A Bit More Trolling of an Anti-US Flavour

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sheriff Fatman, Sep 28, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

There is something that has been bothering me for about a week or two. HoL is possibly the only place I would care to discuss it (which says a lot about the pitiable nature of my life ;) ) but I guess it's likely to lead ot raised tempers.

A while back I found out that the USA is responsible for 25% of greenhouse gas polution and yet they refuse to sign up for any ecological targets that the international summit tried to set.

Whenever we talk about Iraq, you hear a lot of Americans say stuff like "if it wasn't for us saving your arses, the world would be in deep shit," but when it comes down to weighing up the planetary ecology vs US economical interests, suddenly the world can go jump.

I'd be interested in hearing how US citizens perceive this situation.

2. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Global warming is a crock of shit. I'm not saying it's not happening, but the actual negative effect on the environment is negligable. Also, this planet historically goes through warming and cooling periods. Ever heard of the Ice Age?

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time in the history of the planet during which 6 billion people have been churning out artificial pollutants into the atmosphere?

The greenhouse effect is now widely accepted as real by ecologists. A clue for you is that the other countries are spending billions trying to meet targets they accepted at the summits where the US refused to sign up. You think the leaders of those countries, who are under enormous pressure to balance the books of their economies, would spend that kind of money without some convincing evidence?

In case you've forgotten, the war in Iraq was thought over a theoretical threat.

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Haven't you heard? God created America to rule the world, and then God created the rest of the world, to be ruled by america, and to subsidize its policies with blood and money.

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

So that means sweatshops are the work of God? YES, NOW I CAN COME OUT WITH MY LINE OF SNEAKERS!!!!!

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

True, but it typically takes fucking ages for those sorts of weather changes to occur, not a few decades.

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Deforestation and urban sprawl are both myths too right Sigurd?

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I like how the stereotypical standpoint has gone from "global warming doesn't exist" to "sure, global warming exists, but its not really that bad is it? I think it was too cold to begin with, turning up the heat isn't going to turn the living room into a frozen block of ice, is it?"

People make me laugh.

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Wait.... am I agreeing with you?

FUCK THIS, SCREW THE ATSPHERE WOOT3 UBERGAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Jesus christ don't even get me started. It makes me so angry I want to explode. People are all "OMG FIGHT TERRISM" while driving their faggot Hummers and buying bajillion gallons of gas - they're the ones supporting and giving money to the people they consider themselves against.

How about fishing? People won't be happy until every single fish has been killed. Whaling? Eating sharks? Same thing. People disgust me. I'm not trying to be like "OMG YOU OPPRESSOR DOWN WITH THE CARROT OPPRESSORS" but people need to take more responsiblity in keeping this planet beautiful and clean. It's not some one else's job - it's yours.

WOOT 900 posts!

11. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

The earth is warming up too quickly for liveing thing to aget use to the change. First some america complain how can we have global warming when we have very cold weather. The answer is simple when the climate change you get exemter weather also.

It isnot the america people but our far right wing neocom government than president we have. Short sight bussien who donot want to spend the small sum of money now to combat global warming. The longer it take America to recognite this and do something about it the more it will cost in money. Some america like my brother say eptying volame give off more greenhouse gases, it might be true but do volame blow up very hour of the day.

12. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Yeah, Charles, we saw Day After Tomorrow, too.

Bullshit, Charles. Bullshit. I could say the same about you crazy Islamic terrorists. After all, ya'll create explosions, and crash planes into World Trade Centers. You got any idea what that little fireball did to the atmosphere? You heard about the asbestos lawsuits? Not to mention that an Islamic's idea of a bonfire weinie roast is torching an oil derrick. Ever seen the black clouds pouring offa one of those babies?

Stuff the rhetoric, Charles. Quit listening to Louis Farakhan, and cancel your next Islamic Jihad Against the American Pig Infidels meeting.

As to Sheriff's question, I'm with Jar. I've always said, "follow the money". I think that is the primary driving force in most laws regarding global warming. I don't believe that humans are screwing up the world nearly as bad as we're told by the BIASED, APOLOGETIC, HATE-AMERICA-FIRST LIBERAL LEFT WING MEDIA (for Charles).

I'm not saying there is not a problem. Snowmane mentioned whaling. I'm sickened by the state of affairs there. As an outdoorsman, I am sensitive to environmental issues. I've been ridiculed before because I do hunt, and fish, and people here have said, "How can I kill and then claim to care about the environment?" but I'm not getting into that. Also, I don't care to get into the American bashing initiated firstly here. I don't know all the ins and outs of this international summit, so I can't respond. I will say, I trust in our leadership.

Go ahead. Bash away.

13. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

First of all, nice way to interject terrorism into a debate about the environment. Both of you, trees are fucking trees, not suicide bombers. Keep your issues straight.

Charles has a point about our current administration, but the far right neocon is completely unrelated. Our government is run by businessmen at the moment. And if cutting down a tree is going to make them a few bucks, then they feel no desire to resist cutting away.

Our country, and the world in general is focused on the completely wrong areas of curtailing pollution. Oil causes vast amounts of pollution, however it is used. Instead of worrying about carpools etc., we need alternative energy sources. Solar energy, wind energy, more hydro energy. That will cut our dependence on oil, and let us move away from using things that pollute our air, instead of just deciding how to use things that pollute our air.

Alaska. It's the biggest red herring ever. Alaska is twice the size of Texas, a little development is not going to destroy it's "fragile" ecosystem, which just so happens to be one of the most resilient and adaptable in the world. A few extra buildings won't break Alaska's beauty. What is in danger of breaking is the oft ignored rest of the country. The Louisiana bayous shrink daily as saltwater kills the vegetation. Canals around new Orleans have resulted in a catastrophic increase in erosion, which will one day annihilate the entire ecosystem, and set the old city and the capital under a few fathoms of the gulf.

The Everglades are shrinking. Urban sprawl is carving up the less developed areas of our central country like a steak knife. The redwoods are mysteriously starting to die off. Acid rain is polluting freshwater ponds from Seattle to Maine. THESE are the issues that we need to be concerned with, not if 12 huts and a relay satellite are going to ruin the Great American Icebox.

Overfishing, as snowie said, is another problem, and in a more general sense, overhunting of many animals. You need food? Fine. You like the taste of deer? Ok. You think it's ok to hop in a jeep and do a few drive by shootings of endangered species? That's unacceptable, but that's what's happening world-wide, all to often. Fishing companies drop acrewide nets and just run sweeps over miles of ocean. Four hours later they pull up the nets, after anything they accidently caught has expired. Then all those dolphins, and seals, and small whales that get caught and drowned and dumped. No one would eat whale meat. But ya know what? I doubt the whale takes much solace in that.

Deforestation. Water pollution. The effects of transplanted animals, like african killer bees, etc. Those are the real problems that face the environmental world. Not your precise fuel economy for your pick-up, or whether haliburton opens a new way station in that freezer we call a state.

14. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I completely agree with Blinky's post. Every word.

15. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

You read every word? You need a hobby.... So do I....

16. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I also agree.

Though I'm still opposed to cars. Imagine the public transportation system the government could have provided for the retail price of every car purchased in America since 1999 or so.

17. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

18. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Well, at least the way we've implemented them in American society. They're not exactly the ideal form of transport for a single person ce you consider all the pros and cons, and alternatives.

19. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

Mother nature does these change over a peroid of than few hundreds year to than thousand years. Than huge metoride hiting earth 65 million year ago kill 90 % of the liveing animal and planet life in a matter of afew months, than a rapid change in earth climate cause by the metoride impart it was over 10 miles in diameter.

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'm also throwing my hat in with Snow and Blinky, but then again, my hat's always been there. I may love my meat, but I don't eat endangered species or anything. Beef and lamb with a bit of turkey is just fine by me.

Our Host!