A dilemma of sorts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jazintha Piper, Jun 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

She?
    Well that's odd, when I got a tarot reading, the card that was supposed to represent how I see myself was a woman's card.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

All but the last sentence was serious.

3. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

That shit's real! I'm the King of Hearts, like! That's why people find me so charming!

4. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

If the reader told you "Hmm, this is a woman's card", they are stupid. I'm a novice at tarot reading myself, and things like your Queens and High Priestesses and the like represent stereotypically 'feminine' characteristics, but are not actually relegated to being drawn by one gender or the other (except by sociology, I guess). They sometimes represent actual gender when related to people in your life, however.

5. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

You guys make me lol :D

My mentor has since replied, and she's outlined the proper channels etc. If I feel comfortable with it, I'm to write the letter, then have three copies made - one to HOD, one to Faran's mum, one to his file.

I'll probably need a little help with the wording, guys, but I've got a load of marking to do. I'll post a draft here when it's ready.

Zanza: You know that episode in American Dad where Steve sees God's jublies? yah. That's what'll happen to you when you see mine. Word.

Edit: I dare not post the details on FB, but I posted what I said to Faran when I finally got my brain together (the short-and-sharp bit). It's causing a bit of contraversy there, but I thought you might like to see. Tone of voice: loud, brash and sarcastic.

"No, I ain't taking a 'chill pill', because this kind of teenaged tomfoolery has got to stop. Every single time, I have to stop teaching this class because of you, you inconsiderate child. Grow up and be a man, or you're going to end up face-down in the gutter wondering why your head got kicked in. Oh, I'm sorry, you're embarressed now? Tough luck, ickle little Faran, that's what you get for being a tool."

Subsequent result: no more comments for the rest of the lesson, and students (other than his friends) avoiding him.

Today, though, he acted out again, in very much the same way. I think Wendy is sheltering me from what he actually said, but I have a funny feeling it had to do with me. Again.

PS: Don't get me started on Tarot, loveys.

6. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

From education to tarot, this is why I love this forum.

[nerd]My favorite tarot card is THE WORLD! *time stops*[/nerd]

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

8. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Didn't you read her introductory post? She's "half-dead!"
    This confession was long overdue.
    No, you're just a jar.

Even at risk of sounding like wayne-scales I feel the need to point out the absurdity of the "Faran exhibits A so he will end up B-down in a C with his D kicked in" statement. "A" does not guarantee the occurrence of B, C, or D just as discouraging A won't necessarily prevent B, C, or D. I do not doubt that as his educator (and even as a decent person outside of being his educator) you are concerned about the person into whom he will develop, but I think it would be best to limit the scope of the issue to the scope of the issue. Faran's behavior is inappropriate for the classroom and needs to be discouraged. I suggest making the suffering for his behavior greater than the reward the attention of his peers represents.

I 'm sorry that when Faran behaves provocatively that it upsets and aggravates you.

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

So its only half as bad?

10. wayne-scales

I hid it rather well, wouldn't you say?

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Was just in EB a moment ago when I found myself in a dilemma of sorts. I was looking for Planescape Torment when I saw these two teenagers browsing the PC section. One of the teens picks up Borderlands and asks what its like. The other one says "Basically CoD but played like WoW with shit graphics." I found myself in a dilemma, would I inform them of their stupidity, harness the anger I was feeling or simply punch one of them in the head?

I'll let you guess what happened next.

12. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

You bought a copy of Planescape: Torment?

13. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

You used Blood Buff and Potence and ripped their heads off?

14. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I always take the role of a Malkavian in those situations and end up talking to traffic lights.

15. Charonte

Charonte Member

As a technician for a couple of private schools, I see this sort of shit every day. Each time it amazes me how patient and well-mannered the teachers remain even when a student is basically taking the piss and causing havoc in their classroom.

There have been instances, at both primary and high schools I'll add, where I've had a couple of comments from snarky little kids and the solution has always been to get right up in their face, be as blunt and as terse as possible and just to ask what their fucking problem was. No need to dress it up, but of course you don't want to go far enough to the point where the parent gets involved, atleast when your job is actually important to you.

Their response is usually a mix of shock and fear, and if you keep staring them down but not saying a word they'll usually get the message. Apart from that one time that 6yo in a wheelchair started crying sob stories before rolling out the door (partially due to my near-two-chin neckbeard, I'm sure) but I guess you can't win them all.

Also, don't worry about your students will turn into. >70% of them will only be failures anyway. And that's before the end of highschool.

16. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

You made a 6-yo cripple cry? Charonte, you're my hero. Even I haven't pulled that kinda stuff before, even though it's right up my alley.

And that's why I can't get a job involving taking care of kids, or teaching them something.

17. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I'm quite sure I wouldn't want you to get started on a rant about something you don't really understand the purpose of.

18. wayne-scales

What is its purpose?

19. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

20. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

The origins of Tarot is similar to the origins of the modern deck of playing cards, consisting of suits of fourteen cards and 21 trump cards. The number of suits and their names depends on the history and country of origin.

Playing cards were one of the easiest ways of transporting games for gambling, second only to dice (and other sticks, cubes, whatever, that showed a particular symbol facing uppermost when thrown or spun). Most of the games that relied on chance - cards and dice being just two - were also an easy way of making money from so-called 'divination'.

To help my shyness, I learned magician's and divination patter to interpret Tarot decks for anybody. "True" diviners used both suit and trump cards, and even interpret them depending on which way they face the client. The suit cards can be used like a normal deck of playing cards, just with large numbers; the trump cards mostly showed off artwork.

There's also a lovely book by Piers Anthony, surrounding the five suit deck and the trump cards in a science-fiction setting. I highly recommend it.

Our Host!