People believe anything...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silvara, Nov 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

What, are we afraid of controversy here? I like to believe that we were having a healthy debate. Of course we should respect each other's opinions, and I do. I'm not trying to force mine on anyone, either. I'm just explaining and bringing evidence to support my beliefs, in the hope that perhaps some people will see it my way. If not, fine, but at least you've gotten a new perspective on an issue. Isn't that what debating is all about?

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

i am really happy with my belifes, i am a pagan-agnostic-atheist, and it suites me just fine.

3. Quethim

Quethim New Member

You know, one reason the United States was created was to basically get away from religion...

EDIT: Or actually, they wanted to have a freedom of religion and not one forced onto them...or something like that.

You see, you should all be thankful that you live now and now way back then...cause back then if you didn't like the religion, then tough, deal with it or face punishment....

4. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Kid, I know you don't have the best grasp of the English language, but you must realize what a ludicrous condradiction in terms the above statement was. You can't be a pagan-agnostic-atheist at the same time. Here's what you would believe.
    Your pagan faith could encompass any number of things, including, but not limited to: ancestor worship, anamism, sun worship, cannabalism, human sacrafice, and possibly gruesome scarafication rituals. As an agnostic, you would believe that God might be out there, but you aren't sure, and even if He is, you don't want anything to do with Him. Finally, if you were an atheist (a(prefix meaning without) + theis - god) you would believe that God does not exist.

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

But there can be a cultural crossover. I know Jewish athiests, agnostics, & pagins. There it is the cultural aspects of Judiasim that are important in the label.

An American diplomat in negotiations in Ireland was asked the offical question, "Are you Catholic or Protestant?" "Me?" he replied' "I'm an athiest." "Ah, but is it the Cathloic or the Protestant god that you do not believe in?"

Freedom of religon? In America? In the 21st century? Come come, in this administration the best way to get ahead is to be on your knees.

I would rather have freedom from religon.

6. Icairus

Icairus New Member

This thread is a reasonably healthy way to offend other people's beliefs. The Whole reason for its existence is a nice debate. I don't think that anyone takes it too seriously.

The USA was founded on freedom of Protestant religion. Not even all of Christianity was tolerated, although a few places were Catholic-tolerant (Maryland).

7. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

I'm glad somebody agrees with me. If people are too tolerant and "sensitive," nothing ever gets done. Some nice controversy is a good thing.

8. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Well, the most important of America's "founding fathers" were deists, like many of the Rousseauian intellectuals of the day. Deists, god as master bowler.

Anybody else ever read Thomas Jefferson's rewrite of the Gospels? He hacked them up, looking for what he thought Jesus really said. Ended up with very little. Pretty good, though I'm more a fan of Stephen Mitchell's.

9. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

well, im an agnostic wich is more to the side wich says "there no such thing as a god", though im dragged to wards paganism.

10. Canis

Canis New Member

Hey, you could say the same thing about Clinton.

:crickets chirp:

Christ, I'm turning into a really bad clone of Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog. Maybe I should stop watching MXC reruns right before bed....

11. Silvara

Silvara New Member

I certainly don't mind debates or controversy, but you don't need to insult others to make a point...

12. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Of course you need to insult others to make a point, you moronic piece of slime. Your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries.

13. Silvara

Silvara New Member

14. Icairus

Icairus New Member

It doesn't matter, you ignorant twit, it is merely an insult by the french in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

15. Silvara

Silvara New Member

If you're going to insult, can't you at least bother to think up your own insults?

16. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Well, I am pleased to see that Silvara has defused this situation before I had to go and get my economy size can of Whup!ASS (tm) and Whup!ASS (tm) can-opener. I was really getting set to throw down before she stepped in and made you zealots look sorry. "Forwards, not backwards; upwards, not downwards; and twirling, always twirling!"

17. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Silvara, When there are insults writen by masters of comedy? Why should the lazy SOB use his own?

Canis, I am glad someone finally saw my joke. Thank you.

xzbyte, An agnostic position is "Niether the existence nor lack of a God has been proven yet." Roger Zelazny wrote a great agnostic lord's prayer takeoff. I cannot remember which book.

18. Silvara

Silvara New Member

What do you mean by "the lazy SOB" ??

19. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I think he means laxy son of a bitch.

You see, SOB is what us jive cats call 'ghetto talk' It is short for son of a bitch. If you would like, I would be glad to introduce you to other mad hot aphorisms.

For instance, if you are looking at two people and one is overweight, and the other is quite capable of providing sexual stimulation to a member of the opposite sex, you would say the first one is fat and the second one is phat. Phat is another slang term, it stands for pretty hot and tempting. It is used as a compliment and in order to get jiggy with someone.

20. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Hmm. English ain't my native language, so while I speak it rather well, there are some nuances I'm not familiar with - i.e. slang terms. Some, anyway.

Our Host!