0h n0s!!!!1 4$|-|cr0ft cr4x0rz d0wn 0n w4r3z!!!!1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milo, Dec 13, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Milo

Milo New Member

Found this while browsing around:

United States Department of Justice Press Release

Here's a cut & paste of the entire article for those who didn't want to touch my linky:

Any thoughts on this or on piracy in general?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Milo on 2001-12-13 14:55 ]</font>

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

well, I won't say that I aprove of piracy. BUT, there are some things that I am really grateful for. like Silent Hill, which was never available in Poland via legal means. Or numerous games that were translated into polish. this is to dragoon: Have you seen the Wolfenstein traslation? Not only did they translate only 25% of the game, namely options and they did it like this: one side translated and the other not:
    widok.. - off/on
    also, the translation style is not wroth 2 cents. And on top of that it costs nealy 50$ which in Poland's case is pillage since we make 4x less than people do in the states and it costs just as much there. The cherry on top is that the game's not so hot. Better of with AVP2 for 25$

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinxed on 2001-12-13 15:07 ]</font>

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Jeez, that's quite a tough crackdown, if true/accurate.

Thoughts on piracy/cracking?

Well, I don't like the need for piracy, but I think the publishers create the need. I remember wayyyyy back when they used to claim that prices of music cassettes were so steep because of piracy driving up the prices.

Then CD's came out, which were initially impossible/impractical to pirate and guess what? The prices of those were twice that of tapes.

I'd love to live in system not involving piracy. Then again, I'd love to live in a system where publishers and distributers didn't get the biggest mark-up in the entire creation>>delivery chain just for running things through machines or shunting stuff around.

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

If the price of games was dropped by about $20 or $30, then I know I'd buy more games. The only thing that stops me is that $100 for a new game is way over-priced.

Another good thing would be not having old games still at premium prices - drop the prices after a while EB! Serious Sam cost (the equivalent here) of $40 in the USA, over here it STILL costs about $90...

I understand piracy, 90% of the videos we own are copies, but I'm not a fan of piracy. For some people it's necessary, but if people wouldn't charge so much for their products then piracy wouldn't be as much of a problem.

5. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Yep, I just hope that this news won't coz the games' prices skyrocket again coz they are starting to get rid of their competition.
    Although Im not a fan of piracy, they still help us in some ways coz they somehow brought down some of the games prices..

6. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

( panting heavily ).. Must .. have ..piracy... Out of all my 30 - 40 games , only about 5 are not illegal .. each pirated CD here [ Singapore ] cost 'bout $10 a CD , while originals cost $60 !! WAAYY too expensive...

7. Milo

Milo New Member

One thing struck me as funny when I reread the article:

The Sting:

And the result:

Ok, I know they did more than just "remove thousands of copies of pirated software." They also took down some of the top sites, and this will affect the scene. At least for a short while.

I just think it's funny that they had to serve up over a hundred thousand "warez" files and over ten thousand pirated "software, movies, and games" in order to do it. Way to distribute them w4r3z, Uncle Sam!

I also thought the codename of the third project was kinda funny. "Operation: Digital Piratez". :lol: Love how they added the "z" at the end.

8. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

I think all the operations were paid for by Gil Batez.

9. Milo

Milo New Member

Heh, yeah. Can't you just hear him chuckling?

[​IMG]"h4w h4w h4w!! r00fl3 0wn3d p1r4t3z!!"

10. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Very nice! :smile:
    I gotta learn how to do the picture thing.

11. Milo

Milo New Member

Software pirates, beware!

[​IMG]

PS- Feldon, all you gotta do is upload your pics somewhere and then link them with the [ IMG ] tags. Google Image Search is a goldmine, you can find a ton of images to manipulate there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Milo on 2001-12-13 19:23 ]</font>

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

A copy of Photoshop is also handy - warez if you can get it :smile:.

13. Milo

Milo New Member

No! Warez is bad.

I most certainly did buy my copy of Photoshop 6.0, Mr. Ashcroft. I'm just using a perfectly legal backup copy. Want proof that it's a backup? Fine, search through all my discs. I promise you won't find the originals there. See, that's why I backed them up.

Woo hoo! Logic prevails, citizen!

14. Mael

Mael New Member

just thougth
    the cause of the piracy is the publisher's fault there are places that thier products cant reach, thus the only way of getting them is pirated ones, and another reason is those application which cost to much

Our Host!