Benjamin Gershwin's sticky fingers

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Balint, Oct 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Balint

Balint New Member

I gave Gershwin the twins' skulls as he requested, then needed to get them back for another quest. Gershwin was amiable enough to offer them to me after following the right dialog path, and preying on his superstitious nature; only problem is, despite his dialog telling me that I'm getting back the skuills, they remain firmly anchored in his possession. Is this a known bug? And if so, does anyone have a workaround? I've got the patch installed. Couldn't pickpocket the skulls; I'm running a mage who isn't lightfingered, and I'd rather not kill the gnome. My followers might find that a little annoying.

2. Corsarius

Corsarius New Member

I had the opposite problem. I gave him the skulls, for which he thanked me, and they stayed in my posession. You can't sell the suckers so eventually they found their way into a rubbish bin in Caladon.

3. Balint

Balint New Member

Definitely sounds buggy, then. But I was under the impression that such quest item-related issues had been dealt with by the patch.

Anybody got positive suggestions for this problem?

4. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Blow the fate point. Had that happen to me several times, but I almost always have pickpocket. His failure to delever that is, not his falure to take. Hadn't heard that one before.

5. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i have never used a fate point for anything but pickpocketing stuff off of characters i dont want to piss off, and dont go to sleep at night...
    and the only time i've done that is to get the large plate armor.
    i guess i just dont like to rely on fate points, i'll probably use them when i finally get to kerghan, i'll just use my ten saved up fate points to blow him away with critical blade launcher hits. but who really cares about fate points anyway?

6. Balint

Balint New Member

I'd completely forgotten about fate points. Suppose I could throw a point on my elf mage into learning pickpocket, seeing as how she's got points to spare in development.

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

The Light Fingered Guantlets give any mage enough pickpocket to use a fate point. Ditto any PC & Oiled thieve's Leather.

8. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

I don't think you need any pickpocket skill to use the fate point. I've never taken a single point in pickpocket or worn the light-fingered gauntletnts or the thieve's leather, and I spent plenty of time fatepocketing. Same with heal: 0 skill in heal, but I still get crit successes when I fate heal.

9. Balint

Balint New Member

Just realized when I returned how my last post looked, so clarification:

I meant that, instead of using a fate point, perhaps I'd put a level point into pickpocketing, and use that, instead. Perhaps , though, I'll try the light-fingered gauntlets.

10. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

one point in pickpocket wont be enough to get the armor, and it would be a waste of a character point. pickpocketing is only useful very early in the game, and you can do most of it at night when the victim is asleep. there are much better ways to spend character points than this. trust me.

11. gargob

gargob New Member

Some characters don't go to sleep like Benjamin.
    if you don't mind just tell your followers to wait outside then kill him.
    Or disentigrate then run up and get the item before it's gone.

12. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

or you could quench life him, and not deal with trying to stop the skulls from evaporating...

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

either way, i find that pickpocketing once or twice is the best use for fate points. relying on fate points for combat purposes seems like it would dampen your ability, there is only a limited number of them so why not save them for something that is going to help you out over the long run (like really good armor) rather than blow one on a critical hit. Another thing there is only a limited number of is character points after all...

14. Balint

Balint New Member

I just simply told everybody to wait outside, then walked in and Harm'd Mr. Sticky Fingers twice. It was admittedly unpleasant; I never enjoy killing academics, and the fellow was a most peacable type. But he refused to part with the skulls, and suffered the unfortunate consequences. :(

Our Host!