Transport

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Rane, Oct 18, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Rane

Rane New Member

I reckon in the next Arcanum there should be new types of transport e.g. Buses, Cars etc. And you should be able to control these means manually like say - you buy a horse from a stable in tarrant (if it is included in the next game) and ride it around the city and likewise for the car.

:p

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yeah, this particular one has been quite a popular topic at this section of the forums. People have been speculating and discussing all manner of vehicles, ranging from gyrocopters, steamboats, airships, aeroplanes, cars, motorbikes, own locomotives and friggin' spaceships too rideable mounts such as horses, griffins, dragons, you name it.

Would be cool if you could control them manually as you said though. I can already imagine a 3' gnome going postal in Tarant with his high-powered early 1900's motorcar :rofl:

Then, there should of course be a driving police force chasing you.

Arcanum 2: Grand Theft Auto. :lol:

3. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

4. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

you know, I think Arcanum 2: Vice City sounds better, mainly cause I think driving around in a lowered Model T while shooting at cops out the rear window would be fun. but seriously, I don't there should truly be cars. It's a funny thought, but horses? sure, griffins? magic only... Dragons? um... maybe... I think horses, and maybe some sort of tech monster like a automaton mount. ya know? not actual cars and motorcycles. Maybe a flying machine, but nothing other than that.

5. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

Hey I know what techies can use for transportation Ore golems! :lol:

6. Rane

Rane New Member

Techies riding ore golems - lol. I think arcanum 2 should have also have the trains sytem from the first game but this time the screen shouldn't fade to black and then you "appear" in the town. You should be able to see the journey and be able to walk around the train, and when people fall asleep (like they usually do on trains :/ ) you could be able to loot their bags and steal money, itmes etc.

But then you would have to try and evade the security ogre's on the train carriges. Also, when the ogre guards come along to see your tickets (Ugh, tickest pleze :p) u should be alble to kill them and steal the ticket money. :lol:

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Techies wouldn't be riding golems. Golems are magick creatures in Arcanum.

As for your train idea Rane - :)

Sure, we should be able to walk around in trains, though normally this should be an option you could turn on/off by your desire, otherwise it would get tedious travelling by train. But it could surely open up some interesting options for thieves. 8)

Other than that, this could also add a dimension to some quests. What about a quest were you have to "silence" someone discretly aboard a crowded train? What about chasing a dangerous criminal through a full dining wagon? What about joining a band of brigands and sabotage the railway, and then loot the train?

8. ralph

ralph New Member

About the train idea: The train could chrash sometimes, or be robbet while you where inside. And the creatures could be as dog, they are fighting too. and you have som waggon the creatures was dragging!! MAYBE...

9. Rane

Rane New Member

Yeh, that would be cool ralph, if you were on the train and then it crashed. Everyone dies and you could loot EVERYTHING !

But I also think that tech characters should be able to buy (or steal :D) motorbikes and normal bikes. As for magick characters they should be able to conjure Magick Flying Carpets :p - That would be cool. Zapping people with disentegrate spells and speeding away on your magick carpet.
    - MAGICK DRIVE BY'S ! - :lol:

Also, the best idea yet... Tech characters should be able to make their own transport (Cars, Motorbikes, Bikes, Boats, Flying Machines etc.)
    That would be such an amazing site ! All you see is hundreds of weird looking cars and bikes driving around and these "things" flying all over the place ! :lol:

Dark Elf, as for your idea of turning on/off the "Train Journey" option is true in a certain point of view, but I mean each time you ride a train something different happens every time. So, I guess it would get tedious after a while but the aspect of robbing people and hijacking trains sounds very exiteing. Only if Troika did include this aspect of the game, it would be great! :thumbup:

Oh yeh - 1 more thing, when is Arcanum 2 going to be released or has it even been announced yet ?

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Wouldn't it be better then if you could turn off the Train Journey option, but find yourself on the train wether you want or not if something like that happens? Robberies and such should happen randomly, though not too often - if you think for a moment, you'll realize that you wouldn't want to play Arcanum with robberies occuring at each and every train journey you take. There must be balance with these things, otherwise people may get bored/annoyed :)

Nope. Nothing has been announced - the only thing we have to live on at the moment is this quote, taken from Troikas official site:

But again, nothing has yet been actually confirmed. :cry:

11. Langolier

Langolier Member

The train idea is really good. The accidents and robberies should be pretty rare though. That opens up possibilities for so many more quests too. I think Techies should be able to make or buy automobiles. Horses should be available to all. Perhaps Unicorns for magick types... some sort of flying vehicle for techies. I think the teleport spell should only transport somebody around a particular city, or even just across a room. Oh and the train thing would work with blimbs and ships too. I dont imagine blimbs would be hijacked, but I can certainly see pirates attacking a cruiseliner... The magic carpet idea is also nice. Ofcourse you shouldnt have to own automobiles and horses to get around, there should be 'taxis' you can pay to use. Building them or buying them on your own would allow you to take them into the wild or perhaps sell them for profit.

12. Samwise

Samwise New Member

I can't believe noone has mentioned (or maybe I just missed it) the robotic horses shown in one of the end-game slides for Arcanum. The first time I saw the robot horse I was like, "Omfg teh pwn!"

Yeah, something like that :/

13. Langolier

Langolier Member

Robotic Horses? I dont recall seeing any robotic horses..unless you mean what is otherwise known as a 'car'.

14. Rane

Rane New Member

What ? What robotic horses ? :/

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    In one of the possible ending sequences you can see a Dragon Knight, armed and teched to the teeth, riding a robotic horse.

Robotic horses could indeed be nice to have for your transportation needs. Faster, stronger and tougher than your average horse, but is way more expensive to both buy and maintain (last time I checked, the price for hay was lower than the price of fuel...)

16. Langolier

Langolier Member

Ah yes! I saw the picture for that last night on "Dimensions of Arcanum". What ending is that though? In all my travels I've never seen it.

17. Samwise

Samwise New Member

I'm not sure, but I think if you dig around in your Arcanum directory you'll stumble onto the end-game slides folder. You'll find it in there.

18. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Yeah, I've seen it before. Where's Mr.Frodo, Samwise Gamgee? :p

19. Samwise

Samwise New Member

20. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Well, for those in favour of cars, there's a rather interesting topic about it in the Great Discussion forum with nice pics.

Our Host!