A few questions about original.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoon, Dec 7, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I don't have original right now (yeah flame me, see if I care) however despite all the bugs I think Troika deserves money for this game thus I'd like to buy original. I actually bought one (English and Polish version in the box) yesterday but had to return it because of a scratched CD. I noticed a few things about it however and I have a few questions to people who bought originals:

1. The game said it's version April 1.0.6.4 (txt files Sierra update program) however I learned earlier in this board that it should be 1.0.6.6 actually because after ISO version was available Troika tweaked Arcanum and it's no longer 1.0.6.4. Is it OK that the game shows this "old" version or should it show 1.0.6.6? I didn't manage to get the version "inside" the game even though I pressed "V" button in every possible screen.

2. The manual still has bugs like Expert Persuasion adding 2 followers instead of 1. Does it mean that this manual released in Poland wasn't updated? What is it like in your case?

3. At what price can I purchase Arcanum? The version distributed in Poland costs around 25$ I'd like it to be shipped with a manual, not something like Arcanum in DVD casing and that's all.

2. Milo

Milo New Member

1)I never knew about a version 1.0.6.6. I bought the full retail version here in the US and it was 1.0.6.4. I had no trouble with patching it all the way up to it's current state, 1.0.7.4. I could never figure out the "Press 'v' to get the version number" thing either.

2)I can't find my manual at the moment. I wouldn't worry about it anyway, since the manual isn't all that helpful. It's ok to read, but the information is hard to find.

3)I got my copy for $35 at Fry's. That was a promotional deal, though, and I think it went back up to full price a few days later. I ran "Arcanum" through Price Watch, and the cheapest I could find it online was $33 not including S&H. Not sure if they'd ship it to Poland anyway.

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

2) My manual (bought in UK in August) also has that 2 follower bonus bug. Manuals do not tend to get reprinted specifically to correct such errors. Those types of things are normally dealt with in the readme file.

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, there's a fair few errors in the manual, especially with the names of items and spells. They are called "Manual Errata" because developers like to think that using that phrase makes them look smarter. The Fallout manuals had huge long lists of "manual errata's".

5. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Thanks for answers,

I'm going to buy it tomorrow or perhaps even today if I find some time to check all the CDs on the spot (I had some troubles returning the copy I bought earlier because they don't take games back).

Anyway I wanted to say that this Polish version seems to be quite a good deal in Arcanum's case. For that 25$ (I'd still would like it to be 15$ rather - it's Poland after all, not US) you get English version, another CD which translates it to Polish (still, I prefer playing in English) and an audio CD with music from Arcanum. Plus the instruction and a little 20 page long (or short rather) and weak story.

Our Host!