First, it tells a good story much better than any of the other games.

Second, the story is *not* "PC saves the world", which is the typical storyline in a CRPG. Torment's storyline ultimately is "PC saves PC."

Thrird, the major NPCs in Torment - because there are so few of them are amazingly detailed.

Lastly, almost every fight in the game matters to the story - there are not many random encounters, or waste of time fights.

Lastly, just one comment - I don't see how one can say game A is better than game B, until you play both :smile:

Alex

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

It's a simple matter of logic. A person is innocent until proven guilty aren't they? That's one sided.

Because I've played Arcanum, but haven't played Torment, from my point of view, Arcanum must be superior. From someone who hasn't played Arcanum but has played Torment, the reverse is true. Sounds weird I know, but think about it.

19. Ioo

Ioo New Member

You said it!

20. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I would say PlaneScape was like Anime for me, It totally addicted me. Too bad there are was no supplements like for BG or IWD or even a sequel.

Our Host!