It's out!

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons Discussion Forum' started by Shadygrove, Sep 18, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

And I got it.

And if you think Arcanum had a learning curve....

Its going to take me 2 or 3 days to figure out what I want to do in charcter creation. So far the obvious thing is bigger numbers are better. Beyond that it is a tad confusing.

Looks good so far. So far is part way through the tutorial & making a few PCs.

And from reading the well detailed manual, I still don't want to adventure with Paladins.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    No wonder - paladins are meant to be extremely fanatic, after all. In the eyes of the paladin, he's Lawful Good, and everyone who isn't just rightfully deserves to be impaled by my Holy Avenger! Extremely difficult to combine with a thievish rogue, or a desire to earn some money for all your hard work.

Great that you have it, though :)

I'm not as lucky as you are. According to all sources, I'll still have to wait until 3rd October, which definately sucks. I guess that's the prize you've got to pay for living in the best place on earth ;)

3. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

whenever i roleplay a thief in dnd (almost ALWAYS, i cant emphasize ALWAYS enough believe me. i've played as may be a ranger once, and a monk once, a sorcer/thief doesnt really count as not playing a thief) i tend to spend a lot of time stealing from temples and stuff, and any of my friends who are role playing paladins usually just get told to shut up every once in a while when they start thinking about actually roleplaying like they're religious fanatics. we usually tend to use the excuse that its highly unlikely that a character that good would be homicidal in his pursuits, so instead my buddy who was playing him just bitched a whole lot. which was annoying, but at least i got to steal a shitload of religious artifacts from the temples of evil and neutral gods.

i wouldnt pick a paladin anyway. i tend to avoid multiclassed characters, and the paladin might as well be a fighter/fighter/cleric you know? his spells arent as good as a cleric, and hes a better fighter than a fighter/cleric, and his weapon restrictions are less "blunt weapons only."
    but he doesnt beat a fighter and a cleric, or better yet, a ranger and a druid.

4. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Shadygrove let us know what are the mininum and recommended system specs. I can't find them at ToEE's homepage and don't really feel like searching for them right now.

Also let me know what machine you have and how does ToEE behave on it.

EDIT- Found the reqs already so just the second question remains.

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Dragoon, its running on a Compac Pent 1.2 with an Nvida ti 4200 based video card*. I haven't gotten into any game that might stress the card. As you can have a party of 5, animal companions & familiars, & up to 3 followers, the card will get a workout. Later.

Jeek, are you asking to get banned for sig abuse?

Dark Elf, of course paladins are meant to be extremely fanatic, I picture Newt Gingritch in plate mail. If a friend role plays well, I don't want to be in that party. With a machine playing the PC, I don't want to be in the party. In real life I don't like fanatics either.

I started playing D&D in its earliest days, when the only alignment was Law Vs. Chaos. I kept screaming "Law is a religon, not a disease." & invented, on my own, moments before Gygax & Co. did, the Lawful Evil cleric. To the Paladin, it is a disease & he wants to spread it.

The blunt objects limitation for clerics may be gone. I certainly hope so.

*I have a machine well below these specs available, but it is under the game's minimums. I have a higher spec machine available, but the game isn't on that one yet.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    True that. I've always felt that if fanaticism was removed from the world, we'd be spared from many horrible things, such as war and Jehovahs witnesses.

Yup, they are. Nowadays, clerics receive the Simple Weapon Feat at get-go (contains weapons such as the mace, dagger, spear, sling, crossbow etc). There are numerous ways for clerics to get profiencies in martial weapons.

1) Picking the War domain gives you Profiency and Weapon Focus in your deitys favoured weapon.

2) You can burn a feat on getting profiency in a martial weapon.

3) You can multiclass into a class that has the Martial Weapon Profiency (such as fighters and barbarians)

4) You can play as an elf, which gives you profiency in the longsword, rapier, shortbow and longbow.

And, there's no hindrance for you to take Exotic Weapon Profiency later on either ;)

With Spiked Chain being in, it might be worth it burning some feats for it. It's so pretty...

7. Canis

Canis New Member

Shadygrove, I'm interested to hear what you think of the game's story, social interaction, and roleplaying potential. It's out here now, but I'm reluctant to buy it because of concerns about those aspects. The Gamespy review referred to "lackluster storytelling", and stated that most of the game takes place within the Temple itself, which has me worrying that it's going to be a very pretty dungeon crawl with a complicated ruleset for combat and character generation.

Anyway, I still haven't got a new video card so I probably wouldn't even be able to see the pretty graphics if I bought it now. I saw a couple of Radeons which I thought were good until I realized they were third party products. Well, I don't know. Do you suppose a card with, like, 64Mb DDR would be adequate?

8. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

A 64 meg card is more than enough for anything out there now. Only a few games will run better on a 128, & no one has released anything that even takes advantage of the new 256 cards yet.

The only Raedon powered but built by someone else I have been told to avoid is Saphire. As a rule of thumb, if they make motherboards too, you can trust their video cards. But there a few fly by nights who turn out a stock reference sheet coppy card, packed with the stock drivers & a few games. Those are the ones to avoid if you can.

As for the rest, I should progress past the party building stage tonight. So far the radial menus are cool.

It is built on the story of an early (the earliest?) pre packaged adventure, so I am kind of expecting a dungeon crawl with plot. How much plot remains to be seen.

9. Phisch

Phisch New Member

Video Cards

If you are looking far an ATi based card one of the best is Hercules. It's a quality product all around and they tend to give you some decent utilities with the card. They look gay though.

Mind you video cards pretty well all look gay these days.

10. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Re: Video Cards

I don't really care what they look like - Thing is they cost 100$ more than the other cards. :(

11. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

why the heck should it matter if its just going inside your tower case anyway?

12. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

If you got yourself a transparent case...

13. labyrinthian

labyrinthian New Member

Shadygrove, we're hungry for more on the game! How is that plot? Gameplay? Advancement? Follower interaction? Sorry to be a pain, but it's not out in Prague yet, and I want to live vicariously through those that have it.

Our Host!