Talking doors

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Blinky969, Nov 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I want to make a door talk. Well, in the story it'll be a guy behind the door, but for the purposes of WorldEd that's essentially what I'm doing. Now, the only question is how.

This door is supposed to be locked, and when you talk the guy behind the door opens it for you.

I made a suitable script and dialogue for the door, and tied it to the Use button. But when you click the door it doesn't trigger. In testing I figured out Use only would work if you unlock the door then actually open it. I tried Examine, that works but it seems kind of weird, if you accidently hit it from far away, it gets kind of annoying. Any ideas?

A second problem is that even when I get the script to trigger it doesn't say anything. At first I thought I must have fucked up in my dialogue, but I looked at it and all seems good. Now, it might be because doors aren't supposed to talk, but is there any way to circumvent that?

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

you can only make a dialoge for an npc, so what you need to doo is find a way too make a npc look like a door.

3. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Um, how?

I took a look, there's no usable graphics for doors, at least not usable like that.

EDIT: Oh, and how do you loop an object?

4. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Have you tried putting a script tile in front of the door that triggers a dialog? I'm not sure if that will work, but it's worth a try. That way, when someone steps up to the door, they will trigger the script and it will seem like the door is talking.

5. Harlequin5

Harlequin5 New Member

There's an action command in scriptmaker that allows you to switch the current script to a different script, so perhaps you could tie a script to the use or examine option that switches out the door script for the script tied to the person behind the door? Never tried it, so I'm not sure...?

6. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Hey, Blinky969. Did you get this to work? If so, how? This is an interesting enough idea that I'd really like to hear more about it.

Our Host!