Idea for an Arcanum 2 story

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Samwise, Jun 11, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Samwise

Samwise New Member

INTRO:

You are walking down the street when, suddenly, out of nowhere a poor, homeless fortune teller stumbles up to you, clings to your clothes, falls to his knees, and, with his last dying breath, he mutters "...must kill the harbinger! [muffled noise] ....must kill the harbinger!" Then he dies.

Now, in the game the character would take this to mean HE must kill the "harbinger." But, in reallity, he IS the harbinger (so the homeless dude was actually trying to kill YOU), but he doesn't know that yet. So the character goes on his search to find out who the harbinger is, what he is the harbinger of, and why he must be killed. After many quests you find out the "harbinger" is actually the bringer of the dragons. BIG dragons. Dragons like Bellerogrim. Dragons being brought back by great magicians in order to battle with technology. The player continues his quest-completing and gets to the point where he finds out HE is the harbinger.

From there, I don't know where the story should go. It would probably be the players choice: stay as the harbinger and bring the dragons back, or DON'T remain the harbinger and try to defeat those who are still trying to bring back the dragons. Regardless of what you do, the dragons WILL return and you must either fight with or against them. Of course, by now technology will have developed considerably so it will be an even match.

IMO this is a cool setting because...

1. You have the chance to either fight against or along side dragons. VERY cool.

2. You have a choice toward the end to stay as harbinger (which you will likely do if you are a mage) or fight the dragons (which you will likely do if you are a technologist).

3. This story has many big twists (finding out about dragons, finding out YOU are the harbinger, etc.).

Well, there it is. I've been developing this story for some time now and I decided to unleash it upon you all. IMO Arcanum 2 should DEFINITELY take place in the same world, on the same continent, but with big changes: Tarant falling into ruin and overrun with orcs (Donn Throgg effect), Cumbria becoming leader in all things technology, return of Vendigroth, stuff like that.

Samwise

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Not bad. It's got a lot more thought in it that a lot of the stories around here. It could quite happily take place a hundred years after Arcanum, where technology is now more common than magick and the mages hatch a scheme to shift the balance of power.

3. cadaver

cadaver New Member

really nice story
    but I recommend that vendigroth become leader of all things technology and cumbria gets another faith (don't know which 1)

personal things
    I prefer if the island (don't know name, but here lives the 'dad' for 2000 year) actually got an city/empire
    tulla could be the place where the dragons return, because its is allready hatred against technoligy (in tulla there is a side quest where you have to retrieve some gem from a boy who has some technology armor, waiting outside)

4. Samwise

Samwise New Member

How dumb of me! Of course Vendigroth should be the leader of all things technology, not Cumbria! DOH!

5. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

I think that you should be abl to make a living and buy land and build a house so your character has a place of refuge to gain health store supplies and leave your companions that you meet along the way and every time you leave you place of refuge you choose which party members to take according to the skills you need to acomplish a goal.

6. Drake Crowind

Drake Crowind New Member

Yea that a good Idea. I hate to go look for my followers when I tell them to disband. And the more profit you make the bigger your house gets and the more followers you can have at a time like a small Mirror/remote control thing that allows you to call up your followers anywhere and they appear right there like teleportation.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The story above is great :)

Let me make a try...

What about an Arcanum sequel were magick has faded away, and technology has evolved to be the ultimate power in the world. Vendigroth, raised from the ashes by Arronax a long time ago, has risen to be the largest, mightiest and most influential city in all Arcanum, situated as it is in the now irrigated Vendigroth wastes. The once great city of Tulla is now abandoned, it's pride and dignity long forgotten. Magick, as it seems, has ceased to exist - even the elves have had to adjust themselves to this, now using technology instead of the words of power deployed by their ancestors.

And in this world of steamworks, a group of scientists discover a set of magickal artifacts...

From here, there are an endless set of possibilities. Vendigroth could discover a way of extracting energy from magick to power machines of war, plotting to take on the entire world. Maybe you're called into action? If so, what if magick leaks into you, turning you into the first spellcaster on Arcanums soil for centuries?

Here you could have a clear magick vs technology conflict. If Vendigroth tries to subjugate the whole continent, you'd sure as hell have resisting groups. And if magick is rediscovered, these rebels might want to use it... And in the midst of all this, you've got to choose what side you're on.

8. cadaver

cadaver New Member

I really like that idea especially with vendigroth wanting taking control over whole arcanum

but what if the elves lost the magic (not applitude) and that elves even use technoligy (not so advanced offcourse) and that the elves wil rebel against vendigroth after the magic rediscovery. The elves are starting to use magic again and goes into fight against vendigroth (could be possibility to have the elves split in magic users and technoligy users)

another possibility is that the dwarves olso start to fight against vendigroth because they have returned magic and dwarves don't like magic (they won't fight the elves because elves and dwarves don't interfere each other)

9. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

Anothor story line could be where the recent technology uprising put technology at a great demand. so the dwarven clans establish a dwarven council just like the elven council did.

10. King_Natstar

King_Natstar New Member

Good idea for the second arcanum :thumbup: but i don't think it would be enough to make a whole new game and the fact there is not going to be a second arcanum :(
    instead of the living dragons which are now all dead i would think it would be nice in the storyline that a group of powerful necromaners bring the dragons back to life as undead dragons (bone dragons) in the hope to use them to distroy arcanum but the dragons kill the necromancers and are now free to do whatever they want. :)

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Where did you get that from?

Read this:

Taken from the FAQ on Troikas official site:

http://www.troikagames.com/faq.htm

You're quite clearly all mad about undeath aren't you?

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i would like to see a game where you are framed for the ruthless murder of a family of 6 and then are hunted down for the rest of the game. doesnt matter what it is so it might as well be arcanum 2. something realistic you know? game's dont always have to hinge on the end of the world you know? especially rpgs, though they seem to rely on that plot the most.

13. King_Natstar

King_Natstar New Member

well undead are great for leveling up because they keep coming back to life.

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    Ok, but do you have any real proof that there isn't going to be another game? Arcanum wouldn't be the first not-so-succesful game out there to get a sequel you know... don't destroy my dreams goddammit! :x (runs of to mommy...)

Wouldn't that be very, very lame?

15. cadaver

cadaver New Member

/points at Liam's portal and the Ashbury Graveyards (I thougd it was, but can't check it because arcanum doesn't run on XP :x)

16. stormwell55

stormwell55 New Member

Arcanum does run on XP, my friend ran it and it worked.

17. cadaver

cadaver New Member

it doesn't work on this pc and it doesn't work in the kitchens pc :(
    do you know what he has changed/done to get it working?

/searches arcanum disks

18. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

i run it on xp.

just go to the folder you installed it to, rightclick on tha arcanum.exe. properties\compatibility and check the box named "run this program in compatibility for, and select windows 98

19. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

It runs fine on XP home without changing anything. If you have XPPro, just fiddle with the compatibility until you get it going.

20. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Our Host!