2nd ToEE patch is on its way

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, Apr 9, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Accoring to Steve Moret in a <a href="http://www.troikachronicles.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9">recent interview</a> with the <a href="http://www.troikachronicles.com/">Troika Chronicles</a>, the 2nd Temple of Elemental Evil patch is about two or so weeks away.
    <blockquote><b>Q. </b><i>What is the current status of the second patch? Have you already started testing the patch?</i>
    <b>A. </b>We're on our 8th beta revision right now and are kinda getting happy with how it's turning out. There is still about another weeks worth of work that needs to be done.

<b>Q. </b><i>What bugs have been fixed in the second patch and are there somethings you want to fix in future patches?</i>
    <b>A. </b>Lots of prototype changes (size fixes for items, value corrections, weapon type changes), a few magic items were incorrect (e.g. Jaer's Spheres of fire) those are fixed, we've revamped the random number generator, lots of quests have been updated/fixed, a bracer stacking bug has been fixed, a criticals not confirming on a matching AC bug was fixed, some strength bonus bugs with 2handed weapons have been fixed, a bug where magic projectiles helped your melee was fixed, the IO subsystem has been abstracted out so people can write tools that work with the game easier, and a few more miscellaneous bugs have been fixed.

<b>Q. </b><i>Can you give us an ETA of the 2nd patch?</i>
    <b>A. </b>Originally April 1, but that came and went. I'd say sometime mid next week, maybe the 14th or at the latest the 19th of April.</blockquote>
    Here's hoping Troika have learned something and won't need to patch Bloodlines so much.

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I hope they do, you really appreciate the game after the 2nd and 3rd patches in my opinion. Its like the first version is the developers saying "this is what it would be like if we were lazy ass holes... and...<4 months go by> THIS is what its like because we did a good job pooring our hearts and souls into the gaming experience."

I hate deadlines, they fuck with everyone's expectations.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yahoooo!

Then I might install it again and finally complete it. How I've been waiting for this.

Amen to that bro.

4. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

The problem is, with the disapointment in sales ToEE was, and the (perhaps) deserved bashings of the game on account of its bugs, will people still be willing to invest in VtMR? Even if it comes out quite bug free, how many will shrug off the negativity surrounding Troika?

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Honestly, I don't think that's such a big problem. Many people still have Arcanum in good memory, which should be enough of an incentive. Besides, I've got the feeling that the hype for this game is a rather big one, and a solid interest is beneficient for the sales, naturally.

Let's just hope that the game is as marvellous and bug-free as I want it to be. In the end it boils down on quality. Good games have a tendency to sell more.

6. DarkUnderlord

I thought it sold quite well actually? Even getting a fifth spot mention in one of the NDR weekly reports.

I put a lot of faith in what Troika are doing to patch ToEE and hope that will carry through to some preventative checking for Bloodlines. Unlike some developers, Troika have willingly admitted to the bugs and are working (now on their second patch) to fix them. They aren't running around saying "What? No bugs! No bugs!" and then hoping everyone else will buy their next game.

It depends on how good the game is. You've seen the questions being asked in the weekly updates though. Lack of good questions == lack of interest. Hell, even around here I can't find too many people that are wetting their pants at anticipation of Bloodlines. I think it's just such a diversion from the games we do play (isometric, turn based combat, RPG to FPS + RPG bits) that people are thinking "Well, that's not really for me".

The rumour mill will work wonders though. If the game is relatively bug free, Troika will have their reputation lifted. Arcanum wasn't too buggy having no big game ender bugs and only a few minor issues but not much forum outrage about it. ToEE's the one getting the bad rap. If Bloodlines is bug-free, I think people will forgive past indiscretions.

On the other hand, if it's a festering bug ridden pile of crap... I'll have even more fun abusing them in news posts! It won't just be about the Bloodlines website anymore. :)

7. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

You better hope its bug free. What if this thing bombs and its their last game? Then jinxed is stuck with a domain name without any purpose, and dead content... The forum will still kick ass of course.

8. Role-Player

Role-Player New Member

I was under the impression it striked little commercial success, possibly selling less units than Arcanum. I'm not aware of the actual number of units sold, though.

Well, that's certainly true. I was thoroughly disapointed with Bioware's dismissal of bugs on their forums regarding NWN. It reached anecdotal proportions. "Sorry folks, we just can't replicate this bug that's happening to everyone!"

Hey, my questions weren't that bad :/

That's true; i can only recall two severe bugs i found in ToEE, and they were manageable. One involved Geoffrey Tarralan-Ashe (sp?) having a broken map tile (!) in his inventory which could not be removed. The other was a corrupted savegame quite far into the game. Post-patch i don't remember them appearing again.

As for VtMR, well, i can only hope Troika has gotten the message regarding bugs, and that they'll focus more on its overall polish.

9. DarkUnderlord

Rather than adding more bloody spells!

Our Host!