TOEE GONE GOLD .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chrisbeddoes, Sep 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

2. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Alrighty!, about time we got some news about this......... *does happy dance*........

3. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

4. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

The "gold disk" is the last step before publishing.

5. xento

xento New Member

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

They're not shipping an editor with the game. It's been known that a very heavily modified version of the Arcanum engine is being used since the beginning.

Oh yeah, Atari changed the release date - it's now October 3.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Sounds good enough to me. Just one month to go then... unless it's delayed, of course (which could happen even in this stage, sadly)

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i'm a little apprehensive about all this, the last thig black isle came out with was garbage, troika might just be pumpking something out for sales too. i'd never heard about this game until i came to this forum, whats so special about it exactly? how is it any different from baldurs gate? or better than neverwinter nights?

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    There are many good things that can be pointed out in this game. I for one believe that it will be more enjoyable than BG and NWN.

1) It follows the D&D rules very close - NWN, for example, had to stray away from the original ruleset on multiple occasions (creating new skills and feats and removing others etc). Additionally, it's turn-based, which definately is a grand thing - D&D is made and optimized for turn play, not some real time action yadda yadda...

2) It's single player only - At least that one is appealing to me. It means that they can put all their efforts on the single player campaign, without having to do certain compromizes for balancing PvP* and such things.

3) It uses the Arcanum engine - Heavily modified, of course, but I for one adore that little engine :) .

4) It's made by Troika - Troika made Arcanum. Arcanum rules big time. Period.

I could probably had pointed out more things, but I'm lazy today...

* Acronym for Player Vs Player

10. Flink

Flink New Member

I think this one is important enough to bold. Its turn-based only! After the POS. Lionheart, Its gonna be great to have a new real turn-based RPG to play! I'm really looking forward to it.

11. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

baldurs gate implemented a combination of real time and turn based combat that i think has been the most exciting combat system i've ever played in an rpg. its not as slow, and its more realistic in that everything is happening at once, which is an admitted improvement over pen and paper adnd, in which it is impossible to have everything happen at once. but anyway, i think i'll play the demo when it comes out, you guys have improved my expectations, thanks. :razz:

12. Canis

Canis New Member

If by "turn based combat" you mean "option to hit the pause button", yes you're correct about Baldur's Gate.

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

well there ARE actual turns going on, except they're all happening at once, but each round begins and ends when each combatant is done with they're number of moves, except all of this happens within the same amount of time, because the engine is so awesome. theres an option in bg2 where you can turn on all the dungeon master stuff in the text window, and it says when the turns turns and rounds end and begin etc.
    even if you hit pause those commands arent carried out until the character has enough moves to do so.

14. Canis

Canis New Member

The Baldur's Gate games attempted to adapt the turn-based rules of AD&D to a real-time tactics game. The engine (which is considered less than awesome among those who should know) attempts to emulate turn-based combat, but in reality all the player has is pause-n-play. Or real time + pause, whatever you like to call it.

Whole essays have been written on this topic, and I'll allow you to search and read up on them at your leisure. The BG games are in no way turn-based.

15. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i never said they were turn based. as far as i know they were a hybrid of turn based and real time combat. in dnd you have moves which could be compared to action points. in normal dnd you base who goes first and how many turns thay have is based on initiative on intitiative. as far as i know this is whats going on all at once in baldurs gate. if you pause and your mage is in melee combat and you tell him to cast a spell and he doesnt have enough turns, he'll wait till the round is over and has the necessary turns available. you can see all of this happening in the text box. so its similar to the action point turn based system of fallout etc, in that if you dont have the turns/ action points you cant do it till the next round.

thats my understanding of it at least. :thumbup: :???: :thumbdown:

16. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

For TURN-BASED combat look no further than Fallout’s and Jagged Alliance. There are actually some screenshot with the green/yellow/red “action bar�, but I'm too lazy to look for them now, maybe tomorrow.

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Ah, Sleek, you sound just like Volourn over at RPG Codex. "It's not real time - it's real time with pause! They're so different from each other!" Real time with pause is not a combination of real time and turn based combat - point out where the 'turns' are occurring. Pausing is simply that - a break in the action, not a way to determine who performs their actions in what order. There may be 6 second rounds, but everything is happening at the same time in those rounds - which doesn't constitute a turn.

The Infinity Engine is shit - combat is a complete farce. If Planescape had used a different engine, I'd probably call it the best RPG I've ever played. As it is, a pretty damn good job was done, only hampered by the engine.

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    ... and as I pointed out Sleek, D&D was made for turn-based combat. When WotC wrote down the rules, real-time action was never taken into the equation (it's quite impossible to play like that in a PnP session...)

And while I do like the Infinity Engine (I still play IWD2 quite frequently) I know I would had liked it better if it was turn-based. All these pause-unpause-pause-unpause... it get's tedious after a while. And it's not at all the way the game was meant to be played.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I've read somewhere (could be the ÃœberFAQ...) that all characters that roll the same Initiative will act at the same time. So you get a bit more "realism" (which, as always, is a very sensitive topic when you're talking about fantasy games anyway).

19. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

my favorite games when i was younger (9-11 and still living in the UK) were X-Com, and the original Worms, both of those were turn based, and still loads of fun. After i graduated from those i got into warcraft 2 just like everyone else. I liked it a lot back then but when i look back at it now, it was way to hard to keep track of all your troops and get them all to go places etc. and the only real tactics were just to build and upgrade shit as fast as possible, and then rush it all to the center of your oponents town. While this was exciting in multiplayer i dont necessarily consider it tactical. when i played baldur's gate my favorite part of it was that you could still pause and have time to figure out what you wanted to do, but the action was still moderatly fast paced. but it was also pretty easy, fallout 2 on the other hand was a nice challenge in comparison.

i dunno, i do like the tactical aspect of the fallout and jagged alliance games, but when it comes to fighting the lower ability oponents i just think its tedious to have to spend 10 minutes fighting a pack of wolves when in the end all of the wolves are dead and neither me or any of my followers have taken any damage. if it were an infinity engine game then i'd just pause, issue commands, unpause and wait until i needed to change those orders, or until all of the wolves were dead, and all that would have taken about 3 seconds, as opposed to running around and having to wait while everyone makes their moves. but then fallout wouldnt have been the same experience, so i guess every style has its place.

has anyone else ever played the original X-Com or Worms games? those were masterpieces. i need to go buy that new worms game...

20. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

<edit> sorry, i double posted. this post was originally identical to the one above, but i deleted this one so the page wouldnt be quite so long.

Our Host!