Soulution to SPAM problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xz, Oct 15, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do You Agree?

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. This Topic Is No Good Send It To The Vault.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Make a own forum dedicated to spammers.

That would be so cool

2. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

No it wouldn't. Unless there would be a different advancement path which would result in more and more stupid avatars and ranks the more you post there.

3. Xz

a post there will not count more than half in post count,

and once you post hundred posts there you get Spam avatar No.1
    150 no.2
    200 no.3

and so on for evry fifty until 500 then you get the ultimate spam avatar + your posts in that for um will no longer be counted.

oh and almost forgot when 100 posts out side the forum will reduce your spam level with 1, but your posts will still not count after five hundred in that forum.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Why don't you just join this forum if you want to do some hardcore spamming?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/vaultofspam/

It's being run by Xento. It will fit your needs just fine I believe.

About a spam section at this forum... no. Don't even think about it more. Please? :-(

5. Xz

i'm no spammer, i just want to give them a place they can spam all they want without bugging others

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    The problem I see with your sollution is this: A spammer forum might work well for like a week, but then the spammy posts will spill over to the other forums, and we'll end up with a mess. "hey, i cans psot watver i ilkes at ota r0xx0r forum so i shod b able to do tat here to"!

Really, it won't work.

7. Xz

well you might be right, but it won't lead to more spam in the other forums

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    On the contrary, I believe it will. Once you make something acceptable in one area, it will spread to others. After a while, you'll have people spamming on all our boards just to test our good dear moderators patience. And that's not a good thing.

The intent behind your idea is good xzbyte :) , but I'm afraid it won't turn out well in reality.

9. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

The only soulution to Spam in my opinion is to charge money to join. That way it would be a bigger loss for spammers if they got banned. But I'm sure the site would lose alot of members.

10. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Spamming is bad. This is the reason that spammers spam. So, giving them an area to spam will work for about a week, then they will just go back to spamming GD

11. King_Natstar

King_Natstar New Member

lol :lol:
    you should not encourge people to spam.

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

There is no way an area like that will ever be created in our forums.

13. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

actually Ick, that's not true, I myself spammed for ages, yet I truly didn't realize/intend to spam the board as much as I did, I just posted replies, and I'm glad this board isn't getting a section for spamming. Xzbyte, your idea was a decent, though perhaps half-baked, one. We thank you for having posted it, but I'm afraid it was slain like a dragon.

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Silvio, the fact that this board has like 13 responses and it's been open for only like, a day, is proof that the spam here is even more alive than the one in the back of my fridge. If you care, he turns 1 in 9 days. His name's Bob if you want to wish him a happy b-day!

If you guys only posted when you had something important to say, then the spam problem would stop. If you'll notice, I didn't make an entire seperate topic to talk about my pet spam. I added it to a post that I was already writing. This post was meant to show a point, and then I threw my stupid crap in with it.

So the next time you want to talk about how you just broke your old record for the number of pieces of fried chicken you can eat in a minute, why don't you just add it somewhere in a meaningful post, that way everything you write has at least one point in it buried among all the meaningless crap.

15. Silvio-Arjunza

Blinky, I dissent. What's going on above is a debate, if the topic had gone from needing a spam board to wether Asus was better than Pentium, or if there were several pointless posts, THEN it would be spam. there are a couple useless ones, but for the most part this string isn't any spammier than others.

16. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

BUT THAT'S THE POINT! EVERYTHING IS FRIGGIN SPAMMY!

17. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

You have to know the degree of spam which is allowed.

If you post "Hey, I'm Doodle, I'm 13 and my favourite color is blue" or "I just turned 14 WHOOPIEFUCKENDOO" it's really low grade spam. Of course these might seem like great ideas at the time, but believe me when I say this, GOD KILLS A KITTEN every time something like that gets posted.

There are certain situations when a birthday thread is ok. Such as the author being a hardcore regular poster, which in turn means there are others like him around that actually give a rats ass that it happened.

All of this can be turned into one clear message:

Think before you post.

18. Xz

OK it might have been a bad ide, now get a lock on it so that i wont have to veiw it anymore.

19. Silvio-Arjunza

Agreed. I think before I post, and it is VERY effective. :razz: oh, and Jinxed, why not create a sticky thread purely for birthdays? someone could post heir birthday in it, and we could all say "congrads" or some stupid shit like that, and that way we wouldn't mulitiple stupid and pointless threads popping up (ie: Happy Joining Day) and while Xzbyte's idea may not have been the best, why not give him a little props for having suggested an idea to you guys? instead of just slamming him down because ''he's a newb and knows no better." By the Way, my name is Matt, and my favorite color is black. :roll: Blinky, you may be right, things are getting very spammy, but I'm doing my best not to create small, useless posts, and turn to putting valid thoughts and good points in. As my title says "I'm gettin there!" So while everything is very spamming, why don't you guys change Sleek's symbol as well? I'm not SOLELY to blame for all the spam, he shares his weight of spam as well as I do. Give him a little credit (like perhaps one of those pictures you were suggesting... :D :thumbup: :D ).

20. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

True, it's not you fault all this spam pops up, but your easily the most fucking obnoxious about spamming. I don't feel like switching threads, and seeing how this has devolved into talking about your fucking spam, like everything in fucking GD is doing nowadays, why don't I post it here?

You mentioned in that announcement how you are a Boy Scout, and how there was nothing in the Scout Oath or Law that says no spamming. Well I'm a Boy Scout too, and there is. A scout is mother fucking courteous! And it's not too courteous to spam 8 million things so the moderators have to sort through them. And it's not courteous that you keep posting crap in response to people's complaints! Don't reply to this. Take it in and think on it. You keep saying your sorry, but then you keep coming back for last licks, and it's annoying the ever living shit out of me.

"I'll stop spamming, but by the way..." "I'm really sorry, but I hope you know..." JUST SAY YOUR SORRY AND SHUT THE FUCK UP! END OF DISCUSSION! If you feel like posting about how your cat threw up on you, look in Hints and Tips. See if anyone has a problem you can solve. Or look and see if there is a discussion you can influence POSITIVELY. Then after you post your spiel about how much Magnus sucks, or how you don't like the band in question, throw a little side note in and talk about your cat, or whatever stupid crap you feel like talking about.

That way you don't have 8 million different posts about stupid crap and 3 about important stuff, and in every one of your posts there'll be at least one teeny tiny little bit of important information, and no one will be able to say you just post shit.

Our Host!