Hardest questions about arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by blazer2002, Sep 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. blazer2002

blazer2002 New Member

1.whic is the best group in the arcanum (max 6 followers) 2.whic is the best melee bow and firearm weopan and where can i find them 3.in my game when i start with 14 charisma (Charlatans Protege)it doesn't go above 20 is the problem with my game

2. blazer2002

blazer2002 New Member

ANd i forgot to write how can i get to Beddokan villige

3. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

I suggest that you try the search function. Your first question has already been addressed in a handful of threads. Your second question has already been answered in a thread that is about two spaces down from this one (at least partially answered, the complete answer can be found by utilizing the search button). Your third question is specific enough to warrant an answer and so I'll give you one: your character race has assessed you a charisma penalty and that may be the reason that you can't get more than 20. Your fourth question can be found in many threads, just make sure that you spell Bedokaan correctly.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Depends only on your playing style. Are you tech or magic? What weapons do you use? Do you need followers only as fighters, or to carry stuff, or to make stuff for you? Besides, who said you can only have 6? ;)

That's a long one to explain. There's plenty of good weaponry, and, again, it depends on your playing style. Tech or magic? Long range, or high speed, or high damage?

If you play unpatched, benefits and penalties of the background have no effect on top stats. You can only boost up your statistics as high as 20, unless there is a racial bonus (like +2 DX for halflings or + 4 ST for half-ogres).

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

1, I prefer voiced followers, but Sebastian is the most versatile fighter around. As was stated, it is a mater of choice. The gunslinger's posse will consist of Volinger, Sebastian, & Franklyn Payne. You can have an all prowling party, an all mage party, an all healer party, an all tech drug adict party, or a party of HUGE 1/2 Ogre thugs.

2, only two choices for the bow. The Pyro Bow & Elemun's Bow.

3, Unless a race has a starting stat over 8, that stat will not go over 20. No race starts with a CH of anything over 8, so they are all limited to CH 20. In general, in the patched game, you can only increase a stat by 12, and sometimes, as for your Charlitan's Apprentice, by less than that. Example, a 1/2 Orc has a starting CH of 6. He can get to CH 18. A 1/2 Orc Debutant has CH 9 to start. She can get to CH 20, but no higher. A Halfling, Raised by Orcs has a starting DX & PE both 10. His DX, a racial trait, can get to 22. His PE can only get to 20. Believe it or not, this is an over simplafacation.

6. Gimp 209

Gimp 209 New Member

personally i like to thieve cos it means you never run out of easily avalible money and you dont have to murder people. also i like to go round alone as im not a hoarder and anly carry stuff i use

7. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

That isn't true in the patched games however, I play alot of flat humans, and I was doing one with Raised by Monks, +1 Pe 1/4 starting wealth, and his max Pe was 21.

8. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

I thought that the start + 12 only worked 100% in the unpatched game.

My 1/2 Orc Debutant was capped at CH 20. So were the 1/2 Elf Debs.

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I have no idea about that, but I can check it out.

10. Canis

Canis New Member

Just tried it: Patched, English, unmodded game, human male, raised by monks, PE max is 20. You're either unpatched, or modded, or mistaken. :)

Why you'd want to go beyond 18 though is another interesting question.

11. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Well, I am modded, rather heavily actually, with some of my own device actually :D , but I don't have the level cap remover, and I don't know any other's that would affect it. I have the shopkeeper's, the scaled up orc and Hand encounter's, one little hack to make dominate will a friendly spell so people don't care if you do it to them, and the editor. I don't know anything else off-hand, except MAYBE for a few extra background packages I have, they MAY have set the background effects to be identified as racial.

12. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Droch's Warbringer is my favorite firearm. You can't get it early in the game though.

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

as for firearm, i really like the tesla gun. even though i dont think its a firearm technically.

theres a good question. what stats affect how well you use a tesla gun?

14. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Tesla Gun is scripted as a rifle-type weapon, being a two-handed gun. The only real difference between it and a Shotgun as far as scripting is concerned is, stats and stuff of course, and the fact it consumes charges instead of bullets, which is actually a relatively minor matter in programming. Same rules apply as for a gun, Pe, and techinical aptitude, although it is a highly technical weapon, so that aspect is more important.

The same goes for anything that seems like a firearm, such as Flamethrower or Grenade Launcher. I'm thinking on making an arrow launcher actually, it might bbe interesting. Like a crossbow. If anyone has found the graphics aarea for prototypes, I vaguely remember seeing that Chirs Beddoes did some graphics thing, please let me know where they are. My email is Rammie969@aol.com

15. Canis

Canis New Member

You can get it as early as you wish, provided you can survive the trip. I think the earliest I've done Vendigroth was about level 10 or so. It's nice being able to use it longer, but it also takes some of the fun out of the game. I prefer using a progression of different firearms throughout the game, instead of rushing to get the nicest one straight away. I usually don't even use that elixir either, I just give it to Virgil. He gets the Trapmaker's Spectacles as well, aren't I nice?

Currently I'm trying to create a nice mid-level revolver out of Schreck's. I really just like the inventory graphic, you see.... No other real thoughts on that one, just felt like mentioning it.

Cool, I've got a dog named Ramesess. :thumbup:

16. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

This is off the topic , but I think I know where Snowmane got her name. Snowmane is king Theoden's horse in The Two Towers. I'm not sure if that's where she got it from , but what else has the name Snowmane?

17. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Depends how you do it. I have one PC, Human Educator, who is quite the explorer & archaeologist. Had this facinating talk with an Elvin coleague at Tarant University. Determined to track down every surviving alter & the fabled lost city too.

My other gunslingers mostly hit the BMC mines with the Fine Revolver. So did he, come to think of it.

18. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

hmm... Fine revover at the Black Mountain Mines? I don't know if I could do that. I'd at least go pick up a Clarington rifle, or better yet i'd steal the looking glass rifle from William Thordrop. I used to always use the looking glass rifle ,but ever since I got that Hard Arcanum patch I don't use it. It makes it do 15-30 damage compared to the awesome 40-40 damge. This is probly one of the reasons I prefer Droch's Warbringer.

19. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

I lost my Doch's :cry: this is a bit of a spoiler question, but 1. how do you get to half-ogre city (or whatever it is... that little isle next to Thanalos), and 2. what other weapons can be found in Vendigroth? I'm trying to get as good of a tech as I can... minus healing and teleport, I prefer tech. I'm currently level 60, and trying to do all the quests I can. :D (I have one patch that turns off the level block... I dunno which one though...)

20. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

Talk to the jovial half-orc right next to the metro kioski in Kensington Park. He will give you a quest which will eventually lead you to Half Ogre Island. His name is Thom Grak.

Our Host!